News   Jun 17, 2024
 165     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 214     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 349     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

511 will be buses in September.
You're dreaming. Steve Munro listed the changes for next board and it does not mention bus for the 511. This is not on TTC's website either: http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Accessible_service/index.jsp If there will be buses, it would be listed as accessible service starting September.

The number of buses needed in AM rush for next board are:
501L: 21
501M: 2
501R: 9
502: 9
503: 8
504 trippers: 7
506B: 4
Total: 60

Last year, TTC ran 68 streetcar replacement buses in September. Once the 501R, 503 and 506B revert to streetcars, buses could go on the 511.

Last edited:
You're dreaming. Steve Munro listed the changes for next board and it does not mention bus for the 511. This is not on TTC's website either: http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Accessible_service/index.jsp If there will be buses, it would be listed as accessible service starting September.

The number of buses needed in AM rush for next board are:
501L: 21
501M: 2
501R: 9
502: 9
503: 8
504 trippers: 7
506B: 4
Total: 60

Last year, TTC ran 68 streetcar replacement buses in September. Once the 501R, 503 and 506B revert to streetcars, buses could go on the 511.
The 511 will definitely be buses in September. I'm a streetcar operator and can confirm that the 511 was not available to us at sign-up for the September board period.

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Toronto_Transit_Commission_4000-4005,_4010-4199

According to this page, 35 CLRV are retired. It is proving hard to increase the in service vehicle count. Is the 511 reverting to buses because of streetcar availability?

I seem to recall that there was supposed to be some construction on Bathurst this fall, but I can't find any reference to it. Thus, I'm going to assume that the conversion is due to a shortage of cars.

The shortage is also why the 502 and 503, and some of the King trippers during the rush hours run with buses during some board periods.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Toronto_Transit_Commission_4000-4005,_4010-4199

According to this page, 35 CLRV are retired. It is proving hard to increase the in service vehicle count. Is the 511 reverting to buses because of streetcar availability?

I seem to recall that there was supposed to be some construction on Bathurst this fall, but I can't find any reference to it. Thus, I'm going to assume that the conversion is due to a shortage of cars.

The shortage is also why the 502 and 503, and some of the King trippers during the rush hours run with buses during some board periods.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Should the TTC be retiring the CLRVs so rapidly if they have a shortage of cars? Is this just a matter of not having enough funding to maintain the C's?

Should the TTC be retiring the CLRVs so rapidly if they have a shortage of cars? Is this just a matter of not having enough funding to maintain the C's?

It costs money to keep them around, right? And the TTC has only a limited amount of funding earmarked to do that.

If the repair costs meet or exceed a certain threshold, then the vehicle will be deemed uneconomical to repair and thus is to be retired. And that threshold changes - and generally is lowered - as that particular fleet size dwindles and more replacements enter service. This is the same methodology they use for bus and subway retirements, as well.

Is that threshold too low? Perhaps. It would have been nice to have seen some of the bustitutions cancelled as more and more of the Flexities enter the fleet, although that certainly hasn't happened yet.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

We may see 4441 in service come the 25th if there is no more problems with it. It currently heading north on Bathurst for the 2nd time today after going into the service bay after a trip to St Clair a few hours ago. This the first time since Thursday that 4441 has done a test run and it was only the 3rd then since arrival. It been in various service bays most of the time.

It got outside last night to the yard, but was short live and back into the service bay where it was still when I left late this morning.

If it does make service by the 25th, it will be in time to do 4442.

With only 9 day to go to get 4443 & 4444 ship, not looking good for meeting this month schedule and will be 2 in a row.

With only 9 day to go to get 4443 & 4444 ship, not looking good for meeting this month schedule and will be 2 in a row.
I can see possibly having 4443 her by the end of the month with 4444 being the first to arrive next month. Bomabrieer usually has a Summe break around this time of year anyway. Plus they had the door porblem they wer fixing with the ones deliverd and with the ones being assblmed as wll.

In other news, I have seen them turning some of the 509 cars at Queens Quay and Sapdian recently I got video of 4418 today coming out of the loop and heading westbound.

Huh, that's an interesting turn. They usually add more 509 service for the CNE and that can necessitate some turns to keep the larger number of cars running smoothly, but the service changes page doesn't say anything about the 509 changing this year. Was no service added for the CNE for the first time? [Edit: service supplemented as of this Friday August 18th, thanks drum - usually they post the service change well in advance]

Shortly after QQ fully reopened, there was a minor derailment of a flexity making the eastbound to northbound left turn here, a similarly rare turn--the operator was out of service at Fleet Loop and was directed to enter service on 510 northbound at Queen's Quay, and decided to use that turn instead of going the long way through the loop. There was a lot of debris in the seldom-used track for that turn, so the streetcar's wheels rode up on the debris out of the track onto the concrete. My impression was that, in addition to being seldom used, all of the QQ construction had likely contributed a much larger than usual amount of debris into the less-used turning tracks.

Maybe they've been regularly cleaning little-used turning tracks since that incident, as it really messed up service for several hours, or maybe it was indeed just a one-time thing due to all of the construction so one power washing set it right.

Last edited:
I can see possibly having 4443 her by the end of the month with 4444 being the first to arrive next month. Bomabrieer usually has a Summe break around this time of year anyway. Plus they had the door porblem they wer fixing with the ones deliverd and with the ones being assblmed as wll.
That was my thinking. 4443 would be ship this month with 4444 next month.

Either BBD paying overtime for people to work this month, or got them to take it later to keep things moving.

Well!!, thats was a short run for 4441 as it only made it to Gunns Loop and heading home to deal with the current issue.

As for 509 turning at Spadina, could be a problem down line and best to short turn it there to keep service moving.

Take the TTC to The Ex

August 16, 2017

Starting this Fri., Aug. 18, TTC service increases will make getting to and from the Canadian National Exhibition by transit quick and easy. And this Saturday, current and former armed service members will be able to ride free of charge.

Five TTC surface routes will have enhanced service until the end of the CNE, Mon., Sept. 4:
- 29 Dufferin - frequent bus service from Wilson and Dufferin stations to Dufferin Gate Loop
- 121 Fort York Esplanade - frequent service between the Distillery District and Princes' Gates Loop
- 193 Exhibition Rocket - frequent non-stop express bus service from Dundas West Station to Dufferin Gate Loop
- 511 Bathurst - frequent streetcar service from Bathurst Station to Exhibition Loop
- 509 Harbourfront - frequent streetcar service from Union Station to Exhibition Loop

This Sat., Aug. 19, the TTC is proud to offer free transit to Canadian veterans of war and peacekeeping missions, along with one companion, to commemorate the 96th Annual CNE Warriors' Day. Veterans and peacekeepers will be asked to show their service medals/ribbons to receive free TTC service.

The 121 can't get into Princes' Gate Loop. It's blocked off and the bus would have to loop on Strachan. They should just detour the 121 into Exhibition Loop to avoid all the traffic mess and people looking for parking in the area. Otherwise it wouldn't make a lot of sense to run frequent service where people can't have good access.

Back