News   Apr 25, 2024
 289     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 910     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 948     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I love this new streetcar and the crowds did too.

[video=youtube;aT68UQVfrnA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT68UQVfrnA&list=UUX-Hig3SImVD5GxzlWb-IQQ&feature=share&index=3[/video]

I wish Metrolinx could prod the TTC to stop dragging its feet and get at least in line with the curve instead of eons behind it.
Why blame TTC? TTC handed over implementation to Metrolinx, who seem to have, like in Ottawa, dropped the ball. TTC has been pressuring Metrolinx to speed up implementation.

Uhh...no
It was.ttc's call a few years ago to.stall the.process because they wanted to test out their own readers for their Metrocards. Internal politics and ttcs unwillingness to implement quickly is the problem. In either case.though this is honestly seriously unacceptable! They had over a year to test the system since the first ones arrived. Doesn't matter what excuse they have they had the resources and responsibility to use our tax money timely and effectively as promised. Remember that yrt installed and implemented presto in their entire system sooner than these new.streetcars have been on property. I fail to understand what more.testing they need. There is nothing substantially different from all the surrounding presto equipped agencies. Don't.forget this is just streetcars. What about.the rest of bus fleet?! At this rate we won't see full service on the entire network until the next.decade! And.this will only make things more expensive as each year goes by. Whoever is incharge of testing and implementation should be demoted or fired. Not to mention the ceo of Ttc should answer with why they're being morons for continously not meeting targets with their "testing".Ttc is.the core system in the gta and their inability to implement a fare system is damaging the effectiveness of presto and taking riders and taxpayers hostage. This has gone far enough!

I'm more impatient as to how this will affect the implementation of the 2 hour transfer. The best metaphor I can think of to describe that debacle is the TTC is in a two-timing relationship with it, tell the 2 hour transfer that she will be implemented system wide just as soon as he can break it off with the restricted transfer. Yet when the time comes to break it off, he just can't seem to leave the abusive relationship with her because he needs her revenue.

Meanwhile the TTC's position on the issue to the public is just as much as a flip flop. One day they will say that the current transfer system will continue, yet when asked why St. Clair has a "pilot project" which has been operating for 9 years they claim it is coming system wide with Presto...

When the TTC released a report about the expected costs associated with the transfer, it made only a passing reference to St. Clair, despite the obscene length of time it has been running. To hell with Presto, whoever is in charge of pilot projects on the TTC needs to be taken out back and shot!

yes, token machines and ticket validaters.

Spadina will probably be OK without PRESTO for a few months as a lot of the users of the line get on in a fare paid zone anyway.

One easy way of fare evasion might be to get on the streetcar at the last stop before the subway, not pay, and then get off into a fare paid zone where it is assumed everyone has paid.

yes, token machines and ticket validaters.

Spadina will probably be OK without PRESTO for a few months as a lot of the users of the line get on in a fare paid zone anyway.

One easy way of fare evasion might be to get on the streetcar at the last stop before the subway, not pay, and then get off into a fare paid zone where it is assumed everyone has paid.

wouldn't the conductor ask for payment at the stop? :confused:

wouldn't the conductor ask for payment at the stop? :confused:

The streetcar driver won't be collecting fares on the new LFLRVs. You just walk on the streetcar. On board you'll find a fare vending machine where you can put fare and get a ticket stamped. Or you can swipe your Presto card. Or just take a seat if you have a Metropass or transfer. Or you could just not pay, but that would make you a very, very bad person (I'm looking at you innsert).

So, I guess it will still be POP except there will be a machine on the vehicles that take tokens and give receipts?

From the Star article:

“The fare payment service on the new streetcars when they go into service will consist only of a single-ride vending machine and ticket validator,” said TTC spokesman Brad Ross.

When Presto does become available on the streetcars, users will need to first tap their card on an electronic reader when they enter the vehicle and then tap a machine on board to get a proof-of-payment receipt/transfer. That second tap is temporary until Presto is fully deployed across the TTC, and is necessary to ensure riders can transfer to the subway or other vehicles that aren’t Presto-equipped.

I guess since the driver is isolated I guess they can't have people actually paying on the vehicles.....my guess is that there will be a labour cost here as the only efficient way to combat fare evasion would be to have staff on the platform at each of the doorways checking that people have paid fare before they board.

The TTC will probably have the inspectors target passengers who get on at the last stop for this very reason.

The problem is that the inspectors will presumably be uniformed. If you get on the streetcar at the last stop and don't see an inspector on board, you've got yourself a free ride.

Back