News   Jul 22, 2024
 698     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 495     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 532     0 

TTC eyes 24 hour subway service

Go Fare isnt anywhere near $7?

Last time I took the go from Mississauga, it was $11 for a two way trip. Thats close enough to $7 each way.

Re: ...

Not everyone in the 905 who commutes to Toronto is going downtown

That is why there should be integrated stations where the GO line cross the subway lines. In addition adding a few other lines. If your coming from Vaughan or Markham you would have the Sheppard (extended a little) line, the Eglington W. line or the bloor line, etc. If you are coming from Mississauga, you could come in via GO, then up north by GO, get off at the nearest subway line and take it from there. That is why the system should be integrated and zone based (based on entry/exit of system) with subway and regional express (GO equivalent) to move people as quickly as possible.

re

isn't the TTC already short on cash? who will pay for the extra hours? We need to know if the people using the TTC after hours will benefit the city/ ttc financially.

Re: re

Maybe running the subway would allow them to lose less money than running buses.

^
I doubt that, I am guessing that at most there are 2 buses on the Yonge line in the middle of the night (below bloor street) at any one time during the night (a total of 7 stations). So 2 bus drivers vs. 7 manned subway stations and drivers for the subway + powered lines for multi-car subway trains.

I wonder service levels would be, 10-15 minutes? How long is there a wait for night buses for Yonge?

powered lines for multi-car subway trains.
Aside from areas being worked on, the power generally stays on all night so that maintenance workers can get around.

The amount used by a few extra trains (5 or 6 sets at most with 20 minute intervals) should be pretty insignificant compared to transformer and transmission losses.

The cheapness/quickness of GO vs local transit arguments are never quite defined. GO is only great if your trip begins and ends at or very near a GO station & Union...sometimes a 45 minute subway ride is both faster and cheaper.
Last time I took the go from Mississauga, it was $11 for a two way trip. Thats close enough to $7 each way.

Exactly! The first case is true for me and I always get the feeling that those who immediately point to GO have never had to actually commute from Mississauga.

"Last time I took the go from Mississauga, it was $11 for a two way trip. Thats close enough to $7 each way."

The discussion was about subway service to MCC (since no one's talking about extending the subway to Meadowvale). One-way GO fare from MCC, Cooksville, or Port Credit to Toronto is $4.40. Even from Clarkson it's only $5.10.

So yeah, GO fare from Mississauga is nowhere near $7.

If we're discussing the possibility of spending BILLIONS of dollars on a hypothetical subway extension, can't we at least assume that it would be possible to spend a few hundred thousand on figuring out an integrated fare structure first?

That is why there should be integrated stations where the GO line cross the subway lines. In addition adding a few other lines. If your coming from Vaughan or Markham you would have the Sheppard (extended a little) line, the Eglington W. line or the bloor line, etc. If you are coming from Mississauga, you could come in via GO, then up north by GO, get off at the nearest subway line and take it from there. That is why the system should be integrated and zone based (based on entry/exit of system) with subway and regional express (GO equivalent) to move people as quickly as possible.

I just think it is better to have the 905 transit connect to the TTC directly instead of forcing 905 transit service GO stations that are incoveniently located and hard to service by bus.

The discussion was about subway service to MCC (since no one's talking about extending the subway to Meadowvale). One-way GO fare from MCC, Cooksville, or Port Credit to Toronto is $4.40. Even from Clarkson it's only $5.10.

So yeah, GO fare from Mississauga is nowhere near $7.

if you count Mississauga Transit fare, and TTC fare also, it is $7 easily.

It's perfectly reasonable to assume that in any discussion of taking GO from Mississauga to downtown Toronto, an MT fare and/or a TTC fare would automatically be bookended onto the GO fare. On a practical level, "subway to Mississauga" is equivalent to "streetcar/subway/walk to the Bloor line + subway to Square One + bus to Meadowvale." But, you're right, these hypothetical discussions can become quite silly without some sense of what a fare integration structure might look like. Sometimes I take four different subway lines and two bus routes to get home...but I can do this all on one fare, which, in some respects, is silly.

I live in Streetsville.... its $11.90 for a 2-way trip downtown via GO. Like I said, Its close to $7

Back