News   May 09, 2024
 468     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 794     1 
News   May 09, 2024
 538     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Re: James Bow's map. I'd support any plan that gave us a subway stop called "Jethro"! We love this.

Someone asked me to steroid up my map:
TTC_v5_E_SSS.png

I was gonna do to it a ride guide, but midterms are killing me, hahaha.

Link:
http://ttc.g3z.com/TTC_v5_E_S.png

Alternate Link:
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/9914/ttcv5eswm7.png

This map looks great at least. Nice job! I don't agree with the ideas, of course, but it is still a lot of fun to look at. IMO, this is what the London Underground style is best suited for: highly complex systems. So many people use this style but the system depicted is too simple and it doesn't look aesthetically pleasing at all.

On my map, the subway system is very simple and I wanted to show commuter rail and streetcars as well, and I wanted it to be as detailed as possible, so I would never use that style.

That map has a lot of interlining, more so than I'd do but otherwise not too bad. One of those interlines at Finch should continue on as a Yonge express line, with local service through Richmond Hill to Bernard Terminal and limited stops through the 416. That way both 905 and 416 residents get the best/maximum subway access/service as possible.

Thanks, guys. And I think I will amend the map to include a terminal at Seneca College.

The Sheppard-Finch line extension to the Airport will have to be a "future extension". :)

...James

This map looks great at least. Nice job! I don't agree with the ideas, of course, but it is still a lot of fun to look at. IMO, this is what the London Underground style is best suited for: highly complex systems. So many people use this style but the system depicted is too simple and it doesn't look aesthetically pleasing at all.

On my map, the subway system is very simple and I wanted to show commuter rail and streetcars as well, and I wanted it to be as detailed as possible, so I would never use that style.

I actually pulled together line ideas, from various people over the course of making it. One of them notably:

http://adamgoodenough.deviantart.com/art/Subway-36628258

Under the guise of "Adam Goodenough" among many other people.

That map has a lot of interlining, more so than I'd do but otherwise not too bad. One of those interlines at Finch should continue on as a Yonge express line, with local service through Richmond Hill to Bernard Terminal and limited stops through the 416. That way both 905 and 416 residents get the best/maximum subway access/service as possible.

I just think that Toronto is more than ready than it was in 1966 to go interlining again. I think we're more than capable of handling it and that we're not the small developing city we used to be.

I disagree. Should I bust out the list of nodes served by the Eglinton line vs the DRL again? The list served by the DRL was twice as long.

That's only if you choose to use subway technology along the DRL, instead of more suitable commuter trains, LRTs or BRT. But let's give your comparison theory a try, shall we:

Eglinton- Pearson, Dixon corporate zone, Skyway Industrial Park, Airport Corporate Centre, Mississauga Transit Terminal, Scarlett Mills condo developments, Weston/Mt Dennis catchment, Eglinton West BIA, two possible GO connections @ Black Creek and Caledonia, two possible YUS connections, Eglinton Way shopping district, Upper Canada College, Yonge-Eglinton area, Sunnybrook/Glendon catchment, Leaside Ctr/industrial park, [with Overlea-Don Mills diversion: Throncliffe Park, Flemingdon Park, Ontario Science Ctr, Don Mills Centre, Wynford-Concorde business area], Eglinton Square/Golden Mile area, mass terminal @Kennedy Stn, Eglinton GO Stn, Markington Sq and proximity to Cedarbrae, option of expanding to Morningside/UTSC.

DRL- Seneca College, transfer @Sheppard, Graydon Hall/Lesmill area, Don Mills Centre, Ont Sci Ctr, Thorncliffe Park, Pape Village/Greektown, transfer @Danforth, Gerrard Sq, East Bayfront/West Don Lands, Distillery District/St Lawrence, Union Stn, Skydome/CN Tower, waterfront condos, Fort York, Exhibition, Queen West condos, Bloor GO, Mt Dennis/Weston, Woodbine Racetrack, Pearson.

As you'll see there's alot of overlap is involved. So really it's just a matter of which is better bang for Torontonians/GTA's buck.

