News   Jul 15, 2024
 287     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 435     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Nice map! Our downtown surface rail network can only improve from here on (as it should). I guess you kinda kept it realistic in relation to the present, but I was surprised that you didn't have Lake Shore East as an "express" route. I know Lake Shore is pretty far south and that waterfront development hasn't reached there yet, but I think it could prove to be a good bypass of the current mixed traffic/local service on Queen East. And naturally it could connect to East Bayfront and offer direct service to Union.

*Although I've went on at length in another thread that I have a bias against the Union-centric 509/510/East Bayfront situation, and would rather cross-waterfront E/W service along QQ or Lake Shore bypassing Union altogether.

As for Roncesvalles, yes it's true that overtaking can't happen at stops, but in between stops the configuration is generally 4 lanes, isn't it? There really isn't another N-S corridor where that kind of service would work. Streetcar-only would work, but then it would need to stop at every stop, eliminating part of the express nature of it all.

Ever since the reconstruction, Roncy is two lanes, period. There are parking lanes but I don't think they're wide enough to use as a bus layby, and even if they were, they're pretty well spoken for as parking spaces. There is simply no possibility of overtaking, so there wouldn't be much point in the express service skipping more than a couple stops. I'm a bit torn on the need for a King express at all, the 504 is much more local in nature, since longer distance trips are all at least partly served by subway.

The lack of express service east of Coxwell I can agree with, although I think east of Woodbine is probably better. I figure it could potentially overlap the Woodbine bus during peak periods.

Coxwell is simply because I sent the local up Kingston starting at Eastern. Not worth providing duplicate service just for the chance of skipping that one local stop between Coxwell and Woodbine.

So here's what I came up with:

Queen%20Express%20Streetcar.jpg

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43869799/Queen Express Streetcar.jpg

The red and orange routes are streetcars, the rest (aside from the subways, obviously) are supplementary bus routes. Rather than attaching unique route numbers, I figured that using the same number as the regular route, but attaching an "L" or an "E" onto the end would be easier for people to understand.

One thing that I really noticed when doing this map was how many streetcar stops there are in between what we would consider to be "major" streets. Cutting them out reduces the number of stops between Point A and Point B pretty substantially.

I'd skip Ellis and South Kingsway. Windermere is easy walking distance of both intersections.

In the Beaches, instead of one stop in-between Woodbine and Neville Park; it would be better to have stops at Wineva and Beech. Otherwise, great map.

In relation to the previously-discussed topics of integrated hubs and development, I thought I’d make a post about a well-situated property between Broadview and GO Richmond Hill. Instead of bombarding this thread with a bunch of old maps, underlined text from the relief study, or Neptis points; this is merely an aerial photo showing what exists on the ground. I did the highlights, so it’s not so much a Fantasy Map per se. Dark red is the Don Branch, pink is the current RH line, and orange is CALC (a TDSB highshool campus that coincidentally was in the news on Thursday as a potential for closure due to low enrolment).

Considering the locale, its auto-centric design, highrise zoning nearby, high property values, its pedestrian bridge/connection to East Riverdale Park, and that Broadview is a multimode hub (bus, streetcar, subway) – I think it could be a great spot for a high-density intermodal integration point with RER. On the development side, I firmly believe that Toronto Lands Corp (a TDSB development corp aimed at “maximizing valueâ€) will be speculating the site soon enough. Whether we’ll ever see Broadview somehow connected to a realigned RH line is another story...

Don-Branch_CALC.png

Attachments

• Don-Branch_CALC.png
    Don-Branch_CALC.png
    797.9 KB · Views: 1,167
In relation to the previously-discussed topics of integrated hubs and development, I thought I’d make a post about a well-situated property between Broadview and GO Richmond Hill. Instead of bombarding this thread with a bunch of old maps, underlined text from the relief study, or Neptis points; this is merely an aerial photo showing what exists on the ground. I did the highlights, so it’s not so much a Fantasy Map per se. Dark red is the Don Branch, pink is the current RH line, and orange is CALC (a TDSB highshool campus that coincidentally was in the news on Thursday as a potential for closure due to low enrolment).

