News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 895     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Is it? I don't know any employer where this is true. One person doing the work of 4-5 people and getting the pay of 60% of a person seems to be the flavour of the age.

At any rate, the people who will be removing the trolley poles are not the ones who made the decision to keep the poles on this new order. You think they couldn't find anything more constructive to do if these cars had come with pantographs only?
who said im blaming the contractor who will benefit from the extra work now? Im blaming the lazy/negligent spec writer who prepared the spec for this order. less work as they didnt bother to update the spec and just copy and paste from something 10 years out of date...

Reactions: max
that trolley pole is a symbol of the ineptness of TTC to sort their system and actually update their spec properly. we as a tax payer just wasted hundreds of thousands of dollars on ordering these necessary poles and will waste hundreds of thousands more just to remove them in the near future...SHAME. first of all the conversion to panto shouldve been done YEARS ago. second, is even if its not converted they could easily have diverted the current cars to Russell instead... but of course...less work for more pay is the mantra these days...
The Russell Yard comment was meant as a joke. I really just made note about the pole because there's been speculation about whether this would happen.

I agree with you that the poles shouldn't be on this order but I doubt the poles or their removals will cost "hundreds of thousands of dollars". Totally in agreement though that the panto conversion should have been completed long ago. The fact that today there are still places on the network that are closed awaiting overhead wiring upgrades is a shame.

Last edited:
Still having a trolley pole on the new streetcar arrivals is like requiring hand crank starter on autos, even though all internal cumbution autos have electric starter motors.

hemmings-file-photo.jpg

From link.

In the photo the pantograph is down. If it isn't tracking, I'd think that's still the case.
It wasn't tracking yesterday as well as I had the tracker up for it. I was expecting to be off loaded this week with Tuesday being the earliest based on what CP may do for dropping the car off.

In the comment section on that Munro article there has since been a couple of comments that might shed some light as to why trolley poles are still present: https://stevemunro.ca/2023/08/10/tt...-new-streetcars/comment-page-1/#comment-72608

It is suggested that they are still present in case of an issue that drops the pantograph so the car can make it back to the yard.
The new pantograph system at intersections does not allow poles to be use for it unless TTC change its mind again. As we have seen for the last 2 years, no PCC, Witt, ARLV and CLRV have taken part in the Beach(es) Easter Parade because of the new system. The days of the poles are over.

The only place in the system where poles are needed is at Russell Yard for the next 2 years until it fully rebuilt ground up with the new pan system.

4604 still not tracking and is at Leslie Barn's

Reactions: PL1
The new pantograph system at intersections does not allow poles to be use for it unless TTC change its mind again. As we have seen for the last 2 years, no PCC, Witt, ARLV and CLRV have taken part in the Beach(es) Easter Parade because of the new system. The days of the poles are over.

The only place in the system where poles are needed is at Russell Yard for the next 2 years until it fully rebuilt ground up with the new pan system.

4604 still not tracking
If Milano, Italia could use pantographs on Peter Witt streetcars, so could Toronto.

The CLRVs were tested using pantographs.
clrvwithpantographrfc.jpg
From link.

Power collection methodologies can be adapted.

If I recall correctly, originally the rewire was being done in a way to accommodate both pantos and poles. While it doesn't make sense for the whole system to be wired that way, it would have been nice to keep a single heritage corridor open capable of handling both.

The frogs at the intersections are all being changed to something that looks more like a copper 'plate' so I am sure poles would not work and to get full advantage of the pantographs the TTC needs to 'stagger' the wire so it does not always hit the same area of the pantograph and the panto will thus not wear out so fast. The new overhead supporting wires are adjustable to accommodate this but I do not know if any has actually been changed yet. The days of poles are gone and it really is pretty stupid to be receiving cars now that have them

If I recall correctly, originally the rewire was being done in a way to accommodate both pantos and poles. While it doesn't make sense for the whole system to be wired that way, it would have been nice to keep a single heritage corridor open capable of handling both.
That is correct until the existing fleet retired. Once the existing fleet retired, the OS was modify to pans only.

The existing Heritage Fleet can be converted to pans at a cost that is not in TTC budget these days.

If TTC never puts the Heritage Fleet back on the road, it will make them the laugh stock when systems in Europe have older cars than TTC fleet still in service on special lines as well part of the year. This will leave 3 systems in NA still running Heritage Equipment in Service.

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders whether they will use the lack of pantos as an excuse to try turfing off the heritage fleet again. The ridiculous prices they charge for charters has already dissuaded most people from making any use of the cars while they still could, and the fact that they can't use the cars now without money a city like Toronto is somehow having trouble ponying up sounds like a convenient excuse. There doesn't appear to be anything resembling appetite for heritage preservation from anyone in charge of anything these days.

Another thing that would be more valuable than renaming Dundas Street!

I saw it WB on King at John at around 6:30 yesterday evening
I have yet to see it tracking west of Leslie

Based on what I have seen so far tracking 4604, it only running east of Leslie and the Barns on Queen St.

It hasn't visited other parts of the system where it can run, like St Clair or on the 506 route like in the past.

The tracker is saying last seen 7 hours ago.

Back