301     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
Vast swaths of BD, YUS, SRT remain relatively unchanged and unaffected by subway expansion. Whatever change there is occurs at such a gradual pace the community hardly flinches when it does.

Yes Dentrobate, but there's been a sea change in recent years where we don't build subways to places where we don't want redevelopment. Queen East and West are among those places.

DRL should be run like the BD line, with stations every 450-700m. A compromise line I suppose would be running it along Queen Street between Dufferin and Broadview, however what I was considering was keeping the waterfront section in addition to Queen/King (possibly Dundas) in a continuous loop that wouldn't leave the downtown core. Feeder BRT lines along Dundas/Jane and Broadview/Overlea/Don Mills in effect save $$ for not having to build either Transit City nor DRL along those corridors, with relatively the same level of service as high-order rapid transit vehicles and dedicated rights-of-way.

I did research East Bayfront and West Don Lands and I'd implement far better service than what's detailed in Network 2011. Specifically for the central waterfront stops would exist at:

Shaw/King- King West Village

Strachan/Lakeshore (note I avoid traditional conceptions of where an Exhibition stop should go, since this is the best access both for the Main Entrance-Prince's Gate and East Entrance of Ontario Place [alot of Exhibition riders would likely also want OP]),

Fort York (between Queens Quay and Front). This is done specifically for new condo community, Metronome (uc) and future rapid service to the Toronto Islands. In absence of a land bridge, an underground monorail could run between this stn. and the airport.

Spadina unlikely will get its own stop, but John certainly will. This is the most viable of all waterfront stops with Skydome, CN Tower, Convention Centre and within walking distance of Metro Hall, Roy Thompson, Royal Alexandra, Princess of Wales, CBC.

Union/CBD

St Lawrence Market

King East- for Geogre Brown College, Design Strip, Toronto Star

Distillery- bordered by Trinity, Mill, Front and Cherry

Commissioners/Don Roadway-Port of Toronto, Rochester Ferry

Studio District-Carlaw/Lakeshore vincinity

Leslieville-Leslie/Lakeshore

Queen East/Coxwell-gateway for Toronto Beaches area, Kingston tripper.

Okay, I'm still really suggesting that you read up a little bit more on the city. Maybe even on this forum you could get out of the Transportation Issues thread and learn about some of the places for which you're trying to plan transit.

You've clearly got a slightly out-of-date MapArt map that you're using to plan your routes there, so you should know that Metronome fell through and the Rochester Ferry hasn't operated for years.

Other than the bizarre (and physically impossible) zig-zagging, virtually all of these stops are already included in the Downtown Relief Line plan.

The DRL Exhibition stop would be at Dufferin, serving both the Ex itself (a relatively minor destination for most of the year) and the busy Dufferin bus. If it takes the rail corridor route up to Dundas West (instead of continuing along the other rail corridor to Roncesvalles) it would run briefly underground up Dufferin to another stop in the heart of West Queen West. While I used to be a fierce Roncesvalles route partisan, some people ave made me come around to see the potential of the Dufferin/Rail corridor route.

Fort York would be at Bathurst and the rail corridor to connect with the streetcar route and be relatively close to the new condos in the area.

You've got to be kidding that you wouldn't put a stop at Spadina. That was the terminus station in the original DRL plan, and it's the junction point with the busiest surface route per mile in the entire system. Here's another thing you've got to keep in mind when planning transit routes: you want to have stations that allow for convenient transfers with other routes, including surface lines. That's why you build an Ex stop at Dufferin, with a major bus route, rather than Strachan and Lakeshore (aside from the obvious problems with diverting from the established corridor) which has no surface routes at all.

John and Union were both included in the original DRL plan. There's a case to be made for a stop at Church, and I obviously haven't done a detailed enough study of it to really determine whether it would be worthwile. There's a fair bit of development in that area, but there's no connection south to the East Bayfront and there's no connecting surface route, so it would be a somewhat marginal stop that would add to travel time. Your King East stop is an unnecessary diversion from an established and econcomical corridor along the railway routes. It would add hundreds of millions in cost for virtually no additional riders. The DRL plan included a stop at Sherbourne. I'd site it between Sherbourne and Jarvis with a walkway to both streets. If people from King want the subway, they can walk down a couple blocks. If they don't, the streetcar's still there. Jarvis/Sherbourne along the rail corridor would also serve the heart of the East Bayfront development area. Oh, and it's the Toronto Sun up there; the Star's at One Yonge.

