422     0 
News   Jun 24, 2019
 1.2K     2 

Transit Fantasy Maps

jcam

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ahaha, I just had a crazy idea.

Let's close the loop. Extend Sheppard subway west of Yonge to Sheppard West Station, then send it down Dufferin. Toronto's very own Ring Subway Line!

View attachment 94144

Some of you are already suggesting going all the way to Yorkdale. That puts us less than 3km from Sheppard West.
I prefer the ring line using Jane....it's already one of the busiest bus routes, so merge it into the Jane LRT concept

sixrings

Member Bio
Reaction score

Let's close the loop. Extend Sheppard subway west of Yonge to Sheppard West Station, then send it down Dufferin. Toronto's very own Ring Subway Line!

View attachment 94144

Some of you are already suggesting going all the way to Yorkdale. That puts us less than 3km from Sheppard West.
considering some think that the sheppard line would need to link to the Wilson yard this isn't that crazy... its been proposed years on a thread like this or skyscrapercity.com before

Attachments

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
I prefer the ring line using Jane....it's already one of the busiest bus routes, so merge it into the Jane LRT concept
I am seeing Jane mentioned a lot, and it indeed has the ridership numbers.

But on a point-to-point comparison with Dufferin, is Jane really that more attractive?

Jane & St. Clair is straddling a rail corridor and has very minimal redevelopment potential, while Dufferin & St. Clair is in the heart of Corso Italia.

Jane & Eglinton is in the Eglinton Flats, there is zero redevelopment potential, compared to Dufferin & Eglinton, where there is plenty.

Jane & Lawrence nad Dufferin & Lawrence are fairly comparable, but I would say that Dufferin street between Eglinton and Lawrence has significant redevelopment potential while Jane has just some.

North of Lawrence, on Dufferin there is Yorkdale Mall. Jane has to travel another 6km to reach Jane&Finch neighbourhood, which will be connected with FWLRT anyway. Unless the idea is to veer to the west and reach the apartment complexes on Dixon?

My prediction: Jane bus ridership will change significantly after FWLRT and Egliton Crosstown opens. Jane&Finch area residents will travel east on FWLRT to Spadina, while the rest of Jane ridership will be cut in half as buses detour to Mt. Dennis. So maybe we will have to wait untill ~2022 to know what to do with Jane.

denfromoakvillemilton

Member Bio
Reaction score

View attachment 94144

LOL I love these maps, how are you doing this.

I like the Dufferin idea. That's a route that needs better service.

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
LOL I love these maps, how are you doing this.

I like the Dufferin idea. That's a route that needs better service.
At this point I may as well just publish the Google Map. Here it is.

It is incomplete, I haven't figured out yet how to model Crosstown East or West, what to do with Scarborough Subway, and not to mention the GO-RER corridors.

I'm not sure yet how to rate Google Maps for fantasy transit map drawing. It is nice end result, but kind of clumsy to work with, and not many options.

jcam

Member Bio
Reaction score
Jane & St. Clair is straddling a rail corridor and has very minimal redevelopment potential, while Dufferin & St. Clair is in the heart of Corso Italia.
If the missing link came to pass, and CP sold off the Lambton yard, then you'd need between 2-4 tracks for Milton/Midtown GO RER service....that leaves a significant amount of property fronting St. Clair and Dundas that could be developed/redeveloped. The parcels would have much higher ability for intensification than Dufferin/St. Clair.

denfromoakvillemilton

Member Bio
Reaction score
At this point I may as well just publish the Google Map. Here it is.

It is incomplete, I haven't figured out yet how to model Crosstown East or West, what to do with Scarborough Subway, and not to mention the GO-RER corridors.

I'm not sure yet how to rate Google Maps for fantasy transit map drawing. It is nice end result, but kind of clumsy to work with, and not many options.
Thanks!
I think maybe you should try crosstown west on Dixon Rd and see how it looks. For east, leave it the same. Extend the Bloor subway to Square too. I think Paint.net or Photoshop is better but I'm not good at drawing at all so what would I know :p

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think Paint.net or Photoshop is better but I'm not good at drawing at all so what would I know :p
I've been using Paint.Net all this time. Honestly, I want to learn how to use Adobe Illustrator better, as there is how you can make very nice images. (One project I have on my mind for Illustrator is depicting an expanded PATH system)

But if you don't feel artistically inclined, Google Maps is very mechanical. Just requires a tedious number of 'pointing-and-clicking' if you are doing anything besides a straight line.

Hopkins123

Member Bio
Reaction score
Since the Fantasy Thread is so active today, I debut this:

Having the DRL follow Parkside/Keele/Weston-Galt/Highway 27 to Humber College would bring transformative change to the northwestern segment of the City. I also include a Bloor-Danforth extension to Celebration Square, because why not.

alexb

Member Bio
Reaction score
While it's not fantasy I'm really surprised that I cannot find a regional transportation map. Does anyone know if there is a map that integrates~ (Subway, Streetcar, UP and AD2W Go, Viva, and any other BRT)?
Its far from finished and there are probably mistakes but I've been working on this recently. If anyone is interested, I could make a copy of it and we could all work on it together.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12K2XGAcrcPv0Gi6WAm7CMbuBbRc&usp=sharing

denfromoakvillemilton

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've been using Paint.Net all this time. Honestly, I want to learn how to use Adobe Illustrator better, as there is how you can make very nice images. (One project I have on my mind for Illustrator is depicting an expanded PATH system)

But if you don't feel artistically inclined, Google Maps is very mechanical. Just requires a tedious number of 'pointing-and-clicking' if you are doing anything besides a straight line.
I will have to start with google maps imo, at least till I get a hang of this. I'll be waiting for you PATH, because I have a couple of ideas myself :) I want to see.

Its far from finished and there are probably mistakes but I've been working on this recently. If anyone is interested, I could make a copy of it and we could all work on it together.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12K2XGAcrcPv0Gi6WAm7CMbuBbRc&usp=sharing
Awesome, thank you!

gweed123

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
QGIS is also a great software for drawing lines on a map. It's free and works on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

You can also have Google Maps overlay on QGIS.
I used to use Ortelius (Mac only), but about a year ago I switched over to Illustrator. For anyone who doesn't want the price tag of Illustrator though, Ortelius is a great map-making tool. It's a pretty reasonable price too (I think it was below $50).