Considering the locale, its auto-centric design, highrise zoning nearby, high property values, its pedestrian bridge/connection to East Riverdale Park, and that Broadview is a multimode hub (bus, streetcar, subway) – I think it could be a great spot for a high-density intermodal integration point with RER. On the development side, I firmly believe that Toronto Lands Corp (a TDSB development corp aimed at “maximizing value”) will be speculating the site soon enough. Whether we’ll ever see Broadview somehow connected to a realigned RH line is another story...

View attachment 41183

Based on this photo, I don't see how Broadview could be integrated with an RER on the Don Branch. Where would you put the RER station? There's no room for platforms beside the red line. You can't easily move the line to the right (West) because of the grading and environmental issues associated with the river. How you connect the RER station to Broadview Station? Elevators on the viaduct? A deep tunnel under the DVP?

It’s approx 250m between Broadview and this line, with about ~15-20m vertical. Obviously this is at the higher end in terms of optimal transfer distance, but I more wanted to gauge opinion. I’ve been down there, and I don’t see why a station couldn’t be slotted in (particularly if the line were to be 2-tracked). Grading, embankments, and re-greening isn't a reason to write off a project - and we’ll be seeing it done with much of our GO lines if we’re ever to achieve double, quadtrack, or RER/SmartTrack stations. And the river is far enough that it’s not an issue.

As for connecting w/ Broadview...off the top of my head I was thinking (from west to east): elevator/escalator from RH platform -> bridge across DVP -> tunnel into the hillside and under TDSB property -> continue tunnel passage with ENE alignment under Danforth to connect below Broadview Stn. Obviously such a plan would involve TDSB or the potential new owners of that property (for subsurface rights, or to have a pedestrian connection built into any development). Moving walkways would be optimal as well.

As for connecting w/ Broadview...off the top of my head I was thinking (from west to east): elevator/escalator from RH platform -> bridge across DVP -> tunnel into the hillside and under TDSB property -> continue tunnel passage with ENE alignment under Danforth to connect below Broadview Stn. Obviously such a plan would involve TDSB or the potential new owners of that property (for subsurface rights, or to have a pedestrian connection built into any development). Moving walkways would be optimal as well.

Or you know, maybe just build the DRL under Pape or Donlands and connect with RH and Lakeshore GO further south.

For those who may be interested, Google has now made Google Earth Pro free (it was previous $399/year). The biggest advantage for map-makers is the ability to export hi-res images instead of the standard res images that the basic Google Earth offers. I'm going to be making myself a new GTHA base composite image, since the one I'm currently using is missing a few areas and is too low res in others.

Or you know, maybe just build the DRL under Pape or Donlands and connect with RH and Lakeshore GO further south.

The most in-depth DRL alignment was from the 80s (where the term “DRL” came from). But interestingly, very few recognize that DRL (or whatever Ataratiri was). Nor do they acknowledge that it had elevated sections through Leslieville, Thorncliffe, and Flemingdon (“rollercoaster”?). There are only a few low-res maps (or graphical representations) from several periods in the last fifty years that show a tunnel through Riverdale or East York. The Pape DRL... it’s basically just an idea at this point. As it’s been for awhile now. And with SmartTrack being prioritized, seemingly less of an idea than it was this time last year.

That 1994 map I shared the other day shows an RH diversion. I get that you think it’s a bad idea to divert RH onto this abandoned line (“rollercoasters” and all). But GO, Metro, many transit enthusiasts, and the gov’t organization that paid for the corridor (Metrolinx) seemingly didn’t and don’t. It’s been acknowledged in the relief studies. And in ‘94 that supposed “nothing there” area of EY had been acknowledged as an “Intermediate Centre” worthy of both RT and commuter service, and a reopening of Leaside Station. Granted that plan was from twenty years ago, but that’s not all that long ago.

