News   Apr 26, 2024
 647     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 231     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 714     0 

TTC Fleet Procurement Strategy - 2022

With the tender closing in Dec, we may see a recommendation to award a contract about Q2 2023 depending on the cost. If awarded in 2023 or 2024, not leaving much time to convert line 2 to be ready for the trains to go into service or continue doing what take place today until the conversion is completed.

Still say these new cars should be for line 1 as a 7 car train with the TR being move to 2. Line 2 should also be 7 cars as well down the road. Would make all 7 cars the same length to reduce the squealing on the curve due to the distance between the trucks. Maybe time to go with a single wheel base truck like they do on Europe passenger trains.
The design specifications has already been chosen and has already been posted here on this board.

They will not be going with articulated bogies because it changes the curve radius and would complicate clearance issues.

hopefully this time they will have industrial engineers and designers who have actual artistic sense to design the car bodies... the TRs look horrible vs what other comparable trains around the world have.

hopefully this time they will have industrial engineers and designers who have actual artistic sense to design the car bodies... the TRs look horrible vs what other comparable trains around the world have.

I have brought up this example before, but the C30s on the Stockholm Metro are Bombardier Movia trainsets. The Toronto Rockets are also Bombardier Movias. Bombardier's designs are now Alstom's designs. Alstom is the most likely supplier of basically any train in the GTA. (Except the Ontario Line as it turns out.)

So of course, a brand-new design will be thought up for the TTC, but I really hope it resembles something modern like this and not ANOTHER stainless-steel motif design.
1666298391969.png

I have brought up this example before, but the C30s on the Stockholm Metro are Bombardier Movia trainsets. The Toronto Rockets are also Bombardier Movias. Bombardier's designs are now Alstom's designs. Alstom is the most likely supplier of basically any train in the GTA. (Except the Ontario Line as it turns out.)

So of course, a brand-new design will be thought up for the TTC, but I really hope it resembles something modern like this and not ANOTHER stainless-steel motif design.
View attachment 433734
Saw them this year and a nice smooth riding train

Lets hope the next set doesn't have the issues like the TR had from day one in service.

They run in pair that are longer than ours
52368729218_43c0586094_b.jpg

52368732708_d3d6877fa9_b.jpg

52368919485_a6610f752d_b.jpg

52368919555_bc295bbe49_b.jpg

Last edited:
The design specifications has already been chosen

I know the specs are done; but there's 1000 pages of documents to look through.......

and has already been posted here on this board.

I know the specs are done; but there's 1000 pages of documents to look through.......

Kindly post the link to that, thank you.

@Coolstar was first w/this on Sunday:

That said, this is a logical thread to cross-post it to.

You have a Bonfire Account?

Because if you grab yourself one (they're free); the basis of a new thread is found there w/the files showing the specs for new trains!

Not sure if these images are there because I didn't log in but someone sent them to me.

1666301908333.png

1666301915789.png

Start at this link. Click on the globe in the connect column for the candidates' wide-world website.

Not sure if these images are there because I didn't log in but someone sent them to me.

View attachment 433755
View attachment 433756
Lack of “railfan” window, likely designed by non-transit users. By “provision for driverless operation”, does that mean that the driver cab could be removed completed to become “driverless”?

👎

Just on time, @Steve Munro is out with a story on the RFP and has highlights:

A couple of graphics from Steve's story, for the rest, follow the link:

1666302371329.png

1666302389177.png

Lots of other interesting bits from Steve!

yup... minimal effort in this design...they literally just changed the window and door and tweaked the front cap... absolutely no inspiration or creativity at all.... :mad:
What I am wondering is if they will match the excelleration profile of the T1's so that they can maintain schedule. The TR's are okay on line 1 due to the stations being more far apart but on line 2 the stations require quick acceleration and stopping to maintain schedule. If anyone remembers the H1 and H2 days they could get that done real quick.

Back