News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 457     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Streetcar #4405 looks different when in a different light and using black & white photography film.

attachment.php

The number on the front of 4405 was black when it arrived a few weeks ago. Now it is white.

And the numbers were black on 4403 during delivery as well, and on 4400 prior to being accepted. As I've written before, the spec from Bombardier called for black numbers on the units, but the TTC has decided to go with white digits for the front numbers.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Gotta keep those union members employed no matter what!

My thoughts exactly haha. But seriously whoever made the decision for this change should be disciplined/fired for wasting loads of money (esp. if they continue this change for the entire order). Unfortunately that probably wont happen
because theyre either union protected or TTC doesnt have the foresight/hindsight to realize.

Wasting loads of money? Are you serious. We are talking about number decals. Whatever the cost of this, it is a drop in the bucket.

Wasting loads of money? Are you serious. We are talking about number decals. Whatever the cost of this, it is a drop in the bucket.

OK fine its not in the hundreds of thousands of dollars and up so how about you pay the wage of whoever is doing this (peel without damaging paint, clean surface, align numbers, stick numbers)x204. Lets say, even if even if the going rate for a standard unionized installer is $20/hr thats enough to pay for a presto turnstyle or two at a subway station, which would be more cost effective than white vs black. In a time where Tory is preaching money saving, small wastes like these (and others such as the switch to blue seats to please AODA advocates) add up.

OK fine its not in the hundreds of thousands of dollars and up so how about you pay the wage of whoever is doing this (peel without damaging paint, clean surface, align numbers, stick numbers)x204. Lets say, even if even if the going rate for a standard unionized installer is $20/hr thats enough to pay for a presto turnstyle or two at a subway station, which would be more cost effective than white vs black. In a time where Tory is preaching money saving, small wastes like these (and others such as the switch to blue seats to please AODA advocates) add up.
I can only assume these is some kind of spoof ... but I'm afraid I'm not fully getting it.

Dude, they changed the numbers on three streetcars. That isn't enough to pay for a presto turnstyle or two. Are you high?

I can only assume these is some kind of spoof ... but I'm afraid I'm not fully getting it.

Layman's terms: A cash strapped TTC is making alot of poor/seesaw decisions that is continuously wasting money and time

Maybe I'm overreacting on a small issue but since we are all making a big deal of every single detail of every individual unit that arrives once a quarter
Please explain why they need to change from black to white as soon as they arrive and why it wasn't done at the factory when it couldve been for free

Maybe on saturdays but not today. if you fully read, the deduction was based on 204 trams

And I ignored it because it made zero sense. Presumably all future streetcars will now have white numbers instead of black, so the only streetcars that are going to be changed are the ones that are here and not going back.

You seem to be trying to make this into a union issue, which I don't understand at all.

And I ignored it because it made zero sense. Presumably all future streetcars will now have white numbers instead of black, so the only streetcars that are going to be changed are the ones that are here and not going back.

You seem to be trying to make this into a union issue, which I don't understand at all.

Of course you wouldnt understand because at no point did I make it a union issue. I refer to the unions because they will have to pay most likely unionized workers for the install
but my issue is with the TTC management for retroactive flip flopping with brand new equipment. another example of this include the TR external speakers/handle strap job

Layman's terms: A cash strapped TTC is making alot of poor/seesaw decisions that is continuously wasting money and time
So you propose them to spend about 10 times as much renegotiating the contract to save a few minutes here and there?

I'd think that if one were to raise this with TTC in an official complaint, the amount of money they'd spend to respond would be more than the cost of simply putting new numbers on.

Do you propose that they also install the advertisements (all for TTC so far that I've seen) at Bombardier, so that TTC staff doing have to stick them in themselves?

Back