1994 Proposal
RH-diversion-EYIC.png

Notice that this plan was concocted after the Network 2011 DRL failed to launch? And after Let’sMove (which also had no DRL)? There’s no tunnel ID’d on Pape. The only transit south of Danforth seems to be a waterfront streetcar line terminating at what later became a subdivision. Twenty years on: no Lake Shore East streetcar line, and our biggest priority in that area seems to be SmartTrack stations cantilevered above Queen and Gerrard (“rollercoaster”?). Even 2007’s MoveOntario2020 had a noticeably absent DRL. But because MO2020 included a Yonge North extension, and that extension can’t be built without a relief line in place - the DRL has become an issue again. Yet “relief line” is still a broad notion at this point and it considers many things. Notice that the study process has been delayed by almost a year? Notice the relief line study area spans from the Don Branch in the west all the way to Coxwell?

ReliefLine_study-area_map.jpg

I’m a diehard traditional DRL supporter, always have been. But I will question whether it will happen. Aside from our original subway from Union to Eglinton, every past subway project in TO came at the expense of a Queen subway. And while we have two lines u/c, one shovel-ready, one shortlisting alignments; and one being studied (SmartTrack) - the DRL has barely gotten through the long-list stage.

The image below is a Metrolinx proposal which got carried forward to a final assessment in its study of Union’s capacity issues (Union 2031). In the end it was rejected, in part due to the problems with tunnelling Lakeshore/Stouffville from its corridor around Pape, as well as tunnel size for a 6-track configuration through downtown. Sidenote: Metrolinx never mentioned the difficulties of getting RH underground at that point around Dundas. From what I know about that area, such a proposal raises a lot of red flags. But still, the plan obviously had a lot of advantages and it did make it far in their study process.

Union-2031_Option-5A-2.jpg

What ended up being shortlisted in Union 2031:
Relief-further-study.jpg

A couple points: I don’t think both is an option. As well, GO Richmond Hill isn’t acknowledged (which wasn’t so much an issue relating to Union’s capacity, but is for the subsequent issue of Yonge relief). Not to mention that RER/SmartTrack has made a lot of headway in recent months.

The DRTES DRL...see the Bayview Station? If what many posters have written over the months concerning the complexity of carving a 150m station box, then this spot is out of the question. Active rail corridor, volatile river, Bayview Ave...How the heck can a station be built there to intercept RH? I’m sure it’s possible, but posters were quite adamant that a sizable area needs to be open to the surface during construction. And according to Metrolinx: “The Richmond Hill GO line does not have sufficient corridor right-of-way to provide new station platforms in the location where the Richmond Hill GO Station interfaces with the proposed DRT. A feasibility review of the proposed Richmond Hill GO Station interfacing with the DRT suggests significant corridor right-of-way constraints as a typical GO station.”

downtown-relief-line-map.jpg

As for the DRTES DRL, Metrolinx has stated that it has disadvantages in regards to its “high risk complexity” and “questionable viability/feasibility given its significant costs, property impacts, construction issues; and issues related to land availability, operations, zoning; and physical and environmental impediments”. And from Neptis:

-“The full line would carry 14,900 in the peak hour, with an 11% increase in overall rapid transit ridership

-“Like the Spadina subway, which was also built as a “relief” line, the DRL would do relatively little to increase all-day transit use or encourage higher-density, transit-oriented development. While some passengers would have faster or less crowded journeys, crowding is only a serious problem in the peaks. So ridership growth seems likely to be small unless the line stimulates more intensive development along its length and not just in the downtown area. This seems unlikely.

Notwithstanding some fairly optimistic assumptions, our analysis indicates that benefits are only about two-thirds of the costs, even for the shortest scheme. Put simply, the scheme in its current form is not worthwhile, costing more than it delivers. However, incremental revenues appear to cover incremental operating costs. This fact could explain why TTC supports the scheme; if the capital cost can be covered, TTC will make a profit on the operations.

The case for the scheme would be further eroded if GO is upgraded. As we have shown, GO relief and express rail services, with interchanges at Danforth/Main, Kennedy, Kipling, and Bloor/Dundas West, can provide similar relief to the subway at a fraction of the cost.

… The DRL seems to us to be a scheme whose time has not yet come, if indeed it ever will.

