620     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
Theoretically speaking, if we converted our entire heavy rail network into monorail, extending or even creating new rapid transit (aka: 100% grade separated) could become much easier and less controversial. Even if we converted it to light rail, we could expand our network at-grade and create a "semi" rapid transit network like they have in Calgary (NOT like Transit City!).

Not in a million years could anyone come up with a worse idea than this.

I think that any heavy rail conversion needs to be looked at as an investment. Sure, you can argue that we spend x million and not see a single new kilometer of new transit, but it can also mean that future extensions become much more affordable. Theoretically speaking, if we converted our entire heavy rail network into monorail, extending or even creating new rapid transit (aka: 100% grade separated) could become much easier and less controversial. Even if we converted it to light rail, we could expand our network at-grade and create a "semi" rapid transit network like they have in Calgary (NOT like Transit City!).

If we were to go with monorail, the good news is that since our subway is high floored, the stations themselves would need minimal renovations. This picture of Tokyo's monorail (I believe) illustrates what I'm talking about:

356327739_4b3fe3d68f.jpg

The bad news is that the straddle design is not fully equipped for our winters. Moscow is the only place I am aware of which has a straddle transit monorail, and it could pose a safety concern:

CnstMM10.jpg

The good news is that there is a suspended monorail where the running surfaces are covered, so that this problem (not to mention other problems caused by standard rail in winter weather) are avoided. However, retrofitting our subway would become far more difficult. Here are some GSV images of one from Chiba, Japan:

http://goo.gl/maps/ZsGi
http://goo.gl/maps/dwOd
http://goo.gl/maps/STVe
http://goo.gl/maps/gzB2

Interesting picture with the snow there. However, if there are trains running every ~5 minutes, will there really be that much of a chance for snow to pile up? The only time I could really see it being a concern is for the first train in the morning after the line has been shut down overnight.

If the conversion would cost less than the difference in doing the extension by subway compared to monorail, I'd say it would be something worth investigating. However, I don't think Toronto needs another orphan technology.

I think Toronto's best chance of doing elevated is to do it above existing rail tracks. That way there's a defined ROW, and it's less likely to piss off the neighbours.

Not in a million years could anyone come up with a worse idea than this.

I'd say designing a transit master plan around feeding new passengers onto an already overcrowded backbone subway network without even examining how (or even IF) that network is going to be able to handle the increased load, ranks pretty high up on that list as well.

Okay, so you brainstorm a better way to extend the Sheppard line without expensive tunneling genius.

It's a little master plan I call "Don't extend the Sheppard line in the first place because it's not actually required for the projected ridership."

Crazy, I know.

I'd say designing a transit master plan around feeding new passengers onto an already overcrowded backbone subway network without even examining how (or even IF) that network is going to be able to handle the increased load, ranks pretty high up on that list as well.

Transit City may have its flaws but it isn't even in the same bad idea universe as converting 60km of perfectly good subway to monorail.

Last edited:
I think the main point would be that in Toronto, given the existing infrastructure, it is simply not possible. We wouldn't do it for the entire network or even for Sheppard.

This debate seems irrelevant to the overall problem of why we are building that line in the first place, other than to complete a line for the sake of completing it.

Since when is the Sheppard subway "our entire heavy rail network"?

The discussion was mainly centred around Sheppard:

"Of course, we COULD convert the current Sheppard line to monorail, that would be the best case elevated:

Las Vegas: http://goo.gl/maps/Acyj"

I agree converting the entire system would be pointless, but there may be a case made for doing it on Sheppard, especially if it means the extension will be 1/3 the cost.

The options for Sheppard, in order of my preference are:

1. Finish the damn thing. Yes, just for completion's sake. I hate leaving things unfinished.
2. Do nothing. If there's no demand on Sheppard, as some say, then there is no reason to build an LRT.
3. BRT.
4. The brain dead idea to build an LRT on Sheppard East, resulting in three transit modes and 4 transfers for someone wanting to go from STC to York University (bus from STC to Sheppard East LRT, transfer to Sheppard Subway, transfer to bus again at Yonge-Sheppard, transfer to Spadina subway, and depending if it's built by then or not, either taking the bus from Downsview or taking the subway to York U).

The options for Sheppard, in order of my preference are:

1. Finish the damn thing. Yes, just for completion's sake. I hate leaving things unfinished.
2. Do nothing. If there's no demand on Sheppard, as some say, then there is no reason to build an LRT.
3. BRT.
4. The brain dead idea to build an LRT on Sheppard East, resulting in three transit modes and 4 transfers for someone wanting to go from STC to York University (bus from STC to Sheppard East LRT, transfer to Sheppard Subway, transfer to bus again at Yonge-Sheppard, transfer to Spadina subway, and depending if it's built by then or not, either taking the bus from Downsview or taking the subway to York U).

1. So we have limited money, but we should spend it on the Sheppard Subway because you hate leaving things unfinished?
2. Well obviously there's demand on Sheppard - there's demand on Steeles and on Lawrence and on Finch and on Keele and on pretty much every street in Toronto - the question is how much demand. If you can't understand that there is a difference between 3000 ppl/hr and 10000/hr... wow
4. 199 Finch Rocket to Finch Stn, Finch LRT to Spadina Line, Spadina Line to YorkU Stn

Back