News   Jul 16, 2024
 99     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 268     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Lots of new ones too though! I waited for a new one this afternoon as I only had Presto on me. Didn't have to wait long at all.

From the TTC CEO Report to next week's Board. He does not sound too optimistic that Bombardier will meet their much reduced target!

Twelve new streetcars continue to operate very reliably on the 509 Harbourfront and 510 Spadina routes. Bombardier continues to commit to ship 4 additional cars to be shipped from Thunder Bay and to have them inspected, tested and available for Revenue Service before the end of the year.

From the TTC CEO Report to next week's Board. He does not sound too optimistic that Bombardier will meet their much reduced target!

Twelve new streetcars continue to operate very reliably on the 509 Harbourfront and 510 Spadina routes. Bombardier continues to commit to ship 4 additional cars to be shipped from Thunder Bay and to have them inspected, tested and available for Revenue Service before the end of the year.
Unless those cars are on TTC property by the 14th, you can Kiss this year as well next year off.

Had no hope at the beginning of the year and things have live up like I expected.

Kitchener is in for a rough ride in 2016 that service could start in 2018.

Metrolinx needs to start worrying about their fleet.

That's basically impossible right?

That's basically impossible right?

Delivering four cars would require delivery by teams of flying reindeer.

If you assume each car needs 9 days of shakedown, not using Christmas or Boxing Day, you back up to the fourth car having to be here and on the road as of start of day Mon Dec 21. That's if TTC could shake down four cars in three weeks, which has never been done as yet.

If two cars left Thunder Bay right now (there appear to be exactly two transporter cars available), they might be unloaded on the 14th. Turning the transporter cars back to TB and bringing the second pair down for the 20th seems unlikely.

- Paul

Ultimately, they are going to need 3, and perhaps 4 transporter cars, if they can churn them out every 5 days, as the round trip has taken just over 2 weeks. So I don't think transporters are the limit.

Not that I think that's going to happen - I'll be surprised if they get another car in service in December, to be honest - let alone 4.

Edit - though looks like the next car (4402? 4414?) is ready for pickup, so perhaps they'll get another one in service after all. Still, that's only a single car arriving in Toronto during December. But if correct, this is about a 21 day build following a 28 day build - so that's actually a bit of progress.

Last edited:
I feel for Byford. He can't come out and say 'these guys are smoking something'. All he can say is 'I have been assured....' and try to not make it sound like he is actually promising anything.

Shades of John Cleese complaining about his parrot.....

- Paul

I feel for Byford. He can't come out and say 'these guys are smoking something'. All he can say is 'I have been assured....' and try to not make it sound like he is actually promising anything.

Shades of John Cleese complaining about his parrot.....

- Paul

Hopefully Bombardeier will take a large financial loss on this when the City sues them.

Hopefully Bombardeier will take a large financial loss on this when the City sues them.
The TTC Board has already authorized staff to take the $ settlement from Bombardier as extra new vehicles, rather than cash. (my guess is 10 to 20).

Hopefully, Bombardier ties the settlement to the extra 60 cars the city wants, giving us 264 new cars.

The TTC Board has already authorized staff to take the $ settlement from Bombardier as extra new vehicles, rather than cash. (my guess is 10 to 20).

Hopefully, Bombardier ties the settlement to the extra 60 cars the city wants, giving us 264 new cars.

unfortunately, unless the rate improves, the extra vehicles will mean nothing as we wont see them for another 5 years on top.

Back