I'm not sure what you mean by the streets you have bounding the "Distillery" station, but that's a much bigger area than a subway station. I assume you want it to be underground, even though there's vacant surface land a hundred feet away in the rail corridor. Any DRL-type route would have a stop at Cherry and the rail corridor, conveniently serving the West Don Lands, Distillery, and providing easy connections to the Cherry streetcar for the portlands.

There's something to be said for routing it along Lakshore instead of Eastern, as I mentioned before, depending on how much development is going on in the Filmport/McCleary Park area. There'd be a stop right around Filmport. Northbound there'd be a stop at Queen (for the streetcar) and Gerrard (for the streetcar and potentially-redeveloped mall) before getting up to Pape.

Light rail is a much better solution for serving the area east of Riverdale. There's usually not that much congestion on Queen east of there, so a reliably-managed streetcar route connecting with the DRL could provide a very competitive trip downtown, pulling people off the crowded BD and YUS lines.

See if DRL is done, alot of those stops would not be possible. My idea from there would be to complete the loop via 'old' downtown arteries, mirroring Queen proposals but not exactly replicating it.

So if the DRL, an actual serious, engineered transit route proposal is built, it won't be possible to have a parallel route that doubles travel times with unnecessary (and impossible) zig-zagging? You know, people can walk. A route doesn't have to slavishly follow one road: routes like the Spadina subway or the Sheppard extension to STC show that. But you can't run a line with diversions to the north, then sharp u-turns back south, then another u-turn back north. Not only is it uneconomic, it's physically impossible.

You talk about a loop line around downtown. Here you're once again falling into the trap of plunking down stations where you like them without figuring out where people are actually trying to go. Nobody wants to ride in a loop around downtown. The point of a subway line isn't a mass of stations. It's getting people from place to place. Sometimes stations won't be in the absolute ideal place, but that's just the way it goes.

As for Oriole/Leslie-Sheppard, this reminds of another thread where either Cooksville or Erindale would be relocated for the sake of getting a direct MCC station on the Milton line. Given how infrequent GO runs in that corridor, a shuttle service could easily be timed to meet trains and take riders to the subway.

Sigh...I really don't think you read any responses people make to your posts, so I'm obviously wasting my time. As many other forumers have also said, you would clearly not go through the trouble of diverting the line up to MCC unless you were operating a frequent, S-Bahn style service (every 20 minutes or better).

^ I think I get it now. I didn't consider all the neighbourhoods that'd be affected by this, only the long-term transit benefits. Chalk it up to bull-headedness I suppose :eek:. Shaw and Sherbourne were included to show here the line could divert up towards Queen St and run east-west (back before I considered a loop line). You're the experts here, so you've convinced me DRL could work, my only concern was that the 'old' downwtown would still be streetcar dependent.

The Shaw/Sherboune run-ups explain why I chose Strachan over Exhibition GO or Dufferin Gates for the Ex stop. Spadina was a ?-mark because my John stop would span Peter-John, just to the east so it'd be redundant. St Lawrence Market works fine in the parameters Church, Front, Jarvis, Esplanade. Like Distillery, I'm not saying one station will incorporate the entire block, just a general idea of its location. As for Eastern, again it would have looped back onto Queen so that would've been awfully close. Come to think of it, DRL is starting to make more sense through Pape also. Curses MapArt you've made me come across as a total idiot, from here on out I'm a Google Earth person ;)!

Look up Park Place... but that's been pretty quiet for awhile.
Ah, there's a brief mention of that new underpass in that thread - but not much discussion. Given the apparent width of the road, and the amount of traffic it will cary, I'm surprised there isn't more information around. Particularly how it will effect potential walkways between Oriole and Leslie. I know GO probably doesn't want to lose the utility of the parking lot under the 401 - but even if they simply moved the platform, so it starts on the north edge of the 401, stretching north, instead of the south edge, stretching south, they could end up with a station that's just a short 200-metre walk from Leslie station, instead of the current 1-kilometre hike, and still keep their parking lot. Yet from the GO site, it looks as though they are simply renovating the current facility - though perhaps that is understated, and this is what GO is now doing. Still, that it's taken 5-years to get this far is unfortunate.

