News   Jun 20, 2024
 414     1 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 1.5K     6 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 607     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

GO transit and 407 ETR should work together to construct bus lanes to provide direct access between the 407 and western portion of the Mississauga transit way. When I took the GO bus to Bramalea GO from Oakville, the red lights on Erin Mills easily added a solid 10 minutes to the ride.

+WestEnd407MississaugaTransitWay+.png

I decided to spend way too long making an extremely wild and completely unrealistic subway map for some distant time in.... "the future". I took some serious inspiration from how New York's subway is set up, what with all the express trains and branching lines, and I re-numbered everything to keep things a bit more organized (I also just straight-up ripped off how their map is styled, so there's that). If anyone has anything they'd change, let me know! This thing is extremely chaotic, and I definitely wasn't as thorough as I could have been with some of the station locations and names, and the locations of the various branching lines, but this has already taken way too long, so I'm just putting it here to get some eyes on it

Link to high-res image:
Also! This is my first time posting here, so if there's a better way to post high-res images, please let me know - thanks!

I decided to spend way too long making an extremely wild and completely unrealistic subway map for some distant time in.... "the future". I took some serious inspiration from how New York's subway is set up, what with all the express trains and branching lines, and I re-numbered everything to keep things a bit more organized (I also just straight-up ripped off how their map is styled, so there's that). If anyone has anything they'd change, let me know! This thing is extremely chaotic, and I definitely wasn't as thorough as I could have been with some of the station locations and names, and the locations of the various branching lines, but this has already taken way too long, so I'm just putting it here to get some eyes on it

Link to high-res image:
Also! This is my first time posting here, so if there's a better way to post high-res images, please let me know - thanks!

Nice map! Overall great work.

I agree with the route's you've picked for the most part, but what's your vision here? To quad track every line? Can you explain your map in a little bit more detail?

I especially love that you assigned letters or a different naming scheme to the LRT lines. I personally hate the Line 5 & 6 nomenclature for those lines. Didn't bother me as much for (the former) Line 3 because it was fully grade separated.

Thanks! My thinking was to use quad tracking anywhere that 2 different trains (lines? I'll just call them trains) are running next to each other in order to allow for local/express trains. For example, the 9 and 10 trains from the airport out to Scarborough Centre. Otherwise, things are double tracked as normal.

Here are the specifics:
- Quad track from Richmond Hill to Vaughan Centre. The 1 train will run local and continue on double tracks out to Major Mackenzie, while the 2 and 3 trains will run on the express tracks
- Quad track from Windermere to Queen-Kingston. The 4 and 5 trains will use the local tracks, and the 6 train will run on the express tracks, before they all branch out on double tracks
- Quad track from Ellis to Vaughan Centre. The 4 and 11 trains will meet up at Ellis, allowing the 11 train to run on the local tracks, while the 4 train runs express
- Quad track from Long Branch to Scarborough Centre. The 7 train will run on the local tracks, while the 8 train runs on the express tracks, before they each branch off on double tracks
- Quad track from the airport to Scarborough Centre. The 9 train will run on the local tracks before continuing out to UTSC on double tracks, and the 10 train will run on the express tracks

I should mention, I kept the technology between different lines consistent. The Yonge-University line, Bloor-Danforth line, and Sheppard line all use the same train technology, and the A and B trains are still trams. What I'll call the Queen line (anything running under Queen St through downtown) uses the Ontario Line technology, and so does the 11 train, which allows them to meet up and run local/express up to Vaughan. I was actually considering turning the 8 train out towards Mississauga at Sherway Gardens to run with the 6 train, providing local/express service out in that direction, but something about mixing two incompatable train technologies on a single line felt like a bad idea.

I hope this all made sense..... If you want anything else clarified, just let me know!

Back