News   Jul 12, 2024
 941     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 831     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 336     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

wonder if we are going to get to every 10 days before the end of the year.. I mean this is absolutely horridly slow at the current rate. We are looking at over a year right now to just get spadina fully operational with new streetcars..

The anti-climber keeps the whole front end from telescoping in a collision. I'm sure if you hit a Flexity completely above the bumper at high speed the damage would be pretty bad. The CLRV was likely scrapped because it was a collision between TTC vehicles, therefore no insurance funds to repair the car.

The TTC has its own captive insurance company. The "insurance funds" are effectively their own money. No 3rd party paying any claims (unless the other drivers insurance company will pay).

Insurance companies need to earn profit, hold capital and pay a commission to a broker which increases premiums vs insuring through a captive. Offsetting this is the economies of scale and claims management expertise that insurance companies have. Makes economic sense for the TTC to have a captive insurance company (I wonder if the City has their own or use the TTC's captive?)

https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Au...June_24_2014/Reports/Draft_Financial_Stat.pdf

The CLRV was likely scrapped because it was a collision between TTC vehicles, therefore no insurance funds to repair the car.

The damage to 4062 was not quite as bad as the damage suffered by 4043 when it was hit by a loaded cement truck. 4043 was repaired and returned to service because in 2005 they needed as much equipment on the streets as possible.

With 5 Flexities in service (and another on the way), the TTC can stand to loose a couple of Cs now, and thus 4062 won't be repaired.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The damage to 4062 was not quite as bad as the damage suffered by 4043 when it was hit by a loaded cement truck. 4043 was repaired and returned to service because in 2005 they needed as much equipment on the streets as possible.

With 5 Flexities in service (and another on the way), the TTC can stand to loose a couple of Cs now, and thus 4062 won't be repaired.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Has the TTC internally thought about how to maintain a significant number of the CLRV's beyond the Flexity rollout? I don't think they have enough Flexities for growth in demand and was hoping they had a contingency for that (other than spending more capital on new Flexities which they may not have)

....and is the plural of Flexity -- Flexities, Flexity's or Flexitii? :) I know its not Flexitii...just think it rolls off the tongue better ( -ii is only used for words ending in -us )

....and is the plural of Flexity -- Flexities, Flexity's or Flexitii? :) I know its not Flexitii...just think it rolls off the tongue better ( -ii is only used for words ending in -us )

I would say Flexities. Even though 'flexity' is not a 'real' word in the sense of describing a thing or concept, it should follow the rules as if it were. (There's a contrary argument that brand names shouldn't need to follow the established patterns, which would mean Flexitys, but I don't like the look of that one.

-ii is for words ending in -ius (radius, etc.), not -us, which is commonly -i in the plural.

Has the TTC internally thought about how to maintain a significant number of the CLRV's beyond the Flexity rollout? I don't think they have enough Flexities for growth in demand and was hoping they had a contingency for that (other than spending more capital on new Flexities which they may not have)
Yes they have, but it's not CLRVs that will be maintained, it's ALRVs. There was a new budget entry in the 2015 budget for starting a 10-year life extension of 30 (if I remember correctly) ALRVs.

Judging by press releases, the official, Bombardier Approved pluralization is:

"BOMBARDIER FLEXITY light rail vehicles"

I work at BlackBerry, and have seen the kind of internal documents that always remind us to never pluralize "BlackBerry" itself. And also to always capitalize that second B. We don't sell "Blackberrys" or "blackberries"; we sell "BlackBerry Smartphones"

I work at BlackBerry, and have seen the kind of internal documents that always remind us to never pluralize "BlackBerry" itself. And also to always capitalize that second B. We don't sell "Blackberrys" or "blackberries"; we sell "BlackBerry Smartphones"

I have to quibble with the underlined word in your last sentence......as a loyal BlackBerry user (carrying 2 right now) I feel the whole value of them diminishing over time because you don't actually do that ;)

Interesting. I'm pretty sure that another forum member here also works for BlackBerry.

You mean BOTH BlackBerry employees are UTers? :->

50284-Oh-stop-it-you-JGzE.png

Flexity light rail vehicles can be translated into various Romance languages. Note that Flexity in Latin is "Flexitas" in its nominative form, "Flexitatis" in its genitive form, etc. See here: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/-itas

Note that Flexity ends in -ity, which corresponds to the forms of -itas in Latin and their equivalent forms in Latin's descendents, such as French -ité, Spanish -idad, etc.

Last edited:

Back