News   May 21, 2024
 109     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 238     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.3K     5 

Transit Fantasy Maps

This is my (slightly) updated map from a couple pages ago, again thanks everyone for the feedback: http://i.imgur.com/4wa61OA.jpg

Changes made include:

• Typography and fonts cleaned up
  • Streetcar system added - (as I've chosen a King alignment for the DRL, the 504 streetcar would be diverted onto a Queen Street ROW alongside the 501, which has also been cut due to the routing of the Waterfront-Hurontario LRT)
  • Extension of the Union-Pearson Link to serve Pickering Airport, also served by 407-Transitway and Brock Rd. LRT
  • Map legend added

Despite it being half a year since I've updated this map from the previous version, I plan on refreshing it periodically based on suggestions as it gives me something to do in my spare time (I am also far from an expert on transit planning; I'm just an ordinary high school student with an interest in the subject) so I appreciate it if anyone has advice on a) Making it more realistic; or b) Anything, really (aesthetics, line routing, etc.)

I'd re add the Kingston road streetcar somehow, people wouldn't be happy with its removal. Also, Metrolinx plans show for the eventual development of a BRT lane on green lane in new market from yonge street to the GO station, so that could be added.

Very nice map. But here's one thing I'd do with unlimited money: that line between Downtown Brampton and Cooksville via the Orangeville-Brampton Railway should go north to Mayfield Road or to King Street in Caledon, and then on the other side, go east from Cooksville and take the Canpa sub to feed into the Lakeshore Line. Boom - you have a direct train route from Brampton and central Mississauga to the CNE, Ontario Place, and TFC games.

Oh, and even if there was unlimited money, I'd still oppose a Pickering airport.

Last edited:
If there was unlimited money, I'd want a rapid transit line in every single possible corridor in every neighbourhood to every corner of the GTA.

If there was unlimited money, I'd want a rapid transit line in every single possible corridor in every neighbourhood to every corner of the GTA.

If there was unlimited money I would convert all elevators into rapid transit vehicles and connect them directly to a fully dedicated surface level system. You board on your floor in your building, state your destination, and you arrive at the right floor of the right destination building.

Private vehicles were all moved underground for weather protection and I want to look out the elevator-train window at the massive street-side gardens (think Bloor but better) that we planted in all elevator-train transit and pedestrian corridors.

Also, the elevator-train on Bay Street runs through a several kilometer long reef aquarium.

Last edited:
I've been thinking of a possible route for a small extension of the Bloor-Danforth line to Sherway gardens, and came up with this:

sherwayextension_zpsf0114cb3.jpg

It would have 2 stations, Highway 427, and Sherway. (shown by the black boxes) The Highway 427 stop would act as the new terminus of the Mississauga transitway, as well as all the Dundas buses. I have provided a bus only offramp from the highway for this, marked in red. It would also contain a large commuter parking lot marked in grey. As for the sherway stop, it would be very similar to the current Don Mills stop on the Sheppard Line.

Costs would be fairly low, considering only 750m of this extension would be built using a tunnel bore. Of the 3.5km extension, it would require 2 widened rail bridges, 1 widened rail underpass under the 427, and a underpass for the Subway trains to duck below the current rail tracks. I'm guessing that we are looking at around $700 million for the entire extension.

I would also recommend that the extension is brought to Dundas and Hurontario, but that would make the extension 9.5km long, and costing more than the Spadina extension, which is something I don't want to do. that part of the extension can be put off to a later date, while this can be done now to provide some great benefits to the network, as well as unlocking the development potential of the sherway gardens parking lots.

Last edited:
I've been thinking of a possible route for a small extension of the Bloor-Danforth line to Sherway gardens, and came up with this:

sherwayextension_zpsf0114cb3.jpg

It would have 2 stations, Highway 427, and Sherway. (shown by the black boxes) The Highway 427 stop would act as the new terminus of the Mississauga transitway, as well as all the Dundas buses. I have provided a bus only offramp from the highway for this, marked in red. It would also contain a large commuter parking lot marked in grey. As for the sherway stop, it would be very similar to the current Don Mills stop on the Sheppard Line.

Costs would be fairly low, considering only 750m of this extension would be built using a tunnel bore. Of the 3.5km extension, it would require 2 widened rail bridges, 1 widened rail underpass under the 427, and a underpass for the Subway trains to duck below the current rail tracks. I'm guessing that we are looking at around $700 million for the entire extension.

I would also recommend that the extension is brought to Dundas and Hurontario, but that would make the extension 9.5km long, and costing more than the Spadina extension, which is something I don't want to do. that part of the extension can be put off to a later date, while this can be done now to provide some great benefits to the network, as well as unlocking the development potential of the sherway gardens parking lots.

I think everyone can agree that having the terminus station for the Mississauga Transitway and the Dundas BRT at Kipling is a ridiculous idea. I personally prefer the Honeydale Mall location (diagonally opposite Cloverdale Mall) just on the East side of 427, but this could work too.

In your map, it is easy for the buses to get off from 427, but there would be some effort to re-enter the 427 northbound. Maybe even Dundas BRT buses could "hop" onto 427 to use this new off ramp. Using Honeydale, it would be the other way around - harder off, easier on. It would also be much less expensive to only extend the line less than 2 km to Honeydale, which could be done entirely at grade. an extension to Sherway, with the required tunnelling, would be left for a later extension.

Last edited:
An RT frmo Long Branch to at least the airport would be better.

I disagree. Having your proposed Rapid Transit line either divert to Kipling to access the last B-D stop, or skip the B-D altogether, would not be as useful as having the the last B-D stop placed closer to highway 427 to serve the Mississauga Transitway and the Dundas BRT. If you would say that an RT from Long Branch to YYZ could also be added - i would agree with that. At first glance, I would think this RT would be a BRT (Lite?) along Browns Line and 427, with stops at B-D (Honeydale), Eglinton (Commerce Blvd), YYZ and maybe Woodbine (either a new GO stop and/or the Racetrack) and Humber College.

Back