News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 985     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

TTC capital budget amendments (BD to East Mall study??)

"Malls thrive on people traffic."

Look, I'm not saying that Sherway wouldn't benefit from a subway connection, I'm saying it doesn't matter how many condos and subway connections a suburban mall has, it'll still rely on its parking lots and so there's no way that Sherway will sit idly by while half or more of its parking lot is almost continuously filled by people that aren't shopping. Either TTC lots will be built across the street or parking structures will be built, partially so that those parking can be charged for the privilege, partially because some of the surface parking lots will be redeveloped, and partially because new subway traffic may not offset the loss of all those parking spaces.

^^ That looks more like Burnhamthorpe to me, which happens to be your subway preference over Dundas apparently.

I'd tell you to stick to Scarborough, but you don't seem to know anything about it either.

A quick look at Google maps shows that that image is clearly NOT Dundas. Based upon the caption from the page Mr. Woe got it from, my guess would be Dixie.

It's not Dundas.

edit - cdl's right...I'm 99% sure it's a shot taken from the apartment at the SW corner of Dixie and Golden Orchard :)

That looks more like Burnhamthorpe to me,

It is Dundas, west of Dixie Road. I kid you not. If a flippin' GO station there for decades now couldn't revitalize the area what the hell do you expect the TTC to do? Got 750 million dollars? That's half the cost it'd take to extend the line just to Dixie GO, much less MCC, and you expect the City of Toronto to finance that when all it takes is some lazy-asses mins to walk across a municipal boundary line and their accessibilty's secure. Yes MCC via Dundas is the say all end all for Peel when two lines along Hurontartio and Eglinton would serve the vast, VAST majority of Mississauga not 100 duplexes and bungalows :rolleyes !

which happens to be your subway preference over Dundas apparently.

My preferrable plan has just been stated :D . It was the TTC and city officials who proposed Burnhamthrope way back in the 80s. Any hopes for a BHT line ended when expansion followed the rail corridor south.

I'd tell you to stick to Scarborough, but you don't seem to know anything about it either.

Anywhere, anytime...I know every inch of this city and know where's best to invest in mass transit, considering present-day and future demands for lines. Yes I obviously don't have a frikken clue about Scarborough, that's why I'm advocating lines beyond the STC, the eledged cradle of life you people purport it to be but couldn't be further from the reality faced by hundreds of 000s of residents every single day. Scarborough comprises one-third the land area of Metro Toronto and is the fastest growing population, yet has the poorest transit service. But hey what does it matter to you, you're too busy running lines where no one even lives yet and through low density/industrial sprawl. That's the future right? **** all the people suffering with inadequate bus/streetcar service now, right?

Somehow that picture STILL doesn't look like Dundas to me. I don't recall any bungalows on Dundas. On Burnhamthorpe yes, but Dundas??? WTF? There's strip malls all along Dundas. All the way from Hurontario to Kipling as far as I can remember.

That pic IS not Dundas - the street is lined with plazas west of Dixie, and it's significantly wider than 2 lanes each way.

AoD

^ It's close enough to Dundas anyway demonstrating the type of density around the corridor and what levels of ridership we should expect. The only thing of worth along Dundas is the Chinese Cultural Centre and Sheridan College (NE Scarborough also has a CCC and community college, but if memory serves me right, I was ridiculed to death by the mere suggestion of serving them directly plus other nodes in excess).

Oh and chain malls constitute multibillion dollar subway lines now but the airport and downtown core doesn't :lol ?

Sheridan College on Dundas is tiny - smaller than say Centennial's Ashtonbee Campus, and is in no way a trip generator. (Which makes me wonder about your knowledge of trip generators in general, nevermind the zoo) Sheridan's main campus is on Trafalgar in Oakville, the only other of any real importance is the one in Brampton, with a few thousand students. Sheridan is also consolidating, expanding Oakville and Brampton and closing its other mini-locations.

The density along Dundas is at Dixie, and at Hurontario. Still, I think it is a prime redevelopment corridor, kinda of what Brampton's trying to do along Queen, which like Dundas, is a long strip of dying car dealers, furniture stores and light industrial near low, mid and high density residential.

Sherway will sit idly by while half or more of its parking lot is almost continuously filled by people that aren't shopping.

Even though this a moo point (since I agreed with your second point), if development was a long while away, we disagree on whether they would say yes to it. The only way they can stop this, based upon your suggestion that they would not like it, would be to have the station located not in the mall (which one would figure they would want it), but adjacent to the mall (not on mall property).

^Maybe I should have emphasised 'only thing of worth' :rolleyes . Furthermore Sheridan's at Dundas/Hurontario, an area you just exhalted as having density. Even if a subway were built to MCC the eastbound routes would still to terminate somewhere in Etobicoke. Yes, Sherway is a km south of Bloor but 4kms closer to Peel than Islington. Realistically in private ROW lanes anywhere south of Burnhamthrope is less than 5 mins away from the subway (even better if a Hwy 427/27 extension is built) and has the bonus of terminating in a dense node (megamall, hospital, condos, hwy access) something nowhere in the Six Points area or even Dixie GO can accomplish.

This is all besides the point though as you neglected the bigger issue at hand, a subway line to Pearson in immediacy. No Blue 22. No Eg West Stub. I'm talking about a real solution to Etobicoke and Pearson transit woes (get it, like my name ;) ) and to mention MTs. If underground ROW to Dixie would cost 1.5 billion I suspect surface ROW in the median of 427 would cost significantly less. The Rathburn-Renforth tunnel between West Mall and Matheson could be done via cut and cover. Most of the expense would lie in constructing the stations themselves which would total 10: Shorncliffe, East Mall, West Mall, Cloverdale, Bloor West, Burnhamthrope, Rathburn, (Centennial Park?), Eringate, Renforth and Pearson. At Pearson you'd further witness the futility of BD to MCC as the MT Busway would commence striaght to Square One within 10 mins :D .

"Even though this a moo point (since I agreed with your second point), if development was a long while away, we disagree on whether they would say yes to it. The only way they can stop this, based upon your suggestion that they would not like it, would be to have the station located not in the mall (which one would figure they would want it), but adjacent to the mall (not on mall property)."

Ugh, what we're disagreeing on is what will happen to the parking lots...parking structures or separate TTC lots will be built - the TTC will not rely on Sherway's supposed "huge underused" lot. The station wouldn't be in the mall, anyway.

^ It's close enough to Dundas anyway demonstrating the type of density around the corridor and what levels of ridership we should expect.

Instead of judging potential ridership of Dundas based on a photo of Dixie, perhaps you ought to use (gasp) actual ridership counts instead.

Instead of judging potential ridership of Dundas based on a photo of Dixie, perhaps you ought to use (gasp) actual ridership counts instead.

Quoted for truth. 1 Dundas is probably one of the busiest and most frequent bus routes in Mississauga. And if there was a subway along Dundas, you can guarantee it'd result in a LOT of ppl taking a Dundas subway over the 26 Burnhamthorpe or 3 Bloor.

Ugh, what we're disagreeing on is what will happen to the parking lots...parking structures or separate TTC lots will be built - the TTC will not rely on Sherway's supposed "huge underused" lot. The station wouldn't be in the mall, anyway.

What are you all babbling about? There's ample room for a parking lot west of West Mall on Queensway. The only way this'd affect Sherway if people still want free parking whereby the mall can restrict the time a car's parked before ticketing, it's that simple.

As for location I feel it'd be best to have a situation like Toronto Eaton Centre, one exit exclusively for the mall and the other to connect directly with street level transit.

I dunno, the photo looks pretty convincing to me :b .

Back