636     2 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
I think it would be really bad politics to cancel the Eglinton line. It would piss off Rob Ford and alienate Toronto area voters against the Hudak government (it's a pretty much foregone conclusion that he will win in Oct given the Libs latest missteps and continued debacles on the energy file). I'm hoping the Eglinton is safe and can continue construction as planned as an underground LRT line.

I don't think it would piss off Rob Ford. He would happily spout off some rhetoric about "private sector" or whatever and go on his merry way. After the HIV grant vote the other day, he could pass it off as merely another way of "respecting the taxpayer" anyways.

However, the one thing the transit city debate has done is bring transit into the spotlight now, and it has become very clear that the electorate puts transit expansion at very high priority. Hudak would be a fool to even think of touching it.

I doubt we'll see outright cancellation but strategic delays to push the province's financial outlay back a few years is a real possibility. The public isn't super informed about these projects -- pushing the Eglinton LRT back from 2020 to, say, 2025 would probably go unchallenged.

So anyways, what are the next steps for transit expansion in Toronto? I think we can hold our breath on Sheppard for the time being, but since Eglinton is now fully funded, when should we expect to see some station models, blueprints, or even new maps? Also, when should we expect to see actual construction to start?

So anyways, what are the next steps for transit expansion in Toronto? I think we can hold our breath on Sheppard for the time being, but since Eglinton is now fully funded, when should we expect to see some station models, blueprints, or even new maps? Also, when should we expect to see actual construction to start?

Based on our current trajectory I'm going to guess "never."

Based on our current trajectory I'm going to guess "never."

I tend to agree with you. If we run true-to-form on progress over the last 40 years, we will end up either with nothing or with an incomplete stub of a line that we will then spend the next 30 years fighting over whether to extend or not. And that's for a line (Eglinton) that has probably more broad support than anything else proposed for the city.

I for one am optimistic about Eglinton. I've seen nothing to suggest it won't start on schedule.

Won't start construction on schedule. They've already got those TBMs. They'd be stupid not to start using them on schedule. But I guess we'll see.

Won't start construction on schedule. They've already got those TBMs. They'd be stupid not to start using them on schedule. But I guess we'll see.

When they create an idiot-proof plan, Ontario has shown that they'll just elect a bigger idiot. Nothing is guaranteed, although I do hope it'll go forward.

They haven't started on schedule. According to Metrolinx before the election, portal construction was supposed to start in January 2011. This has now been delayed.

The tender for the tunnel segments was supposed to be awarded before Christmas, and it was retendered and won't be awarded until at least March.

It's hard to say how serious the delays are at this time, but it has not started on schedule.

With the PPP thing they could perhaps resurrect that York Centre development around Black Creek. Also better to have the line veer off north at Weston Road and follow the rail corridor to the airport, especially since there's really nothing on Eglinton west of Weston Road anyway to warrant having a rapid transit line on it.

With the PPP thing they could perhaps resurrect that York Centre development around Black Creek. Also better to have the line veer off north at Weston Road and follow the rail corridor to the airport, especially since there's really nothing on Eglinton west of Weston Road anyway to warrant having a rapid transit line on it.

Well I would think that a transit hub at Martin Grove and Eglinton may be worth something. I envision having the Eglinton LRT, Mississauga BRT, and a Highway 27 BRT all coverge at that point. I figure it could potentially be a pretty major intermodal transit hub.

Well I would think that a transit hub at Martin Grove and Eglinton may be worth something. I envision having the Eglinton LRT, Mississauga BRT, and a Highway 27 BRT all coverge at that point. I figure it could potentially be a pretty major intermodal transit hub.

Additionally the line is meant to serve Eglinton and should continue on Eglinton until Martin Grove where it would ideally head to the airport in some fashion (the current layouts proposed are not ideal in my opinion). Diverting it before it gets to the end of Eglinton provides much worse service for the residents in north Etobicoke. As many people have pointed out, bus routes on Martin Grove, Kippling, Islington, etc. would probably feed the Eglinton LRT greatly as people would prefer to head East here rather than at the B-D line. Further to what gweed posted, this area is a prime target for a regional hub (assuming the zoning would allow it) as you have a major road (Eglinton) which feeds into Mississauga meeting at 2 major highways (401 and 427). I could easily see a large parking structure being constructed there (I would hope as my company designed and repairs them haha) and people coming from the west could have an option to park and head into Toronto along Eglinton.

Just my thoughts thou

Back