I support the Pape DRL. But I’m trying to look at this realistically.
1. SmartTrack is a bit of a priority and has taken some of the DRL’s thunder
2. Union’s capacity issues need to be addressed
3. Funds are finite, and as it stands the completed DRL costing many $Billions has less peak projections than another priority project: Yonge North (14,900 vs 18,800). Somehow.
4. Many are itching to get Yonge started, and a near-to-mid term solution for relieving Yonge has been stated as a goal by Metrolinx (this is where the Don Branch may prove important).
5. As much I support a subway on Pape or Donlands, a tunnel there isn’t necessary to meet Metrolinx and TTC’s evaluation criteria for a “Relief” line.

Attachments

• RH-diversion-EYIC.png
    RH-diversion-EYIC.png
    208.7 KB · Views: 772
  • Union-2031_Option-5A-2.jpg
    Union-2031_Option-5A-2.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 809
  • Relief-further-study.jpg
    Relief-further-study.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 795
  • downtown-relief-line-map.jpg
    downtown-relief-line-map.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 844
  • ReliefLine_study-area_map.jpg
    ReliefLine_study-area_map.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 812
Last edited:
As for the DRTES DRL, Metrolinx has stated that it has disadvantages in regards to its “high risk complexity” and “questionable viability/feasibility given its significant costs, property impacts, construction issues; and issues related to land availability, operations, zoning; and physical and environmental impediments”. And from Neptis:

Neptis is kind of a hack job, that you should take with a grain of salt. Basically the entire report is just a shill for bringing back skytrain to Toronto. You should read Steve Munro's review of the Neptis review.

-“Like the Spadina subway, which was also built as a “relief” line, the DRL would do relatively little to increase all-day transit use or encourage higher-density, transit-oriented development. While some passengers would have faster or less crowded journeys, crowding is only a serious problem in the peaks. So ridership growth seems likely to be small unless the line stimulates more intensive development along its length and not just in the downtown area. This seems unlikely.

I would say that the spadina subway's problem with generating TOD is that it is in the middle of a highway.

The DRL is in the densest, most walkable part of Toronto, which is what lends itself to TOD.

It's also missing the point that all that transit usage is capacity constrained, and that you can't create more transit oriented communities in say, Yonge North, if the subway can't fit any more people. The purpose of the DRL is primarily to address capacity issues in line 1/ at Bloor-Yonge station and to provide network redundancy, not just to extend the subway to spur development for property developers.

Because his analysis focuses on spurring development and increasing property values (read: green-field development) and getting new users rather than improving things for existing users (read: weekday park-and-rides), extending lines to Barrie will come out ahead of relief lines to the CBD in his methodology.

I support the Pape DRL. But I’m trying to look at this realistically.
1. SmartTrack is a bit of a priority and has taken some of the DRL’s thunder
2. Union’s capacity issues need to be addressed
3. Funds are finite, and as it stands the completed DRL costing many $Billions has less peak projections than another priority project: Yonge North (14,900 vs 18,800). Somehow.
4. Many are itching to get Yonge started, and a near-to-mid term solution for relieving Yonge has been stated as a goal by Metrolinx (this is where the Don Branch may prove important).
5. As much I support a subway on Pape or Donlands, a tunnel there isn’t necessary to meet Metrolinx and TTC’s evaluation criteria for a “Relief” line.

1. While I support GO RER, I think that should be the province's priority, not the city's. The city shouldn't be paying billions for an express line from Missisauga to Markham.

2. The scaffolding at Union literally came down last week. They haven't even started adding the York concourses. Union capacity will eventually be an issue, but after the billion spent on Union the more urgent issue is Yonge/Bloor.

3. Assuming those projections are correct, how could the Yonge line handle all those extra passengers? It is already at capacity.

I'd also like to point out that, of the Network 2011 proposals, the DRL is the only one whose riderships projections haven't been significantly revised down. In fact, it had its ridership projection revised upwards, because it is based on a demand that existed 30 years ago and still exists now, and is not speculative.

4. As council stated when they approved the Yonge North extension, capacity issues have to be addressed before the extension is started. The DRL is a prerequisite to the Yonge North extension.

The idea of a GO tunnel for inner Toronto travel is a very good one which is what many cities have such as Melbourne and Sydney.

Back