News   Jul 22, 2024
 698     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 495     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 532     0 

TTC eyes 24 hour subway service

If they even just kept it open until 3 it would be good, and that only needs to be on weekends. That way people could go downtown, drink and make it home, now people have to leave early.

I've never seen anyone throw up on the vomit comet. It can actually be a lot of fun - entertaining old drunks, etc.

It's usually a pretty fast ride too.

As for 24 hour service, great idea.

The TTC knows its business better then us amateur obervers I guess but I can't really see the necessity for 24 hour service based on demand.

What would this cost the TTC? They'd have to pay the whole night-shift manning the stations, trains, etc. I thought they were in financial trouble.

I can see the benefit of an extra hour or two on Friday and Saturday nights, but this seems a little risky.

Perhaps the TTC should run a weekend pilot of 24 hour service. Considering the number of people out enjoying the city at nights on weekends the lack of transit service beyond 1:30 is a problem.

About time

This should've been in place long ago...now add an Eglington line to the airport, finish Sheppard to STC (connecting of course to the Danforth line), loop the Downsview-York-Vaughan line east to connect with the Yonge line (which'll be extended further north), expand the Bloor line west into Mississauga to loop northward where it'll meet up with the Eglington line, Add 2 DRL's along Queen East & West, both verring north and we can begin to have a real serious transit system that will begin to actually have a chance competing against the almight car...

...and of course, link all these projects to land us conditions (i.e. the right density and design)...

I like the idea of 24 hour service but not sure we could realistically shut down a subway line down for an entire weekend for maintenance.

Downsview-York-Vaughan line east to connect with the Yonge line (which'll be extended further north), expand the Bloor line west into Mississauga to loop northward where it'll meet up with the Eglington line, Add 2 DRL's along Queen East & West, both verring north and we can begin to have a real serious transit system that will begin to actually have a chance competing against the almight car...

You lost me on this part .... Vaughan having one subway line into it -- letalone two is a waste. Extending the subway into Mississauga is also a waste..... for most that "would" take the subway into Toronto, the trip downtown would be too long to compete with the car. It is the GO equivalent that needs more frequent service -- that is more worthwhile for those on the outer fringes.

Have the "go" stations integrated in intersections with the subway line, have Mississauga and Vaughan transit centred around quick transit to the go line, and you will speed up transit to/from Toronto.

It is the GO equivalent that needs more frequent service -- that is more worthwhile for those on the outer fringes.

Absolutely right. Smaller trains with more frequent service.

Fare integration between GO and TTC is also important. Even a zone fare system on the TTC will equalize the price system somewhat. In Europe, express services have the same fare as local services within the same area. That seems like a much better way of giving a break to longer-distance riders than having a flat fare for local services across the whole city.

"Extending the subway into Mississauga is also a waste..... for most that "would" take the subway into Toronto, the trip downtown would be too long to compete with the car"

I guess you havnt tried driving on the QEW or 401 from Mississauga to downtown T.O. during rush hour.

I would actually give up my car and take the subway if it were built and I had easy access to the station closest to me. I would rather pay $2.75 than $7 to get downtown, even if it meant arriving downtown a few minutes later.

By the way... 24 hour service would be awsome. Im living at Dufferin/Eglinton now and spend a lot of my time out in T.O, but always have to cut the fun short around 1:30 to catch the last train back home.

Re: ...

"I would rather pay $2.75 than $7 to get downtown, even if it meant arriving downtown a few minutes later."

But you're crossing the Mississauga border which means an extra fare anyway. And GO fare isn't anywhere near $7. So would you rather pay $5.25 rather than $5.00, even if it means getting downtown in 40 minutes rather than 20?

Re: ...

You lost me on this part .... Vaughan having one subway line into it -- letalone two is a waste. Extending the subway into Mississauga is also a waste..... for most that "would" take the subway into Toronto, the trip downtown would be too long to compete with the car. It is the GO equivalent that needs more frequent service -- that is more worthwhile for those on the outer fringes.

Not everyone in the 905 who commutes to Toronto is going downtown.

Have the "go" stations integrated in intersections with the subway line, have Mississauga and Vaughan transit centred around quick transit to the go line, and you will speed up transit to/from Toronto.

Transit in Burlington and Oakville and in Durham Region is centred around GO stations as well, and it is not any better because of it. In fact, transit in these places is a lot worse than even Vaughan, let alone Mississauga.

Hmm...I've never thought of that before - if someone got on the subway at Yorkdale and got off at Sinkhole, would they have to pay a YRT fare? Maybe an exit fare? What about people getting on at Sinkhole station? How would a subway to Mississauga deal with the dual fares?

The cheapness/quickness of GO vs local transit arguments are never quite defined. GO is only great if your trip begins and ends at or very near a GO station & Union...sometimes a 45 minute subway ride is both faster and cheaper.

If the stars align properly, there might be enough demand for travel between points along the Bloor line all the way out to Square One to justify an extension, not just demand for a direct route from Mississauga to downtown. Yet the Milton GO line could be rejigged to serve the area along virtually the same route as a Kipling extension (fewer stops but faster trains). This subway extension is a perfect example of one that we should let GO have a crack at first since they can probably provide an equivalent service for much cheaper.

Back