News   Apr 24, 2024
 373     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 561     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 491     0 

TTC: Easier Access Phase III

I'm interested to see their plans for Islington and Warden, which basically need a complete rebuild to accommodate elevators and access to the bus bays, which is why they're very last on the list. Of which Islington bus bays are literally falling apart.

I'm interested to see their plans for Islington and Warden, which basically need a complete rebuild to accommodate elevators and access to the bus bays, which is why they're very last on the list. Of which Islington bus bays are literally falling apart.

Vic Park was the same way when they redid the bays as was Eglinton. The designs at these stations were never designed to last as long as they have.

I am fully convinced Islington won't be replaced until it collapses into itself.

As for Warden Station, the station itself is not in bad shape other than accessibility issues. They would not need a full rebuild, just to tear down the bus bays and rebuild them. They would have to close the entire station however as the exits (both to Warden Ave and the Kiss and Ride) run alongside and above the bus bays.

Vic Park was the same way when they redid the bays as was Eglinton. The designs at these stations were never designed to last as long as they have.

I am fully convinced Islington won't be replaced until it collapses into itself.

As for Warden Station, the station itself is not in bad shape other than accessibility issues. They would not need a full rebuild, just to tear down the bus bays and rebuild them. They would have to close the entire station however as the exits (both to Warden Ave and the Kiss and Ride) run alongside and above the bus bays.

The station will not close; a new exit will be put in place first, quite possibly two.

The redesign will (unless someone surprises me) see the new facility no longer touch the corner of St. Clair/Warden, as the City was looking at that as a development parcel.

I know 2 design options were being looked at, at one point, which were either a linear series of bus bays along the main station building; or an island platform with escalators coming down to it; which options is currently in favour, I'm not sure.

The station will not close; a new exit will be put in place first, quite possibly two.

The redesign will (unless someone surprises me) see the new facility no longer touch the corner of St. Clair/Warden, as the City was looking at that as a development parcel.

I know 2 design options were being looked at, at one point, which were either a linear series of bus bays along the main station building; or an island platform with escalators coming down to it; which options is currently in favour, I'm not sure.

The island platform strikes me as a Lawrence Station thing that never quite worked out well. I was never a fan of it. As for keeping the bus platforms down below that is a recipe for disaster without proper ventilation. CO2 likes to stay close to the ground in confined spaces... leaving buses idling underground is never fun.

I can see them doing what they did with Vic Park. It is so much easier.

As for the station not touching Warden and St Clair that is almost impossible given the hydro field and housing behind the station and the park on the opposite side of the street (both north and west of the station). They only place they can put it, is right where it is currently unless they want to buy a lumber yard and put it at the Birchmount Emeregency Exit.

Any update on dupont?

Most recent from the TTC (this spring) is:

Construction Update - Spring 2020 COVID-19 and project update

As accessibility and safety projects are essential, the Dupont Station Easier Access project will proceed. Construction/fencing will continue at street-level to build the elevator and its canopy. Other related activities are taking place underground inside the station. The Dupont Station elevators are scheduled to open in mid-2020 (date TBD). There will be other minor works that will continue after that date at the station.

Asides from the King Street Pilot project, this is probably the most innovative thing the TTC has done in the last decade. Im actually very surprised with to hear this news.

They did this a decade or so ago with Pape. They closed the station for weeks to do renovations with the station being bypassed to complete the work.

Back