1.9K     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
I think after this winter and last we have conclusively proved that this technology doesn't belong in this climate. The thing is out of service 2-3 days a week!

It's kind of funny. I've asked this question a bunch of times before but no one seems willing to answer it:

Does anyone know how the JFK Airtrain does in the winter?

I have not heard about it being any more or less reliable than any other rail service.

If it seems to work in the winter then I don't see how the climate argument holds water (snow?).

Does anyone know how the JFK Airtrain does in the winter?
Good question - but it's no way near as extreme conditions as Toronto. Our Jan/Feb average low is about -9, -10, with the average high about -1, -2. Their average low is about -2, -3 and their average high 4, 6. I'm sure they have days of poor conditions, but far fewer of them.

The Detroit peoplemover would be a better comparison - though even there the daily averages in Jan/Feb are above freezing - but a lot closer to ours.

Anyone heard how often that is down?

New York's winters are usually considered not to be has harsh as Toronto's.

That said, they do still get a fair amount of snow so I wonder if it can be explained by newer technology with the induction rail on AirTrain.

why wouldn't LRT be jsut as bad in the winter as skytrain technology?, i mean it looks like LRT would be easier for snow to cover it completely whereas skytrain is much more elevated (the rails portion i mean).

why wouldn't LRT be jsut as bad in the winter as skytrain technology?, i mean it looks like LRT would be easier for snow to cover it completely whereas skytrain is much more elevated (the rails portion i mean).
The Scarborough Skytrain has been closed about 5 times in the last 2 weeks for several hours; I haven't heard of any of the LRTs in Toronto being closed during that time. Not sure the reason, but probably related to how it gets the electricity from the ground, rather than overhead.

The Scarborough Skytrain has been closed about 5 times in the last 2 weeks for several hours; I haven't heard of any of the LRTs in Toronto being closed during that time. Not sure the reason, but probably related to how it gets the electricity from the ground, rather than overhead.

Yea, even riding on the subway during a snow storm, you can occasionally see some pretty intense sparks coming off of the 3rd rails. I imagine this is even worse on the SRT given that there is a giant electro magnet running the length of the track.

New York's winters are usually considered not to be has harsh as Toronto's.

That said, they do still get a fair amount of snow so I wonder if it can be explained by newer technology with the induction rail on AirTrain.

Moscow is more down our alley. They have a monorail system that has operated for the past 5 years with very few problems.

London only got 6 to 10 cm of snow today, and every tube line except the Victoria line is partially or completely suspended - including the bizarre notice that "WATERLOO & CITY LINE: Suspended due to adverse weather conditions." I don't think there is one-inch of that very short line that is above ground. Buses are completely suspended, as are streetcars. Except for the SRT, TTC doesn't do that badly.

London only got 6 to 10 cm of snow today, and every tube line except the Victoria line is partially or completely suspended - including the bizarre notice that "WATERLOO & CITY LINE: Suspended due to adverse weather conditions." I don't think there is one-inch of that very short line that is above ground. Buses are completely suspended, as are streetcars. Except for the SRT, TTC doesn't do that badly.

More like 10-15cm
Yeah but they dont usually get this kind of weather,the last time that something like this happened in London was in 1991.I believe this is more of people and drivers panicking due to not being used to these conditions,than the actual transit equipment not functioning properly.

And 650 flights have been cancelled at Heathrow. Ah, the English...

More like 10-15cm
The article I looked at - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7864315.stm - says "By mid-morning, up to 10cm (4in) of snow had fallen in parts of Greater London, with 6cm (2in) of snow reported at Heathrow Airport. " - it was mid-morning in London when I posted this at about 5:30 AM. It also says that "London has seen the heaviest snowfall in 18 years, weather experts said, with an accumulation of 20cm (8in) in some areas" ... so I assume that means that either the year to date or the total snow on the ground has been 20 cm, with 10 cm in the latest storm. Article isn't really that clear.

Back