News   Jul 22, 2024
 117     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 956     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 4.1K     7 

Transit fares likely to rise

Take a family of four for example, $100/metropass x 4 = $400 x 12 = $4800/year. Do you honestly think those people, given their busy schedules, are going to sacrifice their time just so they can save 2 bucks a day and brag about how they ride transit?

Whoa, pardner. You're assuming that family of four are all adults, so would be paying the $100 Metropass, and would pay $1100 a year if using the Metropass Discount Plan. Then, even if two were adults, and both working, it would be a combo of:

2 car family, no transit use
1 car family, likely one would use transit (at $1100-1200 a year)
0 car family, assume 2 Metropasses at 91-100/year, children are less.

I doubt gas, depreciation, insurance, repairs even for one car would be less than your dubious $4800/year figure. But then again, you have made little sense on either of these transit threads this week.

I'm not denying the TTC needs more funding for expansion, all I said is that if transit is too expensive people won't want to take it.

I doubt gas, depreciation, insurance, repairs even for one car would be less than your dubious $4800/year figure. But then again, you have made little sense on either of these transit threads this week.
Did I say it would be less? I said you'd prolly save 2 bucks a day and lose a hell a lot of time. Now tell me genius, do you honestly think a family is gonna spend that much money? Your answer will probably be yes but then again you've demonstrated that you have no perception of the real world in any of your posts today.

Dude, I have no idea what you're trying to say. The fact of the matter is that most people won't want to pay $3 a ride for the service that the TTC gives. Go ahead show me all the subsidy statistics you want but at the end of the day it's whether the person paying the fare boards the streetcar/bus/train that makes the difference. People don't care how much funding the TTC gets, they care about the service they get for their money spent.

The service you get for the price you pay is far better than that of a car.

Dude, you're not serious are you?

Yes I am...are you?

I can travel to and from U of T for $4.20/day...that's what, $21/week? I'd pay that in gas, plus insurance, plus maintainance, plus monthly payments if I had a care...it doesn't compare.

If I get a Metropass, I can travel as much as I want in the city for just under $100. How much would it cost for unlimited travel in the city with a car? A lot more than $100. Yes, a car may be more private and you can hop in whenever you want, but you said the cost has to match the service provided. $4.20/day certainly is good value for the service provided, especially when you compare it to a car, and that's factoring in the benefits of having your own car.

subway lines take forever to build, bus service is horrible, fares are increasing. I can't see myself taking transit to work if it's outside downtown.

this is why we need more funding for expansion. this sentiment is shared by many.

Ok there buddy, let's just say under some bizarre circumstances you, yourself, can say that, but can you honestly say average people (exclude those on this forum) say that the TTC offers better services for the price you pay than a car? If your answer is yes then this doesn't even deserve an argument and you my friend are totally disconnected from reality.

Do you have any idea how much a car costs??

Take a family of four for example, $100/metropass x 4 = $400 x 12 = $4800/year. Do you honestly think those people, given their busy schedules, are going to sacrifice their time just so they can save 2 bucks a day and brag about how they ride transit?

Are you seriously trying to tell me a family of four, using only the car, is going to spend only $7700 on it (and that's assuming they have one car) for the entire year?! And you accuse me of being disconnected from reality!

Besides, even if they did only spend that much...$2920 is a lot of money for a lot of families.

Which brings us back to the original point...the TTC is still a lot more affordable than relying on your car..making people realize this is a marketing issue more than anything.

Which brings us back to the original point...the TTC is still a lot more affordable than relying on your car..making people realize this is a marketing issue more than anything.
Which brings me back to my original point: a car is a luxury and almost everybody who can afford it has it.

The fact of the matter is that most people won't want to pay $3 a ride for the service that the TTC gives.

I wonder who all those people are who I see on the bus every day.

Maybe TTC service isn't great where you are but I have no desire to get a car nor do I feel disadvantaged in any way. Thanks to the TTC and its service (which is superior to most other systems I've used around NA), I've been able to save a bundle.

Which brings me back to my original point: a car is a luxury and almost everybody who can afford it has it.

Yes, we're all aware a car is a luxury!

Congrats, Mislav. You're UT's new miketoronto.
LOL, I demand that buses come to my house every 9-10 minutes. Oh wait I already got a subway station. :lol

I wonder who all those people are who I see on the bus every day.
That's weak - no matter how bad a transit system is it will always have some ridership. And you can't deny that a fare increase will cost some ridership loss if services aren't improved.

Maybe TTC service isn't great where you are but I have no desire to get a car nor do I feel disadvantaged in any way. Thanks to the TTC and its service (which is superior to most other systems I've used around NA), I've been able to save a bundle.
On the contrary the TTC service is OK where I'm living but I'm talking about most people in Toronto, who aren't fortunate enough to live walking distance to a subway station. And the fact that the TTC is better than an average North American transit system doesn't say much. In addition to that, most people, even those living in downtown, chose to have a car if they can afford one. They may not drive as often but they still have it.

Btw, I can totally see you guys trying to pick up chicks with your Metropass. :lol

"LOL, I demand that buses come to my house every 9-10 minutes. Oh wait I already got a subway station. "

Well, miketoronto does live at the intersection of 4 regular service bus routes, 3 of which overlap...a subway station there would be very well used.

Back