News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.3K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 574     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I have put this into the "TTC: Other Items (catch all)" thread too as it makes more sense to talk about there, but it's worth noting here too being that this is because of the new streetcars:

Buses to replace streetcars on 512 St Clair route until December

June 16, 2016

Starting June 19, TTC accessibility and infrastructure work at St Clair and St Clair West stations and along St. Clair Ave. W. will require the 512 St Clair streetcars to be temporarily replaced by buses. The work at the stations includes installation of a new roof and replacement of the streetcar loading platform at St Clair Station, and construction of new elevators and streetcar track replacement at St Clair West Station.

Much of this work is required to prepare for the new, accessible streetcars, which are scheduled to begin operating on St. Clair Avenue in 2018.

In addition to the work inside the stations, work on the streetcar platforms on the streetcar right-of-way (ROW) will necessitate the 512 replacement buses to operate on St Clair Ave. in mixed traffic. The TTC is working with the City to co-ordinate traffic light timing to improve traffic flow.

The TTC has produced a video to explain these complex projects and their impacts on service. It can be viewed on the TTC's official YouTube channel:

June 19 to September 4

- 512 St Clair buses will replace streetcars along the entire route, operating on St Clair Ave.
- 90 Vaughan buses will be re-routed to Bathurst Station instead of St Clair West Station.

September 4 to December

- Streetcars will return to the western portion of the 512 St Clair route between St Clair West Station and Gunn's Loop (Keele St.).
- 512 St Clair buses will continue to replace streetcars between St Clair West and St Clair stations.

For the duration of this work, 512 St Clair buses will operate as proof-of-payment (POP) and PRESTO card readers will be on buses.

For full details on all related service changes, including bus boarding locations for the 512 St Clair buses and other routes (90 Vaughan, 88 South Leaside, 74 Mt Pleasant, 126 Christie and 33 Forest Hill), please view the online Construction Notice.​

Without the streetcars being on St. Clair until September and December, that means between 6 and 12 new Flexities should be expected to be delivered. In the meantime, the "extra" CLRV's can be used on the 514, 502, and 503.

Brad Ross does a great job of not flinching as the streetcars come up behind him. I wonder if there was a spotter on the film crew ready to pull him out of the way if he'd missed his marks?

Without the streetcars being on St. Clair until September and December, that means between 6 and 12 new Flexities should be expected to be delivered. In the meantime, the "extra" CLRV's can be used on the 514, 502, and 503.

Actually, Steve Munro's take is that there are so many streetcar tangent tracks out of service that there is a bus shortage, not a streetcar shortage for this summer construction period. So yes, the streetcars are returning to 502 and 503 because there are no buses available. They are on 512, 511, 509, 506...line 1 and line 2 construction shuttles...

Last edited:
One Flexity is supposed to be not he 514 as of today, out of the three vehicles assigned to the line on weekends.

4422 has arrived in Toronto.

4422 arrived Toronto on Friday, delivery to Hillcrest today.

Anyone up at 6:00 am Sunday, they can watch 4422 get move from Hillcrest to the Barns. Will go south on Bathurst and east on Queen.

With this delivery, expect to see 4422 in service June 28-30

Say farewell to 4401 as it gets ship to Thunder Bay when 4402 gets here. 4401 D sections well/suppose be replace with the rebuilt D sections from 4402.

514 is to have 10 new cars by year end or sooner with 509 taking a hit. Looks like 511 is being move to 2017 roll out. There will be one flexity on 514 all the time until they can get a 2nd.

Pans will not be used until the end of the year now or when a few detour routes are converted.

No word what car number will be at this time that will arrive pan only. Strong feeling from various personel, they want the pole gone as soon as they can off the new cars.

Last edited:
4422 arrived Toronto on Friday, delivery to Hillcrest today.

Anyone up at 6:00 am Sunday, they can watch 4422 get move from Hillcrest to the Barns. Will go south on Bathurst and east on Queen.

With this delivery, expect to see 4422 in service June 28-30

Say farewell to 4401 as it gets ship to Thunder Bay when 4402 gets here. 4401 D sections well/suppose be replace with the rebuilt D sections from 4402.

514 is to have 10 new cars by year end or sooner with 509 taking a hit. Looks like 511 is being move to 2017 roll out. There will be one flexity on 514 all the time until they can get a 2nd.

Pans will not be used until the end of the year now or when a few detour routes are converted.

No word what car number will be at this time that will arrive pan only. Strong feeling from various personel, they want the pole gone as soon as they can off the new cars.

So if a second car comes while College and Bathurst is being rebuilt, it's bottled up at Hillcrest? Good grief.

And when the St. Clair work is finished they'll put the same old streetcars back on them.
actually they'll probably start running them on it. The last i herd was the plan is to have spadina, queens quay and 514 be flexes by the summer and then in the fall have them start going out fleet wide to all routes. I think 514 is likely the last rout to be rolled out one by one. 509 is probably being held back until the exhibition loop opens again in time for the ex

So if a second car comes while College and Bathurst is being rebuilt, it's bottled up at Hillcrest? Good grief.

I'm sure they have a plan to get it down should it occur they could always do like they did with the first 3. and load them on to a flatbed truck and drive it don to Leslie if they had to.

There supposed to be 2 cars coming in July, but like the past, not holding my breath until I see them.

If it is to be move by flat, the flat will be ship from a track close to the yard. Wait!!! the track is at Commissioner St and Leslie. All they got to do, is lift the car off the flat and place it on the Leslie St track and tow the car to the yard.

And when the St. Clair work is finished they'll put the same old streetcars back on them.
Of courcse, since they are at the bottom these days, not the top like it was to be when the building of the ROW was completed in 2010, but no new cars here then.

There supposed to be 2 cars coming in July, but like the past, not holding my breath until I see them.

If it is to be move by flat, the flat will be ship from a track close to the yard. Wait!!! the track is at Commissioner St and Leslie. All they got to do, is lift the car off the flat and place it on the Leslie St track and tow the car to the yard.
The only problem is there aren't tracks leading into the yard at Leslie Street

The only problem is there aren't tracks leading into the yard at Leslie Street
The track is on the curve next to Leslie tracks and the yard.

Not that hard to swing the extra distance to get the car on the track with the right crane.

The track is on the curve next to Leslie tracks and the yard.

Not that hard to swing the extra distance to get the car on the track with the right crane.
True but I don't think the TTC is going to rent a crane and close Lakeshore Blvd just to get a streecar to the barn.

Back