News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 740     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Surprised that they are making maps for RL 2 already. One would think that signing off RL 1 should be their first priority :)

Anyway, the route for "Trillium Line" mostly makes sense, except in the west where running a subway up both Dufferin and Roncesvalles looks like an overkill. If one line goes north to connect to Bloor, then the other should continue west into Etobicoke.

Regarding the idea of combining the two lines through downtown, and branching at the edges: that can only work if they quad-track the common section. If they want to run a train every 90 s on the Ontario Line alone to achieve the desired capacity, then no chance to squeeze the Trillium Line trains into the same pair of tracks.
I just particularly don't like extending one of the lines toward Humber Bay and west considering that Waterfront LRT will be going the exact same route. I much prefer if Lake Shore and Queensway become at-grade ROW and be part of the existing streetcar infrastructure rather than underground transit.

And my idea is that the line goes up Roncesvalles and continues north along Dundas and turn at Jane and become a rapid transit corridor for Jane.

sneakpeek.png

A little sneak peek of something I'm working on. I'm putting it here because I feel like I'm missing something in this area.

Which route would be most appropriate to become a transit corridor in some capacity? Red (Finch), Green (Victoria Park), and Blue (Warden) can all continue west/east/south as necessary. I'm inclined to make Red or Blue a BRT, either in median lanes or curbside, or Green a median BRT or LRT.

Alternatively, should ordinary bus services simply be improved in this area to cover the last mile. using resources no longer needed on improved corridors?

View attachment 214093

A little sneak peek of something I'm working on. I'm putting it here because I feel like I'm missing something in this area.

Which route would be most appropriate to become a transit corridor in some capacity? Red (Finch), Green (Victoria Park), and Blue (Warden) can all continue west/east/south as necessary. I'm inclined to make Red or Blue a BRT, either in median lanes or curbside, or Green a median BRT or LRT.

Alternatively, should ordinary bus services simply be improved in this area to cover the last mile. using resources no longer needed on improved corridors?
I would say have both one north-south (Vic Park or Warden) and one east-west (Finch). You can extend the Finch West LRT east toward Finch Station on Line 1 and then further east to your proposed L'Amoureux station. Which could then be extended even further east to Woodside Square and Malvern on the future.

In my maps, I've had Warden as the transit corridor as it's a good even distance inbetween a supposed DRL/OL North on Don Mills and the Stouffville Line. And preferably if you have either Vic Park or Warden rapid transit, the ideal would be if the line goes all the way south to Vic Park or Warden stations on Line 2. Thinking about a future northern extension, my thinking is that Warden has more potential as it could extend north to Markham downtown. Vic Park ends at Denison and even if it short turns onto Woodbine, there isn't as much density as Warden (Unless Buttonville Airport does actually get developed).

As for what technology, I prefer to just build it as LRT now because Toronto is growing so fast, you'll need the extra capacity. BRT might not have enough years of capacity before it gets full. Both Warden and Vic Park are quite populated and dense.

After all of that, I don't think there'll be any more need to rapid transit in the area as it is practically all well served with the other corridors simply served by regularly frequent busses (though maybe with HOV/bus lanes).

The Ontario Line and Yonge Extension will probably already be nearing capacity when they open. Now is the time to start advocating an Ontario Line North extension, to parallel the Vaughan/University Line.

I think Sheppard/Don Mills is not far enough; it needs to at least go to Steeles, to intercept the Finch and Steeles East buses, hit Seneca, and pull drivers from the DVP. I'm thinking a terminus at Steeles/404 (or Victoria Park) or potentially into Markham, to Highway 7 and Warden or maybe Woodbine.

Which is the better terminus?

NCGQECc.png

6TnLeR5.png

The Ontario Line and Yonge Extension will probably already be nearing capacity when they open. Now is the time to start advocating an Ontario Line North extension, to parallel the Vaughan/University Line.

I think Sheppard/Don Mills is not far enough; it needs to at least go to Steeles, to intercept the Finch and Steeles East buses, hit Seneca, and pull drivers from the DVP. I'm thinking a terminus at Steeles/404 (or Victoria Park) or potentially into Markham, to Highway 7 and Warden or maybe Woodbine.

NCGQECc.png

6TnLeR5.png
Markham, but this shouldn't be an argument for OL extension, as the line would just get even more crowded and further fail to alleviate Line 2 and Bloor Yonge. This would be an argument for building a higher capacity Ontario line (aka using Subway rolling stock).

View attachment 214093

NCGQECc.png

6TnLeR5.png

Warden is the better alignment for Rapid Transit northeast of Seneca College because it aligns with some major higher density areas (Bridletowne, Bamburgh Circle, Steeles/Warden, Markham City Centre).

NCGQECc.png

6TnLeR5.png
The Ontario Line (or Relief Line) East is basically set.
It must pass through.
1) City Hall; 2) East Harbour; 3) Pape; 4) Thorncliffe; 5) Science Centre; 6) Fairview Mall; 7) Seneca College.
That should do us for the next 30 years - at which time we could start worrying about how to go farther north.
There's some minor quibbling about the specifics, but that's about it.

Nice, can you post a larger version of the first photo?

@Neutrino sorry, my graphic skills are notoriously poor. I have not spent the same degree of thought to the West side so I am not as sure of the route there.
Globally, since the Spadina side goes NW, the other large lines on the West (O-Line and K-Line) will also be similarly angled.

I just now tried to fit the new Dark Blue line down Parliament - although I am not certain of the elevations there. I am hoping it can go over the B Line and still under Parliament and need about 5 to 6m to do this.

Y Line = Yonge-University Spadina Line.
B Line = Bloor-Danforth Line.
S Line = Sheppard Line.
E Line = Eglinton Line.
F Line = Finch Line.
O Line = Ontario Line.
K Line = King Line (goes along King Street - and we will have a new King by then).
(I haven't thought through whether the streetcar/LRT lines downtown would be labelled as full rapid transit lines, or with streetcar numbers).

@Neutrino sorry, my graphic skills are notoriously poor. I have not spent the same degree of thought to the West side so I am not as sure of the route there.
Globally, since the Spadina side goes NW, the other large lines on the West (O-Line and K-Line) will also be similarly angled.

I just now tried to fit the new Dark Blue line down Parliament - although I am not certain of the elevations there. I am hoping it can go over the B Line and still under Parliament and need about 5 to 6m to do this.

Y Line = Yonge-University Spadina Line.
B Line = Bloor-Danforth Line.
S Line = Sheppard Line.
E Line = Eglinton Line.
F Line = Finch Line.
O Line = Ontario Line.
K Line = King Line (goes along King Street - and we will have a new King by then).
(I haven't thought through whether the streetcar/LRT lines downtown would be labelled as full rapid transit lines, or with streetcar numbers).

King William III or King George VII?

Back