News   Oct 18, 2019
 947     0 
News   Oct 18, 2019
 714     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
In the fantasy planning world, how would you design a GO Train system if you were starting completely from scratch? In other words if there were absolutely no existing rail lines whatsoever, and you were able to lay track exactly where it is best needed for today's transit needs. I'm just curious how GO should look like if it did not need to rely on where rail lines were laid in the late 1800's and early 1900's
I have no clue what I would do in downtown tbh. I don't like how the rail corridor separates the city from the waterfront, but at the same time having it anyplace north would divide downtown into two. Putting Union Station on the Midtown Corridor approximately where Summerhill is would be beneficial for the ability to have two Union Stations, one at Summerhil and the other at Dupont (and a third probably somewhere between The Junction and Ossington). However, having it that far north would mean forcing a transfer onto our north-south subway lines to reach downtown, which would be a transfer+congestion nightmare.

I would put many more rail lines in Scarborough however, around 3. Have them interline together on their way downtown for frequent service in it's own tunnel downtown. Basically, copying the Sydney/Melbourne way of doing things. SmartTrack on crack?

Woodbridge_Heights

Member Bio
Reaction score
In the fantasy planning world, how would you design a GO Train system if you were starting completely from scratch? In other words if there were absolutely no existing rail lines whatsoever, and you were able to lay track exactly where it is best needed for today's transit needs. I'm just curious how GO should look like if it did not need to rely on where rail lines were laid in the late 1800's and early 1900's
I often wonder what would have happened if Union station were designed not as a through station but as an end station. Essentially as a "T" with the lines still running along the lakeshore, but then turning North into the station. Thus allowing for greater layover time vs the through design.

Starting completely from scratch is hard because a lot of decisions depend on circumstances at the time of planning. So if we go back to the 60's and design from there, ..., I think you would look at existing population centres and try to connect them to the downtown (and secondarily together). I think the only major thing that might change would be to put a crosstown line through the Yonge/Eglington area. I would also integrate a GO line with the airport.

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think the only major thing that might change would be to put a crosstown line through the Yonge/Eglington area.
We had one btw. It wasn't profitable and was abandoned. Today it is the Belt Line.

Eglinton as a corridor is deserving of higher-order transit. An express midtown service is still something that should be considered today and in this fantasy scenario, but it should serve a different purpose and travel pattern than an Eglinton line.

micheal_can

Member Bio
Reaction score
Because of the lake, the current lines of GO work well. They radiate in all directions and get people downtown, the major employment center.

adrianaliu

Member Bio
Reaction score
When I'm bored, I make transit fantasy maps.
View attachment 102641
Some context
why no stops in mississauga, do u expect mt to serve those sections of the line and brampton to operate more of an express service, either way, i think at least a couple stops in missisauga would be nice. its great to see someone make a brampton transit fantasy map for a change, i made a couple short term ones before my hard drive failed. also i would put the kitchener rer line along with its stops in this map, at least as a thinner line to show less frequent service than the other routes. do you think brampton transit will be operating a route along the 407 transitway in 2051??

toaster29

Member Bio
Reaction score
MiWay and Branton Transit, I believe, do not require additional fare when transferring between the two, so it does not make sense to operate as an 'express' (as MiWay does when going to Islington Subway station, by not picking up passengers in Toronto) to get to the larger stations.

salsa

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have no clue what I would do in downtown tbh. I don't like how the rail corridor separates the city from the waterfront, but at the same time having it anyplace north would divide downtown into two.
In Chicago the rail corridor is trenched. Which is great because the cross streets do not turn into a dark underpass whenever it crosses the corridor. And since it's also possible to build anything on top of it (either development or public space such as Millenium Square), eventually you won't even notice that there's a rail corridor. In a perfect world, this is what we should have had in Toronto.

Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 12.23.27 PM.png

Attachments

adrianaliu

Member Bio
Reaction score
In Chicago the rail corridor is trenched. Which is great because the cross streets do not turn into a dark underpass whenever it crosses the corridor. And since it's also possible to build anything on top of it (either development or public space such as Millenium Square), eventually you won't even notice that there's a rail corridor. In a perfect world, this is what we should have had in Toronto.

View attachment 102897
the union stn rail corridor is mostly trenched its about what we do with it. rail deck park is a good idea and we already have many overpasses

adrianaliu

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://i.imgur.com/oaXvg8J.png
yo guys heres a map I made of the transit network I think we should be working towards in downtown. yeah most of the new streetcar lines would run in separate ROW particularly those in the port lands and east bayfront. king street would also have dedicated streetcar lanes and free ride from dufferin to sumach, lakeshore blvd west would have streetcar ROW as well. 501 would have branches going on lakeshore, queensway and then queen and kingston rd on the east end. I imagine that there would be an infrequent bus service that parallels the relief line to provide local service to queen and roncesvales kinda like 97 yonge does today. If you have any questions I'm willing to answer.