News   Apr 23, 2024
 178     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 394     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.2K     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

4603 is not tracking but was reported by a CPTDB member as being out testing along King Street around 7 PM
Still isn't

4601 ran all night as in service either as 501 or 301 testing and became a dot on its way back to the Barns. It was a 501 at 1am when I crash and an 301 in Long Branch a 6am.

4406 been sitting out in the yard on the service line waiting for a slot in the service bay. Been here 40 days so far and a few more days till service like 4400 that took 47 day to get it back into service.

Looks like 4405 will be the next car to be off loaded as its in Lambton yesterday and the only car with a 5 on it that out for welds fix. It was loaded May 01, 2019 and almost 9 months off TTC property once off loaded.

4406 Still in the service bay as well 4601.
4603 out testing.

Edit:: This video was sent to me

No overhead with charging done at the station either overhead or ground level.

TTC Next Car order and replacement fleet.

Last edited:
4602 has enter service on St Clair 512 after arriving January 17, 2019

4406 Still in the service bay as well 4601.
4603 out testing.

Edit:: This video was sent to me

No overhead with charging done at the station either overhead or ground level.

TTC Next Car order and replacement fleet.
in 30 years maybe. I don't really see them going around an removing the network that they have just spent a lot of time and money upgrading for pantographs anytime soon.

in 30 years maybe. I don't really see them going around an removing the network that they have just spent a lot of time and money upgrading for pantographs anytime soon.

...and with little or no support for public transit from the suburban councillors (or MPP's), don't expect any innovation funding from them.

in 30 years maybe. I don't really see them going around an removing the network that they have just spent a lot of time and money upgrading for photographs anytime soon.
You don't need to do anything for the overhead until the new fleet has replace the current one 100%. Only after the last Flexity is retire, then you start removing the existing overhead or a route by route starting with 512. It doesn't stop TTC going the new route sooner than later. Once you go to the new system, only need 20% of the existing overhead workforce and saving millions by no fixing a full system.

Given past experience with things that were supposed "save millions", I'd be wary that it doesn't turn into another costly fiasco like Presto.
How many crews does TTC have now to deal with the current system??? How many miles does TTC have for overhead??? How much work will be require to maintain 20' of overhead every mile or more to recharge/top up the battery??? What does it cost to maintain the existent system including the cost to buy the material, fixtures, Poles and etc???

The Presto was a failure from day one and was to be sold around the world by the Province. All province items that were to be sold to the world have fail so far. SRT and the old Streetcar fleet were 2 of those failure.

The old streetcar fleet lasted 40 years, sounds like more of a success in my eyes.
The ALRVs were dying 20 years into their life. Although the might be the cause of TTC maintenance negligence early in their lives. We don't really know what the CLRV MDBF was back in the 90s. Considering TTC buses were breaking down every 5k km or so back then, I wouldn't be surprise they were performing pretty bad back then too.

Their design wasn't a success since no other cities bought them with an exception of a small batch of modified ALRVs.

The old streetcar fleet lasted 40 years, sounds like more of a success in my eyes.
Your are talking TTC only, but no other system bought them. A few modified design cars got sold, but no one came knocking on the doors for these tanks. The ALRV's were a failure on many fronts for TTC and they were glad see them going in 2014/15 only to be forced to keep them another 4 years thanks to BBD. It wasn't TTC maintenance that was the issue, but the design of the cars and parts.

The CLRV's did what there were supposed to do to a point and only the staff of TTC keep them on the road longer than they should have been. If TTC staff wasn't so good at rebuilding equipment better than building them new, the fleet would have been in the scrap yard over a decade ago.

Back