1.1K     1 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
Honest question - would it make sense ending the YUS at Downsview, extending the sheppard line westward from yonge and continuing that line north-west to VCC via the currently under construction extension... thereby making the stubway an actual E/W line and providing more capacity on YUS line? Is that crazy? Feel free to call me crazy. This would also create a decent connection for the FINCH LRT for Yonge riders... while more effectively moving traffic in the North of the city.
An interline might have worked. Truncating at Downsview and continuing to force transfers to York U would not.

Glad to see King transit corridor on 6 year map, but shouldn't they be able to do Crosstown east & west extensions as well within the 6 year timeframe considering EAs are mostly done and it's a surface extension?
We'll have to wait for the June council meeting to approve it first.

Glad to see King transit corridor on 6 year map, but shouldn't they be able to do Crosstown east & west extensions as well within the 6 year timeframe considering EAs are mostly done and it's a surface extension?
There's still some question marks around both - where will UTSC cars be stored for instance. Also, there's the issue of finding the money in that timeframe.

Theoretically yes, but I'd imagine there's still details to be worked out there. It's probably politically easier to bump something forward than it is to bump something back.

I love that both the Highway 7 BRT and the Scarborough-Durham BRT (the grey that goes east from Scarborough Centre) are both included. Interesting.

Though maybe the former should be more prominent in the 6 year plan since Highway 7 BRT is supposed to be finished to Unionville to Helen by 2019-2020.

The central section is only going to be complete in 2021~22, which is already at the end of the 6 year window. You're proposing, basically, that they open both the east and west extensions on day 1 along with the central section.
While theoretically possible, (KW's ION is going from preliminary design all the way to opening in 6 years, 2011 to 2017,) I don't blame them for giving a little more breathing room in the schedule. But it would certainly be nice to see them gearing up to build the extensions as the central section is being finished.

From the fabled MTARTS, lost in the mists of time, through Transit City, Let's Move, RoFo's cocktail napkin with subways along Finch and Shepard, Tory's classier cocktail napkin with Smart Track, to today's wonderfully comprehensive PowerPoint with many proposed transit lines, it's clear that no city on the planet produces more or better transit plans than Toronto. Well done, Planning Department!

The central section is only going to be complete in 2021~22, which is already at the end of the 6 year window. You're proposing, basically, that they open both the east and west extensions on day 1 along with the central section.
While theoretically possible, (KW's ION is going from preliminary design all the way to opening in 6 years, 2011 to 2017,) I don't blame them for giving a little more breathing room in the schedule. But it would certainly be nice to see them gearing up to build the extensions as the central section is being finished.
What I have just been told is that the Finch end is supposed to be built by 2022 (though the RFP has not been issued yet) but the other end will not be started until the Finch end is finished. Can anyone suggest why this might be? I have asked but not yet received a response...

Politics - some Scarborough councillors and Scarborough members of the provincial Liberal caucus want Sheppard LRT cancelled.

FYI City of Toronto confirms the maps from the Star and Globe are essentially accurate and should be available later today at toronto.ca/transitto. I'll write up a short story for this site in the next few hours, summarising the new developments based on my understanding of the situation. Any additional facts/leaks/ etc would be gratefully received as I aim to dig deeper into the many ramifications of this in the next few weeks. You can drop me a line at david@davidbrake.org...

Back