News   Mar 28, 2024
 151     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 595     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 366     0 

TTC Fleet Procurement Strategy - 2022

What I am wondering is if they will match the excelleration profile of the T1's so that they can maintain schedule. The TR's are okay on line 1 due to the stations being more far apart but on line 2 the stations require quick acceleration and stopping to maintain schedule. If anyone remembers the H1 and H2 days they could get that done real quick.
The TRs don't do okay on line 1 at all.

I did some digging around in old TTC service summaries. In 2007, it took 118 minutes to do a round trip from Finch to Downsview and back in the morning rush hour, with an average speed of 30.9 km/h. In 2017, the same trip took 132 minutes, with an average speed of 27.6 km/h. Right now, Google Maps says that trip would take 130 minutes (there are no short turns at Downsview anymore so I can't grab that data from the service summary anymore), so they've knocked a paltry two minutes off the running time. Meanwhile, while in 2007 a round trip from Kennedy to Kipling and back took 101 minutes, today it takes... 102 minutes.

I wouldnt read much into the design of the train at this point. We dont even know who will be selected (although Alstom is the obvious bias).

Lets remember this was the early renderings of the streetcars that were to replace the CLRVs and ALRVs:
1666311852304.png

The only thing i'd read into the early renderings is that the TTC seems set on a stainless steel (or similar material) for the design. I havent gone through the RFP yet so I dont know if they actually spelled that out yet.

Just on time, @Steve Munro is out with a story on the RFP and has highlights:

A couple of graphics from Steve's story, for the rest, follow the link:

View attachment 433757

View attachment 433758

Lots of other interesting bits from Steve!
7 for Scarborough, 4 for maturity
8 for Yonge North, 8 for maturity

Can someone explain to me the math here?

7 for Scarborough, 4 for maturity
8 for Yonge North, 8 for maturity

Can someone explain to me the math here?
So the base scope is 480 cars (80 6-car trains) to replace Line 2's T1 trains for today's service.

The 7 for Scarborough and 8 for Yonge North are needed to provided service on those extensions, and I guess the TTC is hoping for the province to pay for it. I can't remember what the deal says about rolling stock.

'Maturity' involves catering for future demand on those extensions, and the 4 + 8 trainsets are for that.

Cross posted to TTC Other.

Not sure if this has been posted somewhere. Maybe time for a new thread?

Shout out to the misguided person in the Linkedin comments suggesting that the new trains should be battery powered only to save peak time energy use 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Yeah this is Alstom's bid to lose, politically speaking - depends on how lowball the CRRC bid is, and how good their lobbying has been.

The design of the train (unsurprisingly) looks very engineering led, just copying & pasting the large chunks of the Toronto Rocket specification really. The colour choice is interesting - I would like to see a bright red subway train tbh, would be distinctive.

I guess we'll have to wait until the Ontario line for a contemporary, outcome based train design from Hitachi!

The only thing i'd read into the early renderings is that the TTC seems set on a stainless steel (or similar material) for the design. I havent gone through the RFP yet so I dont know if they actually spelled that out yet.
The preference is for a stainless steel body, although there is a provision within the RFP to offer aluminum provided the proponent can show that it will last the full 35 year lifespan of the cars.

Dan

And why not build them longer to take up the whole platform.
That was supposed to be the plan with the 7th car add on. The add on will be a small car and better off going to 7 equal length. You could have one end pass the platform for a short distance since they will be only the driver on the train in the first place. In time, there will be no driver at all.

Back