601     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
That operates similar to Calgary's C-trains than the proposed Transit City. The crossing barrier suggests the LRT gets absolute priority (as in normal rail lines).

Not to mention, most people would agree that Calgary's LRT is more like HRT, just like how when the SRT is completed as LRT, most people would consider it HRT as opposed to LRT. The key distinction is full grade separation. If anything, Calgary's LRT is like a regular train when it crosses streets (i.e. safety bars come down ahead of the train to stop traffic).

Incidentally, our old subway cars were sold to Lagos to build an LRT system.

And I have no clue how Lagos plans to build an LRT system out of subway cars. Maybe they're planning to do an Allen Expressway style system but that wouldn't be an LRT.[/QUOTE]

Or your definition of LRT isn't the same as the rest of the world uses.

I still fail to see the difference between LRT and streetcars, except LRT having ROW.
To me, at least TC is more similar to streetcars than to real rapid transit such as subway or Vancouver's skytrain (don't know how to call that).

Can someone care to explain?

It is like the difference between a local bus and BRT. LRT, when done properly, stops less frequently on top of having its own lane. Not a perfect example (still gets plenty of reds), but compare the York University Rocket to the local bus routes along its path.

It is like the difference between a local bus and BRT. LRT, when done properly, stops less frequently on top of having its own lane. Not a perfect example (still gets plenty of reds), but compare the York University Rocket to the local bus routes along its path.

perfect example, thank you.

Again, St. Clair has signal priority installed. The system gives the streetcars priority, it does not guarantee a green light. It is questionable whether a "guaranteed green light" solution would be possible without major disruptions to auto traffic.

OK kids, this conversation is getting out of hand in terms of technology so let's set the record straight so we cann progress with the converrsation about TC itself.

LRT and streetcars/trams are EXACTLY the same. They both use the same propulsion, overhead power supply, speed levels, acceleration/decelaration, both are low-floor meaning they are completely accessible to the disabled, both can control signal priority, and both have the same interior/exterior amenities. There may be a very small difference in width but not anything anyone will notice as both have to be able to fit down a lane of traffic.
There are only two differences............LRT cars can be coupled together to increase capacity {conversely this ussually means streetcars have better turning radiuses but TC are basically straight line routes so it is not a concern} and LRT trains can be operated, unlike streetcars, from both ends of the train while streetcars cannot and hence require a roundabout or turn around area.
Those are the ONLY two differences between the two. Therefore the downtown legacy routes are clearly streetcars and the TC routes are clearly Light Rail. Let's not have an ongoing discussion about the two, when reffering to TC they are clearly LRT vehicles so lets not call them streetcars as they are not.
The issue here is NOT the technology but rather it's execution. TC lines having to make stops every 2 to 3 blocks means that is enhanced local service. Yes, they can control lights but the reality is that they will not cruise thru all the lights as if one train holds the light in one direction a train coming the opposite way arriving 30 seconds later and having to stop to pick up passengers will not be able to. They both potentially have to wait for left hand turns by cars and both would come to a screetching halt if there is an accident at any of the crossing or along the route.
TC is improved local service but comparing it to Charlotte's LRT, Dallas DART, Calgary's CTrain, or Edmonton's LRT is completely disingenuous. Those systems use railway crossings to stop traffic in all directions at all times so the trains continue unihibited while TC does not. Those systems also have spacing levels that are far more akin to subway/Metro, monorail, or SkyTrain for complete grade separated systems.
Comparing TC to those LRT systems I mentioned is more akin to comparing a regular bus route with POP to Ottawa's Transitway. They both are run by the exact same technology but one is executed as true rapid transit while the other is not.
The problem with TC is not the technology choice but rather it's execution. TC is improved local transit but is in no stretch of the imagination rapid and the TTC and City have been flat out lying by saying that it is.

Yes, they work very nicely indeed. I like that.

Except if you look at the last half of the video (the longer ride), the train never had to stop for traffic lights for once (there didn't seem to be any traffic lights) and the spacing is a lot more than 4-500 meters as what is proposed in Toronto.

On Eglinton, if the LRT does have to stop every 500 meters, PLUS stops required by traffic lights, the experience can be quite different, more in line with the streetcars on Dundas and College.

Again you are mistaken. The LRT does not have to stop for traffic lights. But I do think that stop spacing needs to be adjusted

If the St. Clair streetcar is given a guaranteed green light, then that means the cars on St. Clair get that green light too.

The problem with TC is not the technology choice but rather it's execution. TC is improved local transit but is in no stretch of the imagination rapid and the TTC and City have been flat out lying by saying that it is.

I drove St. Clair from the western loop to Yonge St. this afternoon. I was side by side with a streetcar at Caledonia Rd but by the time I hit Yonge it was so far behind to be out of sight. I was held up at the corner on Yonge in a traffic jam caused by a fire or something for 5 minutes during which time the streetcar was still no where to be seen.

Improved local transit?

Back