News   Jul 15, 2024
 765     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 916     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 638     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Let's put this stupid debate to rest for chrissakes. Give it up.

I just looked, 5 minutes after you, and there are only 6. What the hell is going on?

Here's the screenshot of the Nextbus site on my phone.

Three minutes later there is 7.

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 132
I rode 4412 the other day and I was quite surprised to see the credit/debit tap-to-pay readers were not present on its fare vending machines. To anybody not following the Presto thread, I've mentioned that 4405 has the readers on both machines and they seem to be working perfectly well. I was expecting that now that they're starting that rollout the new LFLRVs will come with them built-in as opposed to needing a retrofit while out of service, but I guess Metrolinx disagrees for some reason. Hopefully eventually they start coming into service with the readers already installed...really expected 4412 to be the first such case.

I rode 4412 the other day and I was quite surprised to see the credit/debit tap-to-pay readers were not present on its fare vending machines. To anybody not following the Presto thread, I've mentioned that 4405 has the readers on both machines and they seem to be working perfectly well. I was expecting that now that they're starting that rollout the new LFLRVs will come with them built-in as opposed to needing a retrofit while out of service, but I guess Metrolinx disagrees for some reason. Hopefully eventually they start coming into service with the readers already installed...really expected 4412 to be the first such case.
I think stuff like that is customer not factory fit, and maybe the public pressure to see more LFLRVs hit the street cut into the "nice to have" list, so 4412 won't get them until it's shopped for some other reason?

I think stuff like that is customer not factory fit, and maybe the public pressure to see more LFLRVs hit the street cut into the "nice to have" list, so 4412 won't get them until it's shopped for some other reason?

Perhaps--I'm not sure exactly when and where the Presto payment readers at the doors, and the two SRVMs, get fit...I'm inclined to agree with you that they likely come out of Thunder Bay with holes/dangling wires there, then Metrolinx ships the equipment to the TTC separately, and the TTC wires/screws them into the rough-ins during the early post-delivery days at Hillcrest. However my thoughts were that Metrolinx would start shipping SRVMs to the TTC that have them equipped. Not sure if due to some bureaucracy that's not the plan, or if it'll just start with 4413 or 14.

I keep telling you: Look at the raw data, not that graphical website.

Between http://webservices.nextbus.com/service/publicXMLFeed?command=vehicleLocations&a=ttc&r=509&t=0 and http://webservices.nextbus.com/service/publicXMLFeed?command=vehicleLocations&a=ttc&r=510&t=0 there are 9 cars out right now. Though right now 4400 and 4403 aren't giving Nextbus predictions - not sure why. 4400 is in the Bay tunnel and 4403 is northbound near Spadina.

http://totransit.ca/ is also good for seeing ALL the vehicles, whether giving predicitons or not. As is http://doconnor.homeip.net/TransSee/Predict.php?a=ttc&stop0=510|9227&refresh=000

Caisse de dépot buys $1.5-billion stake in Bombardier rail division

See link.

Quebec’s provincial pension fund agreed to buy a 30-per-cent stake in Bombardier Inc.’s rail business for $1.5 billion, with the Canadian manufacturer shelving a public stock sale in the unit following a strategic review.

Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec will acquire convertible shares in a new holding company that the Montreal-based train and plane producer is creating out of its Bombardier Transportation division, the companies said in a statement Thursday. The transaction values the Berlin-based unit at $5 billion.

Bombardier was considering an initial public offering among options for the trainmaking unit to help shore up finances amid delays in the aircraft division’s introduction of its CSeries jetliner. Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard pledged the provincial government’s support for the company in late September. The pension fund will have the right to trigger an IPO in the new entity, BT Holdco, after five years, and a stock sale is also possible should control of Bombardier change, the companies said Thursday.

“This investment by CDPQ, which has a long history as one of our major investors, is a testimonial to the growth potential of the rail industry and to Bombardier’s leadership in seizing the opportunities this market offers on a global scale,” Bombardier Chief Executive Officer Alain Bellemare said in the statement.

NICE...so bbd rail div got bailed out... now hopefully they can finish our streetcars faster :) (sarcasm)

NICE...so bbd rail div got bailed out... now hopefully they can finish our streetcars faster :) (sarcasm)
Not sure how bbd rail got "bailed out".....BBD raised $1.5B in cash by selling 30% of their rail division. Pretty sure the cash they raised is not going to rail. Like most sales of this time....they have simply present valued future cash flow from rail and monetized to use in other operations.

Shareholders gave up future rail cashflow/profits for a cash injection.

No doubt....but the part of the mandate before the part you quoted is "optimal return on capital within the framework of depositors' investment policies" .

Maybe I just have too much experience with CDPQ in my working life....they defitnitely do not knowingly/willingly sacrifice the return part in favour of the Quebec part.

They seek investment returns for the pension plans they manage.....and when returns are identified favour Quebec over non-Quebec investments.....but the expectation of returns has to be there first.

No doubt....but the part of the mandate before the part you quoted is "optimal return on capital within the framework of depositors' investment policies" .

Maybe I just have too much experience with CDPQ in my working life....they defitnitely do not knowingly/willingly sacrifice the return part in favour of the Quebec part.

They seek investment returns for the pension plans they manage.....and when returns are identified favour Quebec over non-Quebec investments.....but the expectation of returns has to be there first.

They got a fair price; a $5B valuation on the rail division is reasonable or even a little on the low side.

Bombardier will likely either be in pretty good shape in 2018 if CS100 orders are placed and filled in a timely manner, or bankrupt. It's not a bad gamble if you assume the feds would not block sale to Chinese firms during a bankruptcy sale.

Last edited:
Caisse de dépot buys $1.5-billion stake in Bombardier rail division

See link.

Nice, not that I was worried since my job is layoff(and recession) proof since we're contractually obligated to provide a specific number of personal to GO/MX. Still nice to see some stability within the company and not at the taxpayers expense, well outside of Quebec that is.

Funny though, looks like Bombardier is being provincalized (just came up with a new term there!;) ) The provincial version of being nationalized.

The way things are going... by the time the C-series is done I'll officially be working for the province of Quebec! And that's to drive GO trains in Ontario lol :p

Back