News   Jun 25, 2024
 393     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 395     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 2.3K     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Here's a quick preview of something I'm working on for Spacing's creative mapping contest:

2vsqaz8.jpg

2ufy7pl.jpg

The final version will be a realistic/fantasy map of the proposed LRT and express bus system in the Region of Waterloo showing connections between both and the intercity bus and train system. The final version will be a composite of both images including similar captions and labels to a fold-out map using standard angles.

That's a thought-provoking map that CN posted. I really wonder whether we made a mistake in running the line up University Avenue rather than Spadina. Though the latter would have meant more walking distance from office buildings near Yonge, it would have also allowed for a less scrunched downtown. An interesting question, and I think there are arguments both for and against.

Love the Kitchener map, dunkalunk. That's a great looking map!

Doady's map is also very impressive. One question: why do the A and X lines not connect?

Does anyone have or know where I can get a scale system map of the subway?

Thanks in advance.
I am still looking for a scale subway system map.
Would you like to see how much we have lost?
Visit www.cermc.webs.com
Scroll down to the bottom of the home page to find the link for the map file. It works in Google Earth or anything that runs .kml/.kmz. In Toronto, click on lines, intersection details, stop markers, building markers etcetera for historic images. Amber coloured markings indicate historic lines, yellow markings are tracks in service.

Here's a quick preview of something I'm working on for Spacing's creative mapping contest:

2vsqaz8.jpg

2ufy7pl.jpg

The final version will be a realistic/fantasy map of the proposed LRT and express bus system in the Region of Waterloo showing connections between both and the intercity bus and train system. The final version will be a composite of both images including similar captions and labels to a fold-out map using standard angles.

I think you spelled Yonge wrong on the map. Its "Yonge", not "Young"

Yes, please check your facts before telling other people to check their facts. Its embarrassing. :)

LOL. In my defence I am going to say that Kitchener deliberately spelled it Young for the sole purpose of confusing and embarrassing ignorant Torontonians.

Btw: Nice map Dunkalunk

Last edited:
I was about to say the same thing.

Using Caledonia as a reference point I was actually talking about the rail corridor which you can see just to the left of Caledonia on google maps below.

This is the same corridor that defines the east edge of the Junction Triangle, and passes over queen on the bridge beside the Gladstone Hotel. I'm actually not sure what it's used for. It doesn't seem to be part of the GO network, and I don't think they'll run the airport rail link on it either. Railpath runs beside it south of Davenport.

I'm suggesting this route because Dufferin seems implausible for LRT, but it's close to Dufferin without being too close to the University Spadina line.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Saint+Clair+and+caledonia,+toronto&hl=en&ll=43.675306,-79.455459&spn=0.002716,0.004823&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=39.873581,79.013672&hnear=St+Clair+Ave+W+%26+Caledonia+Rd,+Toronto,+Toronto+Division,+Ontario&t=h&z=18

Using Caledonia as a reference point I was actually talking about the rail corridor which you can see just to the left of Caledonia on google maps below.

This is the same corridor that defines the east edge of the Junction Triangle, and passes over queen on the bridge beside the Gladstone Hotel. I'm actually not sure what it's used for. It doesn't seem to be part of the GO network, and I don't think they'll run the airport rail link on it either. Railpath runs beside it south of Davenport.

I'm suggesting this route because Dufferin seems implausible for LRT, but it's close to Dufferin without being too close to the University Spadina line.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Saint+Clair+and+caledonia,+toronto&hl=en&ll=43.675306,-79.455459&spn=0.002716,0.004823&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=39.873581,79.013672&hnear=St+Clair+Ave+W+%26+Caledonia+Rd,+Toronto,+Toronto+Division,+Ontario&t=h&z=18

Im OK with a ROW on dufferin where available and a standard Streetcar lane for the other parts. ALl streetcar but some ROW. ITs not as good as LRT but its way better then the bus. Same rule apply for keele.

Im OK with a ROW on dufferin where available and a standard Streetcar lane for the other parts. ALl streetcar but some ROW. ITs not as good as LRT but its way better then the bus. Same rule apply for keele.

That's the Barrie GO line.

There have been some discussions about the electrification and increased service on GO lines. Some comparisons have been drawn to the S-Bahn in Berlin. To articulate this in visual form, I've decided to make a map that focuses on GO expansion. To be more precise, how I think it should unfold.

GO REX.jpg

There are 3 overlapping services that make up GO REX:

1) Electrified Express Rail: Running from major suburban hub to major suburban hub, through Union. Maximum 15 min service outside of peak, higher frequency during peak.

2) Local Electrified Rail: Runs specifically inside the 416, or to areas immediately outside it. Overlaps the Express Rail within Toronto to provide higher frequencies. Will be especially useful during peak hours, when these lines can basically be used as subway lines.

3) Suburban Peak Rail: Will be non-electrified to begin with, but electrification will be gradually pushed further out (will start out with just the Local service being electrified, pushed out eventually to the Express terminuses). Meant to provide a larger reach into the far-flung suburban areas. These trains do not stop inside the 416, except at Union and a couple other major stations.

Attachments

• GO REX.jpg
    GO REX.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 694
Sounds like a good plan, gweed, and I love that you've made a map to go with it. If you're going with such a great comprehensive plan, I'd definitely include the North Toronto line. Personally, I'd also include a diversion of the Milton line to Mississauga Centre.

Back