That's only if you choose to use subway technology along the DRL, instead of more suitable commuter trains, LRTs or BRT. But let's give your comparison theory a try, shall we:

Eglinton- Pearson, Dixon corporate zone, Skyway Industrial Park, Airport Corporate Centre, Mississauga Transit Terminal, Scarlett Mills condo developments, Weston/Mt Dennis catchment, Eglinton West BIA, two possible GO connections @ Black Creek and Caledonia, two possible YUS connections, Eglinton Way shopping district, Upper Canada College, Yonge-Eglinton area, Sunnybrook/Glendon catchment, Leaside Ctr/industrial park, [with Overlea-Don Mills diversion: Throncliffe Park, Flemingdon Park, Ontario Science Ctr, Don Mills Centre, Wynford-Concorde business area], Eglinton Square/Golden Mile area, mass terminal @Kennedy Stn, Eglinton GO Stn, Markington Sq and proximity to Cedarbrae, option of expanding to Morningside/UTSC.

DRL- Seneca College, transfer @Sheppard, Graydon Hall/Lesmill area, Don Mills Centre, Ont Sci Ctr, Thorncliffe Park, Pape Village/Greektown, transfer @Danforth, Gerrard Sq, East Bayfront/West Don Lands, Distillery District/St Lawrence, Union Stn, Skydome/CN Tower, waterfront condos, Fort York, Exhibition, Queen West condos, Bloor GO, Mt Dennis/Weston, Woodbine Racetrack, Pearson.

As you'll see there's alot of overlap is involved. So really it's just a matter of which is better bang for Torontonians/GTA's buck.
First off, no Eglinton line is going to divert south to Thorncliffe Park, north to Don Mills, and then back to Eglinton again. Those must be the famous 180 degree turns I keep reading about. So right off the bat we can take off all the nodes you have in brackets. Upper Canada College and Glendon college aren't on Eglinton, so including them is iffy at best. If you can include those for Eglinton you have to include places like Roncesvalles and Regent Park in a DRL. Weston is way too far to include. And power centres and industrial parks aren't exactly big trip generators for transit, but I'll give you those, and add them onto a DRL as well.

So let's do this comparison again.

Eglinton: Pearson, Dixon corporate zone, Skyway Industrial Park, Airport Corporate Centre, Mississauga City Centre, Scarlett Mills condo developments, Mt Dennis, Eglinton West BIA, 2 GO connections @ Black Creek and Caledonia, 2 YUS connections @ Allen & Yonge, Eglinton Way, Upper Canada College, Yonge-Eglinton area, Sunnybrook/Glendon, Flemingdon Park, Leaside Ctr/industrial park, Eglinton Square/Golden Mile area, mass terminal @Kennedy Stn, Eglinton GO Stn, Markington Sq and proximity to Cedarbrae, option of expanding to Morningside/UTSC.

DRL: Seneca College, transfer @Sheppard, Fairview Mall, Graydon Hall/Lesmill area, Don Mills Centre, 2 transfers to Eglinton LRT @ Don Mills & Mount Dennis, Ontario Science Centre, Flemingdon Park, Thorncliffe Park, Pape Village, Greektown, 2 transfers to Bloor-Danforth line @ Pape & Dundas West, Gerrard Sq, Riverdale, Regent Park, East Bayfront, West Don Lands, Distillery District, St Lawrence, King East, Union Station, Financial District (that alone is a HUGE argument in favour of the DRL), ACC, Skydome/CN Tower, Harbourfront, Cityplace, Fort York, Fort York neighbourhood, Exhibition, King West/Entertainment District, Queen West, Parkdale, Roncesvalles Village, 4 GO connections @ Etobicoke North, Weston, Bloor, & Union, the Junction, St. Clair, Mt Dennis, Weston, Woodbine Racetrack, 409/427 industrial area, Pearson.

Not to mention diverted ridership from the Yonge and Bloor subways, the King, Carlton, Dundas, Queen, and St. Clair streetcars, and the Eglinton LRT.

All that and the DRL is 5 km shorter than your proposed Eglinton line.

^ Those aren't really nodes. A Weston subway would be cheap, but most of those so-called "nodes" could easily be served by the existing and overlapping GO rail lines that need some serious investment themselves. A Weston subway line is a great idea, but it should be low priority. A Don Mills subway should be the highest priority, and it has nothing to do with the "nodes" that ti would serve.

