News   Apr 26, 2024
 164     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 368     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 532     0 

TTC Fleet Procurement Strategy - 2022

Windows on the front probably won't be in the design except for the drivers. I don't see the TTC ordering a driverless fleet anytime soon, Maybe the Ontario line will be but we don't know anything about what they are planning on.
Metrolinx seems pretty definitive that OL will be driverless. And why wouldn't it be.

We've known the Ontario Line is planned to be fully automated for a while now.
true but we don't know what the design of the trains will be and if they will have windows on the front of them. There are many reasons for not having a front window and not just because of having it closed off for a driver.

true but we don't know what the design of the trains will be and if they will have windows on the front of them. There are many reasons for not having a front window and not just because of having it closed off for a driver.
Do you known of any automated systems without front windows?

Witnessing suicides is off the list if they have platform screening doors.
Fear of terrorists seeing the track and infrastructure?

Do you known of any automated systems without front windows?

Witnessing suicides is off the list if they have platform screening doors.
Fear of terrorists seeing the track and infrastructure?
I just don't really get the need for a window at the front of the train. Plus until Metrolinx actually orderers them I won't believe anything they say about designs or what they are planning on.

I just don't really get the need for a window at the front of the train. Plus until Metrolinx actually orderers them I won't believe anything they say about designs or what they are planning on.
You can sit in back of your SUV on trips up to your campground then, as your spouse drives.

The Toronto Rocket design is proven and reliable (they are a tad on the slow side), so could Alstom make a revamped version of the TR's?
The TTC's projected specs for the new subway cars call for some things to be carried over from the TRs, but other changes and improvements as well.

Dan

You can sit in back of your SUV on trips up to your campground then, as your spouse drives.
Huh what does that have to do with public transit? There is a big difference between driving in a car vs taking public transit that will spend most of its time underground with nothing to see.

There is a big difference between driving in a car vs taking public transit that will spend most of its time underground with nothing to see.
If you don't have windows you will certainly enforce that to be true. Front and rear facing windows are the most interesting ones. Even for side windows I look out the windows in the tunnel watching the cables flow up an down the wall, the lights flashing by, the shine of the neighbouring rail, the trains passing by, the platforms and the people on them. I don't want a transportation system that feels like you spent 30-90 minutes in an elevator (that doesn't have windows because some designers think that even to go up 12 floors being nice to passengers is important).

If you don't have windows you will certainly enforce that to be true. Front and rear facing windows are the most interesting ones. Even for side windows I look out the windows in the tunnel watching the cables flow up an down the wall, the lights flashing by, the shine of the neighbouring rail, the trains passing by, the platforms and the people on them. I don't want a transportation system that feels like you spent 30-90 minutes in an elevator (that doesn't have windows because some designers think that even to go up 12 floors being nice to passengers is important).
I like to look out the windows too but when people talk about driverless trains they get this idea of huge windows like they have on airport people movers when the reality is that it probably won't be as big and there will most likely be seats looking away from it or maybe not much room as they would have somewhere for an operator to go just incase of a problem with the system.

I like to look out the windows too but when people talk about driverless trains they get this idea of huge windows like they have on airport people movers when the reality is that it probably won't be as big and there will most likely be seats looking away from it or maybe not much room as they would have somewhere for an operator to go just incase of a problem with the system.
You have the front setup as a cab like the Flexity with no operator in it. Been on some intercity trains where I was watching what was in front of the train from my seat while looking over the shoulder of the operator and have a few videos of it I shot in Europe. Trying to recall what the front was on the driverless train in London UK and no clue at this time.

I miss sitting in the rail fan seat on Line 2 due to COVID-19 as well line 1 with no view at all.

BBD went to the Ford Government to get their driverless trains for the OL before the sale as well the Liberals. BBD was pushing their driverless during the EA for the SRT in place of the LRT.

Well they went out of their way to design a large front window, especially accessible for children, on the new REM trains. If the opportunity is there for a large front window, it would be stupid not to take advantage of that to give a more spacious and brighter environment.

Not many places in the world are building "greenfield" subway/metro lines that aren't GoA4 UTO driverless - the technology is mature, why would you sign yourself up to high labour costs if you can avoid it.

(Of course, extensions to existing lines/conversions to automated is another matter)

Cross posted to TTC Other.

Not sure if this has been posted somewhere? Maybe time for a new thread?

@Coolstar was first w/this on Sunday:

That said, this is a logical thread to cross-post it to.

You have a Bonfire Account?

Because if you grab yourself one (they're free); the basis of a new thread is found there w/the files showing the specs for new trains!

@Coolstar was first w/this on Sunday:

That said, this is a logical thread to cross-post it to.

You have a Bonfire Account?

Because if you grab yourself one (they're free); the basis of a new thread is found there w/the files showing the specs for new trains!

With the tender closing in Dec, we may see a recommendation to award a contract about Q2 2023 depending on the cost. If awarded in 2023 or 2024, not leaving much time to convert line 2 to be ready for the trains to go into service or continue doing what take place today until the conversion is completed.

Still say these new cars should be for line 1 as a 7 car train with the TR being move to 2. Line 2 should also be 7 cars as well down the road. Would make all 7 cars the same length to reduce the squealing on the curve due to the distance between the trucks. Maybe time to go with a single wheel base truck like they do on Europe passenger trains.

Back