^ I think I get it now. I didn't consider all the neighbourhoods that'd be affected by this, only the long-term transit benefits. Chalk it up to bull-headedness I suppose :eek:. Shaw and Sherbourne were included to show here the line could divert up towards Queen St and run east-west (back before I considered a loop line). You're the experts here, so you've convinced me DRL could work, my only concern was that the 'old' downwtown would still be streetcar dependent.

The Shaw/Sherboune run-ups explain why I chose Strachan over Exhibition GO or Dufferin Gates for the Ex stop. Spadina was a ?-mark because my John stop would span Peter-John, just to the east so it'd be redundant. St Lawrence Market works fine in the parameters Church, Front, Jarvis, Esplanade. Like Distillery, I'm not saying one station will incorporate the entire block, just a general idea of its location. As for Eastern, again it would have looped back onto Queen so that would've been awfully close. Come to think of it, DRL is starting to make more sense through Pape also. Curses MapArt you've made me come across as a total idiot, from here on out I'm a Google Earth person ;)!

Haha. Not at all. MapArt makes damned fine maps. We're not experts, just people who've thought about these things for a very long time and have pored over far, far more reports than any sane person ever would.

I agree that downtown would remain streetcar dependent for local trips if you simply added a DRL. I would take far more than one subway likely costing ~$2 billion to do that. More like three or for all-tunneled subways costing $10 billion or more. And would it really be worth it? Downtown Toronto doesn't have the population density of New York (or Paris, for that matter), and unlike those cities, most of our downtown core is small enough to cover on foot. A more reliably-run streetcar service, perhaps with the private ROW approach I suggested for King and Queen, should be more than enough to serve the area. Oh, in case you forgot my suggested approach is taking two lanes of King and Queen and turning them into a private streetcar right-of-way, while retaining the other two lanes as a one-way pair. Two lanes of traffic at rush hour with parking restrictions, and one parking lane and one traffic lane at other times. It would be far, far less controversial than the TTC's plan to effectively totally shut down King Street to traffic. It's a win-win for everybody, in many ways, since one-way streets are also better for cars and on-street parking is maintained.

When you're locating stations, I think there is one major issue you've got to keep in mind: connections with surface routes is all-important. A street like Spadina would always get a stop, even if it's close to some other stop, because it's a connection with a major surface route. Same with a stop at Dufferin for the Exhibition as it connects with GO, the busiest bus route in the city, and the streetcar loop. The original DRL plans showed a stop on the east side of John, called "Convention Centre" though the name's hardly important. It would serve the surrounding business area, the CN Tower, the SkyDome, as well as its namesake.

I think I'd at least rough in a station along Eastern just before the line turns north to meet Pape. The city could then sell off its works yard for a fortune and probably virtually pay for the stop.

Back to Transit City, I really like the general idea of the Avenues plan. It's obviously an attempt to bring a kind of Haussmann planning. I'd love to see the city take at least one or two of the avenues (ideally something a little closer to downtown) and attempt real Haussmann-style regulation. Uniform building heights, regulated materials, regulated uses at the base, etc. for all new construction in the hopes that over time it would grow into a cohesive whole. If it actually worked, it could be quite spectacular.

From the Globe:

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
Politics driving transit plans, expert says
JEFF GRAY

January 29, 2008

Multibillion-dollar plans for public-transit projects in the Toronto area are being driven more by political considerations than actual needs, a respected transportation expert says.

In a report to be released today, veteran transportation consultant Richard Soberman also suggests some new projects, including converting the Sheppard subway into a light-rail line and expanding it above ground.

Dr. Soberman, a former chairman of civil engineering at the University of Toronto, writes in the report, which was commissioned by a construction-industry lobby group, that recent plans from both the province and the City of Toronto for new subways and light-rail lines "are examples of top-down planning where elected officials dictate what their professional advisers will implement, a reversal of the usual approach."

Premier Dalton McGuinty pledged at least $11.5-billion (or up to $17.5-billion if the federal government participates) for a list of 52 projects - called MoveOntario 2020 - in a campaign-style event at a Mississauga bus garage last June, before the fall election.

Dr. Soberman writes that the list "appears to have been hurriedly assembled with little assessment of need or cost effectiveness" and is "essentially an amalgam of politically driven wish lists."

He warns that the plan's promised new GO Transit lines, meant to cross the city from Weston Road to Agincourt, may be more expensive and more difficult to build than expected, because of the huge volume of Canadian Pacific Railway freight traffic using the existing tracks.

