News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 455     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Both of the PCCs had various mechanical quibbles that needed to be resolved but weren't able to be taken care of over the winter. The guys from Halton County have one of the cars running fine now - I think that's 4549 - and the other should be done by Labour Day.
Someone (perhaps you) mentioned that over the winter. But 4549 did show up in April at the Beaches the Easter parade. (for the record, the Witt 2766 had 4549 in front and 4030 behind - with brand-new 4406 following them)

Last edited:
Someone (perhaps you) mentioned that over the winter. But 4549 did show up in April at the Beaches the Easter parade. (for the record, the Witt 2766 had 4549 in front and 4030 behind - with brand-new 4406 following them.
Yes it did, but they were still having issues with it at the time.

The setup for the Beaches Parade is a fixture and took some work to pull it off this year. Lack of time, money and manpower doesn't help at all.

Yes it did, but they were still having issues with it at the time.

The setup for the Beaches Parade is a fixture and took some work to pull it off this year. Lack of time, money and manpower doesn't help at all.

4549 is the one that ran on 509 the weekend of June 19th for the opening. I rode it and it seemed fine. It was in service at least on Sat+Sun and maybe Fri as well.

Sounds like 4409 is coming. One of the two flatcars they've been using for transport arrived in Schreiber from Thunder Bay this morning. Presumably 4409 is on it, enroute to Toronto.

About 6 weeks since the last shipment. Still a lot of work to do to ramp it up to weekly! But it does meet the current delivery schedule. Hard to see how they'll get 2 delivered in August and 4 in September though.

Just wondering, how many people know that they have to press the red button to open the doors (both to enter or exit) on the new streetcars?

new-ttc-streetcar-ramp-exterior-corbin-smith.jpg

Or that they need to press the blue button to notify the driver, who does the actual deployment of the ramp?

Just wondering, how many people know that they have to press the red button to open the doors (both to enter or exit) on the new streetcars?

Or that they need to press the blue button to notify the driver, who does the actual deployment of the ramp?

I believe drivers have been instructed to open the doors for passengers instead of relying on the buttons. From my experience on them, they have indeed been opening the doors at every stop.

I believe drivers have been instructed to open the doors for passengers instead of relying on the buttons. From my experience on them, they have indeed been opening the doors at every stop.
They often seem to be, but not always. I was standing at Union a few months ago to board and the door didn't open until someone else pressed the button.

I've actually found it annoying when they do open the doors, and people just walk right up to the front door instead of boarding from any door. They need to put some large signage saying "Board using any door" for a bit until people get the idea. Possibly even a big sign pointing to the button saying "Press to open".

I've actually found it annoying when they do open the doors, and people just walk right up to the front door instead of boarding from any door. They need to put some large signage saying "Board using any door" for a bit until people get the idea. Possibly even a big sign pointing to the button saying "Press to open".

It's confusing because some streetcar routes aren't POP yet right?

I think that's the first time all 7 vehicles have been in service. Baby steps ...

I saw something on CP24 about 'TTC puts 7 new streetcars on 509' but I guess that meant the current batch were all going on that route, not that the next 7 would all run there. I think that was on Saturday.

I don't really see how it could be confusing or mysterious. The red button has a < > similar to the 'door open' symbol in many elevators, while the blue one is very clearly associated with wheelchair access.

I don't really see how it could be confusing or mysterious. The red button has a < > similar to the 'door open' symbol in many elevators, while the blue one is very clearly associated with wheelchair access.

The issue is that you know that an elevator door will open at the floor you want to go to without you needing to ever use that button. With the streetcars, people are used to the same thing (doors opening without needing to press a button). It will take some getting used to for people to understand the need to press the button in order to open the door.

The issue is that you know that an elevator door will open at the floor you want to go to without you needing to ever use that button. With the streetcars, people are used to the same thing (doors opening without needing to press a button). It will take some getting used to for people to understand the need to press the button in order to open the door.
You see this a lot in Europe, and yes people adjust to it. I've never entirely figured out the motivation for it though. It's not as if there's some vast energy savings by only opening some doors at stops. At least it's easier than those odd handles you have to flip on German subways in some cities.

I've never entirely figured out the motivation for it though. It's not as if there's some vast energy savings by only opening some doors at stops.
If it's -20C or 30C outside, and the door keeps opening unnecessarily, those anywhere near the door, will notice! That's the motivation!

Back