News   Jul 15, 2024
 769     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 918     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 639     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Maintenance - unclear - how do we get information about this?
You could probably simply observe which ones are out of service for a few days ... like 4404 and 4405. The other day you complained, and I checked and there were 7 running. If only 1 being used for training, 2 could easily be maintained.

I think you read way too much into this. With 10 cars, you'd expect 2 to be out at any time, with the spare ratio. And 1 more for training you'd never expect more than 7 running; I guess 8 now with the 11th car.

Do you have any other theories?
Given they are transitioning them from Roncesvalles to Leslie in a couple of weeks, I'd think things would be erratic until then, but might be more consistent after that.

Given they are transitioning them from Roncesvalles to Leslie in a couple of weeks, I'd think things would be erratic until then, but might be more consistent after that.

Once Leslie opens, it will be really obvious what the utilization statistic is - just keep an eye on the yard.

- Paul

You could probably simply observe which ones are out of service for a few days ... like 4404 and 4405.
7 out right now, including 4404. Only 4405 hasn't been seen during last 3 days - though I don't know what was out in rush hour.

7 out right now, including 4404. Only 4405 hasn't been seen during last 3 days - though I don't know what was out in rush hour.
8 out now. All except 4400, 4405, and 4411.

I'm really not seeing this lack of new vehicles in service complaint being supported by data.

8 out now. All except 4400, 4405, and 4411.

I'm really not seeing this lack of new vehicles in service complaint being supported by data.

Consider that you post messages every time your observations differ from mine, and I post messages every time my observations differ from yours.

For every time I observe 6 cars, you seem to observe 8.

I also observed 5 at one point today but I didn't post it.

The reality of the car situation is somewhere in the middle of what we each see.

Clearly we both suffer from observation bias to prove each other wrong.

I'm willing to put aside my obvious dislike of you for the sake of ending this petty argument. I am getting sick of this. Are you?

Consider that you post messages every time your observations differ from mine, and I post messages every time my observations differ from yours.

For every time I observe 6 cars, you seem to observe 8.
Because you aren't looking at all the data. You consistently miss the ones temporarily off the tracker because there's no prediction, and fail to look at the raw data stream.

The reality of the car situation is somewhere in the middle of what we each see.
No it isn't. I'm saying that in a given day most vehicles enter service. In the last 3-4 days, 10 of the 11 vehicles have been in service. Not sure what you think is wrong with this observatoin.

Clearly we both suffer from observation bias to prove each other wrong.

I'm willing to put aside my obvious dislike of you for the sake of ending this petty argument. I am getting sick of this. Are you?
Dislike of me? Argument? Why would you dislike me simply because you are wrong? It's not my fault you are wrong.

It's not about like or dislike. If you would persist from posting there are only 5 cars in service, when 10 minutes later I see your post, check, and there are 7 in service, then there's nothing more to discuss.

We went through this somewhere back in the thread but I'm not finding it. Essentially, IIRC, each operator receives 2 weeks of training and they can train 2 operators per day per car.

Wow, I'm surprised they get/need that much training for a new streetcar/equipment. For the UP DMU's we get 2 days not 2 weeks. One day in class and one day running the equipment, which I might add is quite different from regular GO trains. I doubt transitioning to a newer streetcar is all that much more of a change.

Wow, I'm surprised they get/need that much training for a new streetcar/equipment. For the UP DMU's we get 2 days not 2 weeks. One day in class and one day running the equipment, which I might add is quite different from regular GO trains. I doubt transitioning to a newer streetcar is all that much more of a change.

In fairness, you are transitioning to a vehicle that has different performance metrics within the same regulatory baseline. By and large, the way you operate the equipment is the same, its just that it handles somewhat differently.

The LFLRVs are operated in a completely different manner than the existing equipment (for instance, hand-operated controls versus foot-operated), and behave in a very, very different manner than the old stuff. I would argue that 2 weeks isn't enough to unlearn all of those bad habits.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The LFLRVs are operated in a completely different manner than the existing equipment (for instance, hand-operated controls versus foot-operated), and behave in a very, very different manner than the old stuff. I would argue that 2 weeks isn't enough to unlearn all of those bad habits.

That does goes a long way to explain it. However,
In fairness, you are transitioning to a vehicle that has different performance metrics within the same regulatory baseline. By and large, the way you operate the equipment is the same, its just that it handles somewhat differently.

Same regulatory baseline and different handling yes, it's easy enough to operate and far less of an 'art' to stop. But just as importantly, we have to adjust to a counter intuitive control stand and backwards placement of controls between the A & C cars(who's the idiot that set that up!?) plus the engineer also takes over the previous responsibilities of CSA re; door controls and of course they're also trying to get us to take over the role of the conductor as well. Maybe two weeks is justifiable for the new streetcars but still that's ten times more time then we get. Somethings not right with that equation.

Last edited:
That does goes a long way to explain it. However,
Maybe two weeks is justifiable for the new streetcars but still that's ten times more time then we get. Somethings not right with that equation.

TTC training duration increased significantly in the shadow of the Russell Hill subway crash and possibly some other incidents. It used to be very short, for some vehicles only three days, with only two behind the actual controls and then you were expected to be out there operating. I think the training has a lot more behind-the-controls time to ensure that operators are comfortable with the operation of the vehicle before they're out there taking on passengers. This applies to new operators and existing operators training on vehicles new to them.

Despite complaints that many aren't in service on weekdays, there are 9 out now. All but 4405 and 4412. And similar numbers out all weekend. First time I looked today.

Despite complaints that many aren't in service on weekdays, there are 9 out now. All but 4405 and 4412. And similar numbers out all weekend. First time I looked today.

Let's put this stupid debate to rest for chrissakes. Give it up. I'm sick of this and I'm sure dozens of other readers of this thread are too.

I just looked, 5 minutes after you, and there are only 6. What the hell is going on?

Here's the screenshot of the Nextbus site on my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_79403FE01FF3-6FA6-455A-B2B7-E231BB50DE78.jpg
    IMG_79403FE01FF3-6FA6-455A-B2B7-E231BB50DE78.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 287
Last edited:

Back