Jim Bradley, Ontario's Transportation Minister, said he disagreed that the province's plans were driven largely by politics. He said the projects were developed by municipal planners, who know best what their communities' needs are.

"A lot of thought has gone into them," Mr. Bradley said in an interview yesterday.

Dr. Soberman's report also asks why Mayor David Miller's $6-billion Transit City plan to spread 120 kilometres of dedicated light-rail lanes across Toronto's suburbs precludes discussion of using buses instead. And he warns that on several of the proposed routes, taking lanes away from cars to make way for light-rail tracks may be difficult or unpopular, or unnecessary because of low population density.

His report suggests changing the current plan for a light-rail line to connect to the Sheppard subway from the east.

Instead, Dr. Soberman says, the Toronto Transit Commission should retrofit the existing subway tunnel to handle light-rail cars - which could easily handle the underperforming line's 44,000 riders a day - and expand the line from eastern Scarborough all the way to Downsview subway station, so passengers would not have to change vehicles along the east-west route.

TTC chairman Adam Giambrone - who threatened to mothball Sheppard during last year's budget crunch - said yesterday that converting it into a light-rail line was not on the TTC's radar. He also said that the new Transit City lines had all been vetted by TTC planners.

The report was commissioned by the Residential and Civil Construction Alliance of Ontario, a coalition of management and labour groups that lobbies for infrastructure investment. It is to be submitted to Metrolinx, the regional body now drawing up a GTA transportation master plan.

The someone who consistently supported the SRT would hardly be talking about politics and planning.

AoD

Dr. Soberman's report also asks why Mayor David Miller's $6-billion Transit City plan to spread 120 kilometres of dedicated light-rail lanes across Toronto's suburbs precludes discussion of using buses instead. And he warns that on several of the proposed routes, taking lanes away from cars to make way for light-rail tracks may be difficult or unpopular, or unnecessary because of low population density.

His report suggests changing the current plan for a light-rail line to connect to the Sheppard subway from the east.

Instead, Dr. Soberman says, the Toronto Transit Commission should retrofit the existing subway tunnel to handle light-rail cars - which could easily handle the underperforming line's 44,000 riders a day - and expand the line from eastern Scarborough all the way to Downsview subway station, so passengers would not have to change vehicles along the east-west route.
A few people on here have suggested that too, no? Makes sense to me. I hope this report is taken seriously and a full review of these projects is in the works. It's too much money to blindly follow a young Politician and a Transit enthusiast.

In a world where politicians have the power to make decisions, are we really surprised that politics are guiding the proposals? If we put planners in charge (which I think is a great idea), then everyone would be complaining that unelected individuals are running the show. Sadly, its a no win situation.

Taking space away from cars is a choice that I think is in the best interest of the GTA. Not only is it inexpensive compared to tunneling, but it makes a bold political statement about what we value in society. I like to believe that we value sustainable transit and beautiful streetscapes over cars and pavement.

As for Sheppard, Whatever the Sheppard Line ends up being is what technology should be used for the entire run.

If it continues as a subway, it could run between Downsview and Scarborough Centre.

If it continues as a Light Rail Line, it could run from Weston Road to Pickering GO Station, with a branch to Rouge Hill GO and a second branch to UTC via Scarborough Centre, probably for the same cost.

I'd prefer light rail, personally.

Jim Bradley, Ontario's Transportation Minister, said he disagreed that the province's plans were driven largely by politics. He said the projects were developed by municipal planners, who know best what their communities' needs are.
But do they know the region's needs? Were they not influenced by their local politicians?

A few people on here have suggested that too, no? Makes sense to me. I hope this report is taken seriously and a full review of these projects is in the works. It's too much money to blindly follow a young Politician and a Transit enthusiast.

I'm not sure why this is so hard to do myself. It's such an obvious choice. LRT is more than enough capacity and it provides a transfer-free experience. I just don't believe that lowering platforms down or raising them (depending on the station) is really so impossible or costly!

I'm not sure why this is so hard to do myself. It's such an obvious choice. LRT is more than enough capacity and it provides a transfer-free experience. I just don't believe that lowering platforms down or raising them (depending on the station) is really so impossible or costly!

why not raise the trackbed around the station?

Operational issues aside, can you imagine the political and/or media fallout from retrofitting a subway for LRT? Various columnists would have a field day commenting on how it can only happen in Toronto, etc. It'd be a public relations disaster.

AoD

Pride is not, in my opinion, a valid reason for transfer city

Back