News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 569     0 

TTC and Universities

Putting $480 on property tax would only provide one pass per property tax household. In my house that would be fine, but it would likely mean I couldn't claim the federal transit tax credit. Also, how would it work for renters who pay property tax indirectly? I could see organisations like OCAP getting geared up since it would essentially be a flat tax.

In terms of one per household: again, if transferable, there would certainly develop a secondary market for the, uh, "T-passes", and you could acquire more that way. The TTC could continue to make regular metropasses available in the same way it does now (at a $110-area price), which would help stabilize secondary pricing for the T-passes. As an alternative there could be the option of purchasing additional T-passes at the $480 price, but I am not certain that that would be a better idea than just letting a secondary market take care of it.

In terms of rentals: if it were transferable, not so much a problem as far as I can see -- it would be the landlord eating the extra cost. The landlord would have the choice to sell it on to the tenants or through the secondary market. Perhaps a rental regulation would need to be passed whereby the tenants have a right of first refusal at zero markup (price paid) -- so that, where secondary market pricing is higher than primary pricing, tenants would not be disadvantaged and could obtain a T-pass on the same terms and conditions as a landowner.

Why does the TTC have to see students as a source of revenue? Just write them off as a revenue source, and let them use their student card as a transit pass for an annual fee of $100. If the rest of fares had to increase by 25 cents per ride in order to achieve that, it would go down as the first fare increase that I actually support - and I'm not a student anymore and would in no way benefit.

Furthermore, university students are much more deserving of a student pass than high school students. University students often don't live at home, actually have to pay tuition to go to school, often don't work in order to focus on their studies, and often have no financial support from their parents. At minimum, the TTC's basic student fares should be extended to all university students.

Ultimately, someone has to make up the lost revenue, and with this year being the first year that the budget has come down without pulling teeth, I don't think the city is there yet.

You're very noble, but I don't think you could convince the general public that they should pay more so that students can get a break.

We have seen from this that people are unwilling to inconvenience themselves to give their fellow students a break, and we've also seen that students are unwilling to see their friends inconvenienced in order get an advantage.

One suggestion that was raised which I think is worth looking at is the province buy each student a transit pass. It would make transit more accessible, reduce car use in some cases, and it would show the public that the province is spending money on Transit and Higher Education.

Back