News   Jul 02, 2024
 2.1K     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 700     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

I made a gif of Toronto's subway expansion:

1954.jpg

edit: embedding it doesn't seem to work, heres a direct link:

http://gifmaker.me/PlayFrameAnimation.php?folder=20131120161tlcyPJPQzHl9oD2nK9guE

I can see the picture insert. I agree.

Wow insert, you beat me to it. I was going to make something similar this weekend lol :D

It would be really great if you could also include a timeline, so we can get an idea of how much time passes between each extension.

1953 - None
1954 - Yonge Subway (Union-Eglinton)
1963 - University Subway (Union - St. George)
1966 - Bloor-Danforth Subway (Keele - Woodbine)
1968 - Bloor West (Keele - Islington), Danforth East (Woodbine - Warden)
1973 - Yonge North Subway (Eglinton - York Mills)
1974 - Yonge North Subway (York Mills - Finch)
1978 - Spadina Subway (St. George - Wilson)
1980 - Bloor West Extension (Islington - Kipling), Danforth East Extension (Warden - Kennedy)
1985 - Scarborough RT (Kennedy - McCowen)
1996 - Spadina Subway Extension (Wilson - Downsview)
2002 - Sheppard Subway (Sheppard Yonge - Don Mills)
2016 - Spadina York Subway Extension (Downsview/Sheppard West - Vaughan Metropolitan Centre)
2020 - Eglinton Crosstown LRT (Mt. Dennis - Kennedy)
2021 - Finch LRT (Humber College - Finch West), Sheppard LRT (Don Mills - Morningside)
2023 - Scarborough Subway (Kennedy - Sheppard East)

1953 - None
1954 - Yonge Subway (Union-Eglinton)
1963 - University Subway (Union - St. George)
1966 - Bloor-Danforth Subway (Keele - Woodbine)
1968 - Bloor West (Keele - Islington), Danforth East (Woodbine - Warden)
1973 - Yonge North Subway (Eglinton - York Mills)
1974 - Yonge North Subway (York Mills - Finch)
1978 - Spadina Subway (St. George - Wilson)
1980 - Bloor West Extension (Islington - Kipling), Danforth East Extension (Warden - Kennedy)
1985 - Scarborough RT (Kennedy - McCowen)
1996 - Spadina Subway Extension (Wilson - Downsview)
2002 - Sheppard Subway (Sheppard Yonge - Don Mills)
2016 - Spadina York Subway Extension (Downsview/Sheppard West - Vaughan Metropolitan Centre)
2020 - Eglinton Crosstown LRT (Mt. Dennis - Kennedy)
2021 - Finch LRT (Humber College - Finch West), Sheppard LRT (Don Mills - Morningside)
2023 - Scarborough Subway (Kennedy - Sheppard East)
You should do the DRL and the Yonge North extension as well.

2025 was my understanding provided the transit taxes get passed this spring.

I didn't do those projects as they don't yet have funding.

Decided to make a Mississauga-specific transit map. I didn't show it on the map, but there is the possibility for a very long-term extension of the Bloor-Danforth subway to Cooksville.

Mississauga%20Transit%20v1.jpg

I don't think it would be a smart idea to have the Eglinton LRT run to MCC, it would screw with GO buses too much. otherwise an interesting map.

Decided to make a Mississauga-specific transit map. I didn't show it on the map, but there is the possibility for a very long-term extension of the Bloor-Danforth subway to Cooksville.

I agree with insertnamehere.

The Mississauga Transitway should remain a busway indefinitely and conversion to the LRT, let alone a westward expansion of the Eglinton-Crosstown, should not be contemplated.

Busways aren't lower order than LRT, they just serve a different purpose. The purpose of the Mississauga Transitway is to funnel regional express bus services connecting the northern GTA with southern Peel and Halton regions into a designated, traffic-separated corridor through Mississauga. I think that's a pretty important connection, and my belief is that future generations of transit planners will look at the Mississauga Transitway as the project that delivered the biggest bang for the buck of any project undertaken during this round of transit expansion.

The other thing I would say is that if you're going to run the B-D to the East Mall, you might as well spend another $500 million and extend it to the West Mall and Queensway. Not only would you connect to the Queensway LRT, but you would also connect directly to Sherway Gardens and the Trillium Health Centre, both of which are large trip generators. You could probably build the whole thing at grade, with just an elevated portion swinging from the CP corridor south to the Queensway/West Mall intersection.

I think the Eglinton will should (eventually) go to SQ1, but I would put the GO REX as a higher priority.

The first priority is to build the Eglinton line grade-separated from Scarborough to Pearson. Then in maybe +/-30 years, it could be extended to SQ1.

Last edited:
I had considered having the Transitway and the LRT along the same corridor, but I figured for simplicity sake to have only the LRT along that corridor. The regional aspect of the Transitway is a good point though. Given that the LRT would be running every 5-10 minutes along that stretch (half the frequency of the main LRT), it would be feasible to run both services along the same corridor. Ottawa was planning to do this with the original N-S LRT plan, sharing dedicated transit lanes through downtown.

And yes, I do think that Eglinton to Sq 1 is pretty low on the priority list, and that GO REX should definitely be near the top in terms of priorities (Transitway, Hurontario LRT, GO REX).

Thanks for all the feedback on v0.9. I digested it, and so here is the v1.0 of my map:

TTC 2054 (v1) by BB ON, on Flickr

Changes:
-Improved orienteering by adding lake and regional boundaries
-Added GO, UP
-Added info boxes
-Extended Eglinton to SELRT
-Diverted the Milton line to Wynford via midtown.

Despite protests I'm keeping streetcars in, because I want to illustrate the highest bandwidth routes.

Thanks for all the feedback on v0.9. I digested it, and so here is the v1.0 of my map:

Changes:
-Added GO, UP
-Added info boxes

Despite protests I'm keeping streetcars in, because I want to illustrate the highest bandwidth routes.

I think that this is the best map I have seen so far. Maybe do one with sheppard extended as a subway to STC and Weston Rd so we see what that would look like, and extend the western part of the DRL to Keele-Eglinton or Jane-Eglinton, otherwise this is just about right.

Changes:
-Added GO, UP
-Added info boxes

I love this map! However, some of the names on some of the stations, I think, should be altered. Example - Your York Mills station on your DRL line would probably be called York Mills East and Queen on the DRL would be Queen East. Also, the Bloor-Danforth extension into Scarborough will more than likely follow the McCowan route.

I love this map! However, some of the names on some of the stations, I think, should be altered. Example - Your York Mills station on your DRL line would probably be called York Mills East and Queen on the DRL would be Queen East. Also, the Bloor-Danforth extension into Scarborough will more than likely follow the McCowan route.

McCowan will be more expensive then the SRT route.

Back