News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 866     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 349     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Judging by press releases, the official, Bombardier Approved pluralization is:

"BOMBARDIER FLEXITY light rail vehicles"

I work at BlackBerry, and have seen the kind of internal documents that always remind us to never pluralize "BlackBerry" itself. And also to always capitalize that second B. We don't sell "Blackberrys" or "blackberries"; we sell "BlackBerry Smartphones"

That's one of those bits of corporate wishful thinking and mild control-freakery that never works out in the real world, like Adobe asking that people not use 'photoshop' as a verb, or Xerox saying their brand name shouldn't be used as a synonym for 'copy' because their machines do other stuff as well.

Flexity light rail vehicles can be translated into various Romance languages. Note that Flexity in Latin is "Flexitas" in its nominative form, "Flexitatis" in its genitive form, etc. See here: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/-itas

Note that Flexity ends in -ity, which corresponds to the forms of -itas in Latin and their equivalent forms in Latin's descendents, such as French -ité, Spanish -idad, etc.

Flexity would be flexitas in Latin, if it were a word rather than a brand name, but brand names generally don't get translated except for reasons of comprehensibility and/or cultural difference.

4404 was doing some training on King Street yesterday afternoon....had one of those "that puts it in perspective moments"

IMG_20150421_174248.jpg

With its nose at University, it stretched the entire length (width?) of "the Wave" building (100 University Ave.) to Emily Str. That means with its nose at the University stop...its tail was 73 metres from the Simcoe stop! I honestly don't remember but was it decided that one of these stops would be eliminated?

Attachments

• IMG_20150421_174248.jpg
    IMG_20150421_174248.jpg
    854.7 KB · Views: 742
So, if it's a gaggle of geese, and a pride of lions, what is the plural noun for these beasts?

A Ford of Flexities gets my vote :)

- Paul

That means with its nose at the University stop...its tail was 73 metres from the Simcoe stop!
I'm measuring 68 metres in Google maps ... so that sounds about right.

I honestly don't remember but was it decided that one of these stops would be eliminated?
Looking back at the May 2014 report both the Simcoe and York stops (both sides) were recommended for removal, along with the westbound Victoria stop. And the board passed this without any modifications for those stops.

Flexity would be flexitas in Latin, if it were a word rather than a brand name, but brand names generally don't get translated except for reasons of comprehensibility and/or cultural difference.

That would make the ablative plural flexitatibus, which would compound the confusion. :confused:

Back