News   Mar 28, 2024
 107     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Transit Fantasy Maps

MiWay and Branton Transit, I believe, do not require additional fare when transferring between the two, so it does not make sense to operate as an 'express' (as MiWay does when going to Islington Subway station, by not picking up passengers in Toronto) to get to the larger stations.

I have no clue what I would do in downtown tbh. I don't like how the rail corridor separates the city from the waterfront, but at the same time having it anyplace north would divide downtown into two.

In Chicago the rail corridor is trenched. Which is great because the cross streets do not turn into a dark underpass whenever it crosses the corridor. And since it's also possible to build anything on top of it (either development or public space such as Millenium Square), eventually you won't even notice that there's a rail corridor. In a perfect world, this is what we should have had in Toronto.

Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 12.23.27 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 12.23.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 12.23.27 PM.png
    930.4 KB · Views: 649
In Chicago the rail corridor is trenched. Which is great because the cross streets do not turn into a dark underpass whenever it crosses the corridor. And since it's also possible to build anything on top of it (either development or public space such as Millenium Square), eventually you won't even notice that there's a rail corridor. In a perfect world, this is what we should have had in Toronto.

View attachment 102897

the union stn rail corridor is mostly trenched its about what we do with it. rail deck park is a good idea and we already have many overpasses

http://i.imgur.com/oaXvg8J.png
yo guys heres a map I made of the transit network I think we should be working towards in downtown. yeah most of the new streetcar lines would run in separate ROW particularly those in the port lands and east bayfront. king street would also have dedicated streetcar lanes and free ride from dufferin to sumach, lakeshore blvd west would have streetcar ROW as well. 501 would have branches going on lakeshore, queensway and then queen and kingston rd on the east end. I imagine that there would be an infrequent bus service that parallels the relief line to provide local service to queen and roncesvales kinda like 97 yonge does today. If you have any questions I'm willing to answer.

This is my first Fantasy Map:
TYmVHUd.jpg

Tell me what you think :D
Looks good. My concern is duplication on the SSE to STC, and also the SRT to STC. It may almost be considered triplication when SmartTrack is factored in.

For Sheppard, is that an underground/elevated subway extension, or a conversion to on-street LRT or grade-separated SkyTrain of some sorts?

This is my first Fantasy Map:
TYmVHUd.jpg

Tell me what you think :D

Looks good! I've advocated for many of those things in the past, including a Sheppard-Finch LRT (unless those are two separate lines, I can't tell). I also like using Dufferin as the DRL west route.

One thing I've been toying with is diverting the Sheppard LRT south at the Stouffville line, and then having it pick up the SRT alignment until it hits Sheppard again, then having it continue to UTSC. That would negate the need to extend B-D to Sheppard, and to have LRT on Sheppard through low-density commercial. It would also negate the need for BRT along Ellesmere west of UTSC, since the Sheppard LRT would hit it, Centennial College, and STC.

yo guys heres a map I made of the transit network I think we should be working towards in downtown. yeah most of the new streetcar lines would run in separate ROW particularly those in the port lands and east bayfront. king street would also have dedicated streetcar lanes and free ride from dufferin to sumach, lakeshore blvd west would have streetcar ROW as well. 501 would have branches going on lakeshore, queensway and then queen and kingston rd on the east end. I imagine that there would be an infrequent bus service that parallels the relief line to provide local service to queen and roncesvales kinda like 97 yonge does today. If you have any questions I'm willing to answer.

While I like the idea. I wonder if being downtown focused will anger voters in the suburbs like Etobicoke or North York or Scarborough.

Someone posted this. It is the frequent service and busiest bus routes. I feel that if the city were smart and prudent They should expand the Streetcar/LRT routes to replace the busiest buses.

Attachments

• future street car.png
    future street car.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 274
While I like the idea. I wonder if being downtown focused will anger voters in the suburbs like Etobicoke or North York or Scarborough.

Someone posted this. It is the frequent service and busiest bus routes. I feel that if the city were smart and prudent They should expand the Streetcar/LRT routes to replace the busiest buses.

by no means am i saying we should focus on downtown only!!! if u look closely, line 2 goes to cloverdale, drl goes to eglinton and line 1 goes to steeles. I just really feel that waterfront transit should be planned with the relief line in mind, so I made the map to show how I would arrange the network in downtown.

And here's a completely off base, never going to happen, I-dont-want-to-imagine-how-expensive-this-would-be, high speed rail fantasy map.
HighSpeedCanada.jpg

Attachments

• HighSpeedCanada.jpg
    HighSpeedCanada.jpg
    891.8 KB · Views: 813

Awesome! Love the sleek look. Sorry if you've answered this, but do you use illustrator for your maps?

The stop spacing on the DRL is so wide... but unfortunately that is realistic for what will probably be built.

I like the touch of renaming stations for the neighbourhoods instead of the streets, but they don't exactly correspond with where the neighbourhoods sit in my mind. The junction is further north, north of Dupont. Chinatown is centered at Dundas, not Queen. The Annex is more at Spadina, not Bathurst. Parkdale is further west, towards Roncesvalles. But I guess neighbourhood boundaries are fuzzy and vary from person to person and shift over time.

Why is the station in the inset called "Elephant"?

Awesome! Love the sleek look. Sorry if you've answered this, but do you use illustrator for your maps?

The stop spacing on the DRL is so wide... but unfortunately that is realistic for what will probably be built.

I like the touch of renaming stations for the neighbourhoods instead of the streets, but they don't exactly correspond with where the neighbourhoods sit in my mind. The junction is further north, north of Dupont. Chinatown is centered at Dundas, not Queen. The Annex is more at Spadina, not Bathurst. Parkdale is further west, towards Roncesvalles. But I guess neighbourhood boundaries are fuzzy and vary from person to person and shift over time.

Who wouldn't want a station called Elephant?

oh ok i actually use paint.net believe it or not to make maps I tried illustrator and inkscape but I have become so familiar with paint.net. I don't mind wide stop spacing on drl i guess the only disadvantage to that is that an infrequent local service will be required on queen and roncesvalles. and to me station names don't matter that much as long as they aren't completely innapropritate, so yeah I know they're a bit off, but maybe station names will end up shaping new neighbourghood boundaries. It was really a pain to find a name from Spadina and Queen and I settled on Chinatown cause it's close enough. The inset map with elephant as a station is not an inset, it's actually a legend that shows what the different lines and markers mean.

Back