News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.2K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 813     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

4407 died just as it was start to go across the bridge on QQW heading westbound towards Union. They have a pusher behind it and are just helping passengers out of it first.

When you see how crammed the Calgary LRT can get (to the point they had to add a fourth car and expand the platforms of every station) that seatings becomes an evilly need necessity.
Agree that it get's quite crammed in rush hour. Mostly the 201 has more riders. The newest cars they have were designed for standing space.

The problem with the C-Train system is the infrequent service they have during rush hour. I believe they run at 5 minutes and have a super slow travel time through the downtown core. Trains often wait at the split till it can proceed onto the 7th avenue tracks and would face lots of red signals. It's almost as bad as the 510 Spadina.

4407 died just as it was start to go across the bridge on QQW heading westbound towards Union. They have a pusher behind it and are just helping passengers out of it first.

I passed by just after the repair crews showed up, and decided to stop and watch. It looks like it was a problem with the contact shoe for the overhead. A crew removed and replaced the contact on the pole, and then 4407 was able to move again.

I passed by just after the repair crews showed up, and decided to stop and watch. It looks like it was a problem with the contact shoe for the overhead. A crew removed and replaced the contact on the pole, and then 4407 was able to move again.

Surely they could have run it with the Pan to Union and back to Queen's Quay and Spadina Loop to get it out of the way of service (temporarily cancel 510s turning there)? Are they that paranoid about using the pans? Pretty sure 509 is converted.

Surely they could have run it with the Pan to Union and back to Queen's Quay and Spadina Loop to get it out of the way of service (temporarily cancel 510s turning there)? Are they that paranoid about using the pans? Pretty sure 509 is converted.
Yes

TTC 4421 is on its way. CRO Thunder Bay correspondent Bryan Martyniuk took this picture in the CP "E" yard in Thunder Bay on Saturday.
Bryan Martyniuk photo with permission.View attachment 76633

Based on the 4420 experience it should be about time for 4421 to be in service, wonder if it will be this weekend? Any word from the spotters on 4422?

That's exactly what I was thinking at the time. With the pan, they could've even just backed it up a bit, then switched right into the loop, and done the repairs there.

There would be some idiot operator that will forget to take down the pan when they head back to the carhouse. TTC is afraid of this since docking that driver a few days of pay won't pay to for all the damage done to the overhead system. Plus if such thing happens, service would be messed up for the entire day. Overhead issues have been quite a problem already such as at King/Bathurst today. The 501/504 ended up diverting to Queens Quay for an hour.

From what I understand happened, the harp; end of pole and trolley rope fell off causing the spring loaded pole to swing up and kiss the sky. Putting the pantograph up would have let the car move but the pole would obviously snag the overhead. No pantograph paranoia on that one

Based on the 4420 experience it should be about time for 4421 to be in service, wonder if it will be this weekend?
It's been here 11 days. 4419 and 4420 took 10-11 days. 4418 took 15.

I'd put my money on Monday - but sometime this week I'd think, unless there is a problem.

Any word from the spotters on 4422?
I'm not aware of anything.

Back