News   Jun 20, 2024
 414     1 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 1.5K     6 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 609     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Since the website I was using to host my map got shut down I had to reupload to a new site. Problem is I no longer had the file because I had to reformat my hard drive due to virus and install Windows 7 a few months back, and furthermore a bug related to Windows 7 prevented my Illustrator CS2 from saving files with text (seriously). I finally fixed Illustrator a few days ago so I am to reupload my map again, so here it is - I also made some changes too.

Just thought I'd add the final layer of a proper regional rail service. I've only added the lines and stations that would run through a new downtown tunnel. This imagines a fully electrified network with european EMU's and a large tunnel under inner Toronto. As the system would be fully fare integrated with the TTC, plus much better acceleration, would mean more stations both in the suburbs and the inner city.

This plan involves one tunnel of about 6 miles of tunnel in the centre and 6 underground stations. One option worth considering is a short underground branch up Hurontoronto through MCC with at least three underground stations. This would cover the busiest section of the proposed LRT line.

Overview

toronto-gocrossrailnetwork.jpg

The Southwest. A few extra suburban stations and the MCC branch. Normal GO services would continue further out.

toronto-gocrossrailnetworksouthwest.jpg

The Northwest

toronto-gocrossrailnetworknorthwest.jpg

The North

toronto-gocrossrailnetworknorth.jpg

Eastern Lakeshore.

toronto-gocrossrailnetworkeast.jpg

The centre

toronto-gocrossrailnetworkcentral.jpg

Here you can see the common section where routes combine. There are plenty of interfaces with the Subway and LRT network.

toronto-gocrossrailnetworkinner.jpg

Greater detail of the inner stations

toronto-gocrossrailnetworkcentrewest.jpg

toronto-gocrossrailnetworkcentreeast.jpg

Just Beautiful!

Since the website I was using to host my map got shut down I had to reupload to a new site. Problem is I no longer had the file because I had to reformat my hard drive due to virus and install Windows 7 a few months back, and furthermore a bug related to Windows 7 prevented my Illustrator CS2 from saving files with text (seriously). I finally fixed Illustrator a few days ago so I am to reupload my map again, so here it is - I also made some changes too.

Wow, just wow. One of the best made maps I have ever seen. What program did you use? I used to use Photoshop for mine, but I recently switched to a program called Ortelius. Very simple and easy to read map, well done!

Thanks, CN!

Wow, just wow. One of the best made maps I have ever seen. What program did you use? I used to use Photoshop for mine, but I recently switched to a program called Ortelius. Very simple and easy to read map, well done!

Thanks, I just used Illustrator for mine. It's just a general vector editor though, so I would be surprised if Ortelius is better since it is specific for cartography/GIS, though I never heard of it until now (I don't have a Mac).

My hat is off to you, this is an amazing map. Thank you very much!

GO, subway, rapid LRT, local LRT...it could all work so well together

Metrolinx.jpg

This is an update of an old one of mine...I tweaked it with all the Transit City lines, a DLR, and Etobicoke connector and an extended Bloor line.

The Dominion station refers to a deep station south of the Dominion Public building, below the current GO bus station. The GO Report on 2030 ridership suggested a deep-tunnel terminal for the Lakeshore Line, and I'm proposing combining it with the DRL stop, and making a new "second Union" that takes advantage of the beautiful old building as its entrance, and takes some pressure off Union while still being at the heart of the city.

Attachments

• Metrolinx.jpg
    Metrolinx.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 468
View attachment 8568

This is an update of an old one of mine...I tweaked it with all the Transit City lines, a DLR, and Etobicoke connector and an extended Bloor line.

The Dominion station refers to a deep station south of the Dominion Public building, below the current GO bus station. The GO Report on 2030 ridership suggested a deep-tunnel terminal for the Lakeshore Line, and I'm proposing combining it with the DRL stop, and making a new "second Union" that takes advantage of the beautiful old building as its entrance, and takes some pressure off Union while still being at the heart of the city.

Make you map bigger IMO. I like it though. It's realistic

View attachment 8568

It's better than Transit City I'll give it that :)

View attachment 8568

I'm sure it's good, but it's so small I can't even read the text.

My latest and greatest, hopefully it'll turn out on here, if not I'll have to post it on my own webpage.

GTA Transit.jpg

EDIT: It didn't work too well, so here's the link: http://www2.andrew.thejohnsonclan.ca/GTATransit.jpg

Let me know what you think, or if you have any questions, just ask.

Attachments

• GTA Transit.jpg
    GTA Transit.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 481
Last edited:

I am surprised that even with such massive expansion beyond imagination, downtown still didn't get much coverage north of Queen,Still no subway for Chinatown/AGO, Little Italy for example.
And all these lines going through union station don't seem to make complete sense to me. They are more like commuter trains judging by the crazy distance they travel.

Back