News   May 03, 2024
 308     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 269     0 

TTC and Universities

The Toronto Sun: Bringing you news two months late since 1971

As far as I can tell, very little has changed since this thread went dormant.

I guess thats what I get for checking out the sunshine girl and actually thinking the Sun had a newsworthy story.

The TTC gets 85% of its operating funds from fares. Compare with Montreal at 47%, Vancouver at 34%, New York City at 54%, Los Angeles at 30%, or Cleveland at 18%. If the TTC got the same subsidy as the other cities, the Metropass for everyone would be lower, and in turn it would be lower for the student.
In addition, the Metropass is transferable. Which means that the family members could use it, when the student is not. Or, it can be "sold" at a fair price or a profit, to friends or neighbours.
If the student is not going to use it, sell it to those who would.

- I'm pretty sure the 85% figure is outdated and no longer accurate.
- The University student Metropass is not going to be transferable.

That is correct. It is not transferable. However, that is the only thing it won't be. You will have all other privileges.

I think people might feel tempted to use it knowing that they're paying for it and will feel pissed off, but once they realize how easy it is to use they'll be ok with it. I feel like this is one of those things that we should force upon students. Not a very libertarian view, I know, but if we want to save this planet against the curse of the car, this would help a bit.

I think people might feel tempted to use it knowing that they're paying for it and will feel pissed off, but once they realize how easy it is to use they'll be ok with it. I feel like this is one of those things that we should force upon students. Not a very libertarian view, I know, but if we want to save this planet against the curse of the car, this would help a bit.

What about students who use GO 100% for their travel trip?

What about students who live outside 416 and only go to classes 3 days a week?

As for York University, what happens to the students who use VIVA 100% getting to classes?

TTC is making a profit off the students who school use the U-Pass.

What about students who use GO 100% for their travel trip?

What about students who live outside 416 and only go to classes 3 days a week?

As for York University, what happens to the students who use VIVA 100% getting to classes?

TTC is making a profit off the students who school use the U-Pass.

Glad you bring that up... The U-Pass will give students the option of a $60 GO Transit credit/month or a monthly YRT pass.

Problem solved.

UoT student newspaper:
"Paul save a buck by stealing one from Peter."
Well, in this case I'd be Peter and they'd be Paul. I'd like to stop subsidizing this group of students' education, please.

the reason i was asking is because i take both the yrt and ttc and i know a couple of friends who take the GO and ttc as well. i didn't think they would make a discount on both.

Two comments:

Firstly, the TTC's current cost recovery ratio is in the high 60s to the low 70s. It has dropped dramatically since the province started marginally funding the TTC again. Why do we brag about such a high ratio anyway? Look at the massive service cuts that resulted about 5-8 years ago when the ratio was about 80%. Today, at a much lower rate, we're getting new buses, service improvements, and system expansion.

Secondly, this outdated article proves nothing other than the fact that the TTC is proposing what is by far the most expensive U-Pass in the province, if not country. Way to go TTC!

Here's my plan. I call it the T-Pass. Every Toronto citizen will have $450 added to their tax bill annually and will receive a non-transferable year-long Metropass. If they wish, they can exchange it for a Mississauga or York annual pass, or a $480 credit on GO transit. Having an option will not be an option.

I'll admit, some people drive, some cycle, and some can walk everywhere that they need to go and will be disadvantaged by this system. Sure, it could be better... it could be free! But this is the best deal that Torontonians could hope to see. If we want to foster a culture of transit use we need to make it easy to use and make them people like they've been forced into it.

Back