News   Jul 09, 2024
 547     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 549     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

RE:

A subway to Ninth Line is a bad idea no matter who suggests it.

Rail that extends to the Markham Stouffville hospital is a brilliant idea. This concept is along the same lines as my idea of light rail along the 407. Let's get this project going already!! 8)

Re: RE:

To the wonderful suburban Longo's Plaza and the Hidden Gem of Box Grove! Let's move!

Re: RE:

I personally think subways should concentrating on serving busy corridors rather than connecting nodes. Leave the job of connecting the nodes the regional rail system.

But still, most maps like this are just random, but you had a concept and you ran with it, and that's why this is still a good map, even though I disagree with much of your choices. Many of routes connect very few or very minor nodes and you have ignored routes that would connect many more and bigger nodes (such as those in the Hurontario corridor).

I don't think there is any point to go into any more detail than that, I have made my own map after all which not many people liked either.

A subway to Ninth Line is a bad idea no matter who suggests it.

Inclusive of yourself. You did want to run BD up McCowan to Markville/Hwy 7/McCowan GO once didn't you ;) ? That's a stone's throw and veer away from Markham-Stoufville.

I think the subway map Enviro posted also goes too far into the suburbs and has some weird routings (like Rouge Hill via Malvern). A subway to Bramalea City Centre?

It makes me shudder everytime I think about hundreds of 000s along Queen Street and the immense criticism I got for favoring building a line for them over a DRL, a DRL destined for Bramalea nonetheless :eek !

The only subway into the 905 really ought to be Yonge,

When will the suburbs start thinking for themselves and not wait perpetually for Toronto handouts? The MT busway could be a subway/RT line all it's as with Brampton and VIVA.

yea, that was a weird hump going to malvern then back down to kingston.

Gee, that doesn't make my Lawson hump so nightmarish now does it? Enviro's hump basically a rethread of the JC Guong fantasy map that saw a line through the Tallpines hinterlands surrounded by the real Rouge Park, not the Zoo area.

and just to socialwoe, everybody's transit maps are basically the same -- they are all based on proposals that the city has put forth, not you.

You weren't here when I was blind-sided left, right and centre on mine. Yes my map did admitedly follow most official plans but where it deviated from the norm I was really accosted (Lakeshore line, Eglinton east of Markham Rd, Lawson/Port Union area, Sheppard West, Queen to the Fallingbrook area, Queen interlining with DRL and jogging to Chinatown, Eglinton to Airport/Albion via Martin Grove/Hwy 27).

^ That and the fact that socialwoe's map is effectively a superset of every possible map.

Yup, my additions to the norm indeed make my map super :D !

I personally think subways should concentrating on serving busy corridors rather than connecting nodes. Leave the job of connecting the nodes the regional rail system.

Busy corridors: Queen, Eglinton and Sheppard
Node connectors: DRL
Hmm, I think it's aparent where the subways in contrast to the regional rail lines should go, oh wait GO already serves the DRL path.

It's not reasonable at all... It's necessary.

And looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong overdue!

A few comments.

1. The purpose of commuter trains should be to focus on longer trips. Taking a subway from downtown Toronto to the 905 is something that will never make sense to me. A good commuter rail and bus system would have integrated fares and routes.

2. This map does not show priorities. In a 30 phase implementation plan Cornell Town Centre would be priority number 30, Malvern to Morningside a priority 29, Bramalea Centre a priority 28. In addition, overflow on existing lines could insert more routes not even shown on the map in more dense areas downtown making priority 30 an even lower priority.

3. The purple line from SCC to meet the blue line and the orientation of the Orange line from Seneca Hill to Steeles and the hydro corridor are the pieces I am least comfortable with. I felt there needed to be purple line connection to the blue line to assist in connecting SCC to Pickering but it was hard to decide whether to run via Malvern, via Sheppard, or via Ellesmere and whether to terminate on Markham Rd, Morningside, Meadowvale, or Port Union. I ended up selecting the current path since it hit Sheppard & Markham Rd, Malvern Town Centre, and U of T Scarborough which could be a much larger independant university in the future. With the Seneca Hill to Steeles routing I ended up choosing the route based on ideal placement of stations. I looked at other routings but it had too great an impact on the neighbourhood east of Pharmacy in that it would have people walking from apartment buildings down residential streets to get to the subway or have people walking down residential streets to get to office buildings.

Here are the priorities I would attach to the map.

1. Yellow = Downsview to Vaughan Centre (only because it is already funded... going to Vaughan shouldn't be this high a priority)
2. Green = Kennedy to Scarborough Centre
3. Purple = Fairview to Markham Rd (because the line was already started)
4. Orange = Union to Pape
5. Orange = Pape to Flemingdon
6. Orange = Flemingdon to Don Mills
7. Yellow = Finch to Langstaff Centre
8. Orange = Union to Dundas West
9. Purple = Yonge to Weston Rd
10. Blue = Eglinton West to Weston Rd
11. Blue = Weston Rd to Airport
12. Green = Kipling to Mississauga Centre
13. Blue = Eglinton West to Flemingdon
14. Blue = Flemingdon to Markham Rd
15. Orange = Dundas West to Lawrence
16. Orange = Fairview to Markham Centre
17. Purple = Weston Rd to Humber College
18. Purple = Humber College to Pearson to Eglinton
19. Purple = Humber College to Sherway Gardens
20. Purple = Markham Rd to Malvern
21. Blue = Markham Rd to Port Union Rd
22. Blue = Port Union Rd to Pickering Centre
23. Orange = Lawrence Rd to Albion Centre
24. Purple = Sherway Gardens to Long Branch
25. Green = Scarborough Centre to Passmore
26. Orange = Albion Centre to Seven
27. Blue = Airport to Bramalea Station
28. Blue = Bramalea Station to Bramalea Centre
29. Purple = Malvern to Morningside
30. Green = Passmore to Cornell Centre

As for what we need today... I would say probably only the first 15 priorities.

I think the colour orange should be reserved for a Hurontario subway, if and when it's built. I think red should be used for Eglinton. And blue for DRL. But that's just my opinion. If only we had so many colors on our subway maps!

I used red for LRT so the Queen LRT tunnel made sense to make red. This left orange and blue, orange being near red and yellow on the colour wheel and blue which is in between purple and green.

socialwoe, where can I find this map that you are raving about? I have heard many things about it, yet I have never actually seen it.

It is on Page 5 of "If any new expansion could be done what would it be? " in the Transportation Issues section. It has moved to the second page of topics now.

I used red for LRT so the Queen LRT tunnel made sense to make red. This left orange and blue, orange being near red and yellow on the colour wheel and blue which is in between purple and green.

It doesn't necessarily have to follow the colour wheel, even Sheppard doesn't as it's actually fuschia on maps instead of purple. However using red for a 'subway' line would confuse alot of people even if the lining's thicker.

socialwoe, where can I find this map that you are raving about? I have heard many things about it, yet I have never actually seen it.

Yeah, what Enviro said. I've been meaning to post my updated version for a while now set to an actual city grid. It's basically the same, though I've rerouted the Queen and BD lines. Enviro's is quite similar, main difference being he's a tad stingy with the number of stations but overly generous to the suburbs.

I doubt that red would be used to denote a subway line, as it is the colour to denote bus routes. Also, blue is used for the blue night service. Hows about pink and teal instead

Blue or orange would be great to use, SRT becoming defunct and orange never utilized. In several publications, formats of Sheppard's colour scheme varies from violet, fuschia or even hot pink. Likewise BD often appears as turquoise or teal.

Back