News   Apr 26, 2024
 324     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 301     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 488     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Damn what happened to Scarborough number 1 champion, coffey? Haven't seen him in awhile in this thread.
He has been banned for a long while due to excessive offtopic deviation and many ad hominem attacks in his posts. Probably for the best to accept the moderator's discretion and move on.

Either I don't understand your suggestion, or you don't understand why the B-D extension is not palatable.
  • The objection to the B-D extension is cost. A single stop, 5km+ subway extension is pegged at $3.5B or more. To add more stations to make it useful (i.e. McCowan/Eg, Lawrence, Sheppard), the cost would exceed $5B.
  • The objection to the old SLRT proposal was that it continues to segregate Scarborough and maintains the forced transferat Kennedy Station.
From what I gather, you are proposing exactly what it currently being proposed - B-D extension along Eglinton to McCowan and then up McCowan to STC, with no intermediate stations. I don't think the route is 100% finalized, but the betting is this will be the recommended solution.
I thought McCowan was over due to cost.

Either I don't understand your suggestion, or you don't understand why the B-D extension is not palatable.
  • The objection to the B-D extension is cost. A single stop, 5km+ subway extension is pegged at $3.5B or more. To add more stations to make it useful (i.e. McCowan/Eg, Lawrence, Sheppard), the cost would exceed $5B.
  • The objection to the old SLRT proposal was that it continues to segregate Scarborough and maintains the forced transferat Kennedy Station.
From what I gather, you are proposing exactly what it currently being proposed - B-D extension along Eglinton to McCowan and then up McCowan to STC, with no intermediate stations. I don't think the route is 100% finalized, but the betting is this will be the recommended solution.

I thought part of the problem was thr routing would go in such a way that no infill stations could be done.

I for one w0uld like to see 2 stations built along that route, one at Eglinton and Danforth, and the other at Lawrence and McCowan. More than that would see unnecessary.

I would actually be happy if they just made a surface LRT along Danforth-McCowan. This would actually place Lawrence East at the hospital and let's them go straight north up McCowan to replace the super busy McCowan North bus.

Money saved from grade separation can be use to launch Eglinton East at the same time.

That's a plan that will actually serve Scarborough well.

I would actually be happy if they just made a surface LRT along Danforth-McCowan. This would actually place Lawrence East at the hospital and let's them go straight north up McCowan to replace the super busy McCowan North bus.

Money saved from grade separation can be use to launch Eglinton East at the same time.

That's a plan that will actually serve Scarborough well.
Yah, interline it with the Crosstown. Two branches means half the frequency after Kennedy (or I guess, Eglinton and Danforth if we go with that suggested alignment), but Scarborough doesn't need <4 minute frequency. People can still transfer at Kennedy to Line 2 if they wish, or they could ride all the way to Eglinton station.

It will probably reveal design and capacity issues on the Crosstown (Yonge-Eglinton station, short-turns at Laird instead of Don Mills, lack of grade separation in Scarborough), but it would save us billions in Scarborough.

@WislaHD

The problem is that it's only ever been presented as an either/or option.

Nobody is offering me the choice of McCowan and Eglinton East LRT or subway. They are offering me subway or SLRT. At that point the subway starts looking attractive for a lot of people.

Have to offer both lines (McCowan and Eglinton East) simultaneously to have the sales pitch work.

Yah, interline it with the Crosstown. Two branches means half the frequency after Kennedy (or I guess, Eglinton and Danforth if we go with that suggested alignment), but Scarborough doesn't need <4 minute frequency. People can still transfer at Kennedy to Line 2 if they wish, or they could ride all the way to Eglinton station.

It will probably reveal design and capacity issues on the Crosstown (Yonge-Eglinton station, short-turns at Laird instead of Don Mills, lack of grade separation in Scarborough), but it would save us billions in Scarborough.
Since STC has more demand, it could likely have been 3 branches.
  1. Scarborough-Malvern LRT (follow Eglinton to Morginside, UTSC, to Sheppard
  2. McCowan LRT (follow Eglinton to McCowan to STC and Sheppard and Finch). Note this requires an extra kilometre of grade separation along Eglinton.
  3. SRT (follow the SRT corridor to STC, Centennial, and Malvern).
This idea of interlining was suggested (here, not by anyone of civic prominence) 4 or 5 years ago. There were so many benefits to grade-separating Eglinton from Kennedy to Mount Dennis. We shake our heads at the colossal stupidity of not grade-separating at least to Don Mills, but it is almost as bad that it was not grade-separated from Don Mills to Kennedy as well.

I will take a closer look at the portion from Brentcliffe to Don Mills and figure out a way of fixing it. What is the state of construction there? I will assume that the portal locations near Brentcliffe and Don Mills are fixed, and somehow the portion in between needs to be fully grade-separated. It may not be pretty, but it planners and politicians have gone down the wrong path for 8 years, it must be accepted that it will not be an easy and clean fix.

Last edited:
I will take a closer look at the portion from Brentcliffe to Don Mills and figure out a way of fixing it. What is the state of construction there? I will assume that the portal locations near Brentcliffe and Don Mills are fixed, and somehow the portion in between needs to be fully grade-separated. It may not be pretty, but it planners and politicians have gone down the wrong path for 8 years, it must be accepted that it will not be an easy and clean fix.
Maybe they can raise the Leslie/Eglinton intersection. It might work since the intersection is in a valley. Imagine the current Bayview/Lawrence configuration, but instead with LRT running on Bayview under the Lawrence bridge.

Maybe they can raise the Leslie/Eglinton intersection. It might work since the intersection is in a valley. Imagine the current Bayview/Lawrence configuration, but instead with LRT running on Bayview under the Lawrence bridge.

The solution is obvious and still could be highly achievable:

Have the Crosstown Line emerge out of the Brentcliffe portal as it is constructed now, but instead of routing at-grade, erect pillars and have the guide-way run elevated, cutting over the eastbound lanes of Eglinton to a side-of-roadway platform at the south side of the Leslie intersection (this could also have a pedestrian connection to the Vanderhoof Ave residences). Then east of the station, gradually have the guide-way descend back to ground level to cross the Midtown rail corridor. Then by the Celestica ramps go completely underground to enter Science Centre Stn. Any thoughts on this proposal?

I think to make it over the train tracks is going to be quite a hill to all of a sudden head back underground. Might be wrong but such as incline followed by a drop is going to feel rollercoaster like without the speed of course.

Hopkinss123 proposal, I think, has the line going under the CPC rail (which is on an embankment). I think this I a great solution. I always thought the Celestica ramp could be converted to a Diamond Interchange - how busy are these anyway?. This would allow the LRT to stay at grade a bit longer.

I'd like to see a picture of this proposal from a landscape perspective. I too would prefer grade separation but am skeptical this solution. Looks great from a aerial perspective though. A tunnel was the obvious choice if it didn't come to money

I think portal on the South side was the obvious choice. Although the elevated track is noticeable, it is above the Don Valley where there are no residences (or anything else).

I posted this very crude mock-up years back. With a duplicate of the Celestica interchange, you could access the platforms with a simple crosswalk.
Leslie Celestica loop.png
a few years back. With a duplicate of the Celestica interchange, you could access the station with a simple crosswalk.

Attachments

• Leslie Celestica loop.png
    Leslie Celestica loop.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 406
I think there will come a time when it becomes necessary to have the lines full capacity available to Don Mills, and something will end up being done to remove the intersection at Leslie, maybe it will be easier to sell if it is done as part of building the DRL up to Eglinton and Don Mills.

Back