I also question need for subways lines to be built to serve as many "nodes" as possible, considering that the existing Bloor-Danforth line doesn't serve many nodes either, completely bypassing the Financial District and not reaching SCC, yet is still very busy.

^ Those aren't really nodes. A Weston subway would be cheap, but most of those so-called "nodes" could easily be served by the existing and overlapping GO rail lines that need some serious investment themselves.

Now that you mention it, I'm actually in favour of converting the entire GO network to electrified regional rail, some lines with higher frequencies than others. The Weston/Pearson, Don Mills/Pape, and Lakeshore lines would basically form a DRL.

I also question need for subways lines to be built to serve as many "nodes" as possible, considering that the existing Bloor-Danforth line doesn't serve many nodes either, completely bypassing the Financial District and not reaching SCC, yet is still very busy.
Yes but many of the passengers are transferring to get to the Financial District. A DRL would divert a lot of riders. I agree with your point about nodes, which is why I mentioned all the existing transit lines that would be relieved by a DRL. An Eglinton line wouldn't have those benefits, which is why I think an Eglinton LRT partnered with a DRL would be ideal.

First off, no Eglinton line is going to divert south to Thorncliffe Park, north to Don Mills, and then back to Eglinton again. Those must be the famous 180 degree turns I keep reading about. So right off the bat we can take off all the nodes you have in brackets. Upper Canada College and Glendon college aren't on Eglinton, so including them is iffy at best. If you can include those for Eglinton you have to include places like Roncesvalles and Regent Park in a DRL. Weston is way too far to include. And power centres and industrial parks aren't exactly big trip generators for transit, but I'll give you those, and add them onto a DRL as well.

All that and the DRL is 5 km shorter than your proposed Eglinton line.

Where are you getting your data from on km length? Terminal 3 to Markham/Kingston Rds might seem long, but Pearson to Union to Don Mills/Steeles involving several meandering curves would be longer.

About the Eglinton diversion, it's never been officially proposed, I just came up with the idea when I realized alot of the DRL would route through vacant, undevelopable lands. Between O'connor and Throncliffe Park would be one such section. On Eglinton between Leslie and Swift there's not much but parklands. Naturally subway lines should be built to serve the most people possible in the most cost-effective manner. And you may say it'd be costly to divert a subway from under Eglinton, through the Wilket Creek Valley to Overlea/Don Mills then the E Don River Valley through Wynford Hts back to underneath Eglinton. However is it not more costly to build two new full-fledged subways from scratch?

About Glendon/Sunnybrook and Weston, I meant as catchments as they'd be 5-10 mins away from the Eglinton subway in contrast to 20-30 minutes from YUS/BD.

Now that you mention it, I'm actually in favour of converting the entire GO network to electrified regional rail, some lines with higher frequencies than others. The Weston/Pearson, Don Mills/Pape, and Lakeshore lines would basically form a DRL.

Now you're talking. DRL already exists, GO just needs to provide a local routing along those corridor with a frequency of every 10 mins and Torontonians would be set. It'd only take a few million to undertake as well, setting aside the billions Toronto's supposed to receive for transit to go towards:
-Eglinton Crosstown as a subway
-BD extensions to Sherway Gardens and SCC
-Sheppard to Downsview and Victoria Park
-Downtown subway line from St Joseph's to the Beaches
-Transit City as a BRT network

SRT to College & hospital

I have a question i think may of you might like to jump on.

WHY NOT connect the SRT to the College, and from there to the hospital.

connecting to college obviously an easy and cheap start would:
help with the parking situation
100's of students $1000's in transportation cost
expand the schools student base out reach
...etc

connect the school to the hospital would offer new school opportunities, not to mention the benefit of better access to a hospital... something we really need these days.

going this way would also have enough space for a yard, and is in a place where the TTC would be happy... mostly away from residents.

I'd like to hear some good reasons why this is not possible.

Since refurbishing and expanding the SRT means that it's sticking around, I don't see a reason why we can't consider building branches and more expansions. We could send it down Ellesmere to Scarborough College, and if the Neilson-401 alignment is chosen for the SRT, then the Scarborough-Malvern LRT won't have to leave Kingston Road. I'm sure many people on this board would love that.

There are also opportunities to expand the SRT on the southern end to build the Eglinton Crosstown using SRT technology.

Since it looks like it's going to be sticking around for some time, I say go for it.

Back