News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 310     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 861     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

This looks incredibly wasteful. Both lines should use the same corridor instead of one on queen and one on king. It looks really accurate to metrolinx.

It worked for Montreal...

The province has released new proposals for the future of Ontario Line and a new so-called Trillium Line that will supplement the former. Map was created by Metrolinx and absolutely 100% not me. Totally was not made on an expensive exchange-rate subscription of Adobe Illustrator.

View attachment 213469

Metrolinx totes made this alternate reality if Doug did not exist and we still had DRL.

View attachment 213470

This [fantasy] map looks like the King Street TTC Trail was upgraded to a surface Calgary C-Train LRT using 3-vehicle consists and 90 meter platforms, no left turns allowed except at stoplights, and full transit priority upgrade for the entire corridor:

Calgary C-Train LRT manages to move over 300,000 people per day through a surface route through downtown intersections, so the King streetcar could theoretically be upgraded to a Calgary C-Train style system (using similar vehicles, except in a 3-new-streetcar-long consist, metro style level boarding, automatic green light transit priority, in a dedicated cars-free corridor). Would be much cheaper than a subway, more of a turbocharged LRT upgrade / extension of one streetcar route.

All I can say is thank you for adding a Cherry stop on the Ontario Line. Its ridiculous its not on there right now.

I mean.... wow Metrolinx added Cherry to the Ontario Line ;)

Absolutely. The spacing between Corktown and East Harbour is incredibly long and with the new developments in East Bayfront and the Port Lands, a station at Cherry would be very much needed. Maybe if it was named the Distillery Station, Ford will be more inclined to include it in the plans because of its alcohol-related name.

This [fantasy] map looks like the King Street TTC Trail was upgraded to a surface Calgary C-Train LRT using 3-vehicle consists and 90 meter platforms, no left turns allowed except at stoplights, and full transit priority upgrade for the entire corridor:

Calgary C-Train LRT manages to move over 300,000 people per day through a surface route through downtown intersections, so the King streetcar could theoretically be upgraded to a Calgary C-Train style system (using similar vehicles, except in a 3-new-streetcar-long consist, metro style level boarding, automatic green light transit priority, in a dedicated cars-free corridor). Would be much cheaper than a subway, more of a turbocharged LRT upgrade / extension of one streetcar route.

View attachment 213595
Exactly. If the city would just give proper ROW and proper street signal timing for all the streetcar routes, the city would move so much more people at a much cheaper cost than underground transit.

Whoa, a perfectly circular relief line (kinda like Toronto transit planning)

We again have a case of a video game developer not believing how inadequate our rapid transit map looks like, and instead creating something more "realistic" for a city of our size for their video game. This time it is Overwatch 2.

View attachment 213583

Whoa, a perfectly circular relief line (kinda like Toronto transit planning)

I kinda wanted to see how it would look like with a better map and more thought out system. It is kinda not bad.

North Point = Finch Station
West Point = Mt. Dennis
East Point = Don Mills & Eglinton
South Point = King Street

Of course, one can use the Sheppard corridor as an alternative northern point of the line, but this is a fantasy map after all.

I tried to recreate the circular shape in the north-west, but I think that hitting Lawrence and Dufferin might actually be better (even though Lawrence West station is nearby) as it would unlock more development potential. It would lead to the circle looking a bit like Pacman, but I digress, we are building transit not geometric shapes.

Last edited:
We again have a case of a video game developer not believing how inadequate our rapid transit map looks like, and instead creating something more "realistic" for a city of our size for their video game. This time it is Overwatch 2.

View attachment 213583
Apparently, Blizzard Entertainment with billions of dollars can't even research proposed transit lines based on geography.

Yes, I know that this thread isn't restricted to transit fantasy maps in the Toronto area.

For Atlanta, it would be interesting for the following to happen (though it will be politically and financially very difficult):
  • The Blue Line extended westward from Hamilton E. Holmes to Adamsville, Fulton County Airport Brown Field, Six Flags over Georgia (seasonal), and to the terminus at Sweetwater Creek State Park.
  • The Blue Line extended eastward from Indian Creek to Redan, Lithonia, and to the terminus at the Mall at Stonecrest
  • A new east-west line (it can be LRT and the line can be coloured purple) from Suntrust Park / Cobb Galleria Centre [sic] in the west, passing through Chattahoochee River National Recreational Area, Buckhead (the western part), then to the Red Line's Buckhead station, where it follows the Red Line south to Lindbergh Center, then deviating from the Red and Gold Lines to travel eastward to Emory University, and meet the Blue Line at Decatur and follow it eastward to Avondale, then heading northeast to Scottdale, Clarkston, Stone Mountain (the community), and to the terminus at Stone Mountain (the actual mountain with the relief) in the east
One benefit of this is that Five Points station would be relieved (if it ever needs relieving in the first place).

I am not very familiar with Atlanta, so it would be great to provide suggestions.

The province has released new proposals for the future of Ontario Line and a new so-called Trillium Line that will supplement the former. Map was created by Metrolinx and absolutely 100% not me. Totally was not made on an expensive exchange-rate subscription of Adobe Illustrator.

View attachment 213469

Metrolinx totes made this alternate reality if Doug did not exist and we still had DRL.

View attachment 213470

Surprised that they are making maps for RL 2 already. One would think that signing off RL 1 should be their first priority :)

Anyway, the route for "Trillium Line" mostly makes sense, except in the west where running a subway up both Dufferin and Roncesvalles looks like an overkill. If one line goes north to connect to Bloor, then the other should continue west into Etobicoke.

Regarding the idea of combining the two lines through downtown, and branching at the edges: that can only work if they quad-track the common section. If they want to run a train every 90 s on the Ontario Line alone to achieve the desired capacity, then no chance to squeeze the Trillium Line trains into the same pair of tracks.

Last edited:
Apparently, Blizzard Entertainment with billions of dollars can't even research proposed transit lines based on geography.

Because even with all the proposed Toronto transit lines, it would not be befitting of the image of a future metropolis that the game wants. A crazy spaghetti like London, Paris and New York gives off the feeling better.

Last edited:

Back