News   May 17, 2024
 3.1K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

It's not mis-matched cladding. It's just the inherent variation in colour that you get in all materials

See... In retail, when we receive something that isn't of the same quality as the rest of the shipment it gets sent back as defective and a new one is sent back. The same is done in construction. When one kitchen cupboard is a shade lighter than the others, or if the grain is too close together on one, it is sent back for a new one of the same quality. Claim it as a defect, and get replacements.

Sure there is always the chance of a variation, but this is the exterior of a cultural landmark we are dealing with, not someones backyard shed... which btw im sure would probably have any variation corrected. Its not hard to fix... just produce more blue titanium. Judging by the pictures, most of the panels came out the same. It wouldn't take a rocket scientist to produce some more to fix the mis-matched ones.

You'd be surprised how hard it is to match colours on something like that, especially now that the wall is up and exposed to the elements. Really, the amazing thing is that the material is as consistent as it is.

img5332bz2.jpg

Spectacular.

Claim it as a defect, and get replacements.

But it's not a defect. Defective products are sent back of course. There is an tollerance in construction that is specified clearly when a product is ordered. It is impossible to get a consistant colour over the life cycle of a product's manufacture. That is why no two bricks are ever the same shade. Over an entire wall the randomness evens out. Here the panels are larger, so it's more obvious. Look closely at any other of Gehry's buildings with the similar surface treatment and you'll see the same thing, so it was obviously the expected outcome here as well.

I think this is where we'll see the "bent glass" that was talked about earlier. I can't see how they can fit faceted glass into those highly irregular shapes.

Isn't there some sort of plastic they could've used for the whole darned thing? You'd think, in this day and age after thousands of years of civilisation, someone would've been able to come up with something more versatile than glass.

I'm pretty sure the glass on the wings is straight glass, but it'll probably be triangular pieces to allow for a bit more play (you can see the same thing on the East side of the Galleria, down low). The only bent glass I know of in the whole project is in the stairs.

US:

Possibly polycarbonate - which I think the Umbra store and HQ by Kohn Shnier used. Not sure if it is any cheaper than glass, or available in custom curvature.

AoD

Official Openning announced

From the Member's Newsletter I received today:

"Dear AGO Member:

I have some great news for you! The transformed Art Gallery of Ontario will open to the public on November 14, 2008. As a loyal member of the AGO, you will be invited to preview your new AGO before the general public. "

I can't wait!:)

Back