833     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
They haven't been cut, they've been delayed.

Ford may not need to care about an environmentalist's map, but he will eventually have to come to terms with ordinary taxpayers asking him if is plan really is the best.

At least they're be riding a network of LRTs instead of buses plus (half) a subway line or two.

Last edited:
The potential is there. You have 2 growing Centers.
From an urbanism point of view, Rapid Transit makes sense.
-Revitalize Sheppard Avenue East and extended the growth between Yonge and Don Mills farther East
-Increases quality of life, increases, density along the avenue and centers. Increases land value, increases tax revenue

I think there was a post here from last week that showed the only place that really grew was NYCC and even then both of these two growth centres are a shadow of downtown, which by the way is the only node in the city that is actually generating subway-level demand.

Phew. At least we don't lose anything important. Unless you live along Finch or commute along it. Ah well, who cares. As long as we can get to STC a touch faster! As long as you live near one of the six new stations of course. Otherwise you'd be rather screwed since there probably won't be much bus service left. Oh well.

It's fine. We'll save tens of millions by not running empty buses and replace that with spending tens of millions running empty trains.

I rode the Bloor streetcar in 1965, and it could very well have continued as a streetcar line. I take it you got that 9,000 number from Steve Munro's website. Well, Steve conveniently fails to mention that that 9,000 was at the peak point ONLY, and for maybe just 2 hours a day. When the subway opened in 1966, the loading on it was very LIGHT, and I recall everyone getting a seat, with seats to spare, even during rush hours. There were roughly 50,000 riders per day on the Bloor side, and another 50,000 on the Danforth side, for a total of 100,000. This is comparable to ridership on the Sheppard subway today (considering that it's only 1/2 of the length of the original Keele-Woodbine segment of the Bloor St. line).

By the way, ridership on BD is now 480,000 per day.

Peak point on Sheppard is 4,800 on the subway after almost a decade of operation. Barely half of the peak point on Bloor. They're numbers not seen since I read the Vaughan extension projections.

As much as the DRL would be good for passengers, most of its trips would be diverted from other TTC routes, not new ridership, so it doesn't help the operating budget much. I would think this is partly why the TTC has so little interest in it.

As opposed to Sheppard which would serve largely existing bus users but only cost much more?

For those who are curious, Yonge's ridership justified a subway.

It was the most heavily used streetcar in North America at the time, with 13-14,000 pph in the peak hour (apparently back then the peak hour was the evening rush for some reason).

Taken from a 1949 HW Tate speech, former assistant GM of the TTC.
http://speeches.empireclub.org/61156/data

13,000 peak on Yonge combined with 9,000 peak on Bloor and that's not including parallel routes? It's too bad editorials aren't fact-checked before they're published. Gordon Chong is an accomplished liar as that editorial shows.

Phew.

Globe's Gee on St. Clair non-fiasco

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-clair-streetcar-is-off-track/article1859391/

The St. Clair streetcar line is Exhibit A in Mayor Rob Ford’s case against light rail. Building a dedicated lane for the St. Clair car cost tens of millions more than expected and snarled one of the city’s main thoroughfares for years. It was such a fiasco, says Mr. Ford, that Toronto must call an immediate halt to Transit City, former mayor David Miller’s ambitious plan to lace the city with a network of light-rail lines on dedicated paths like St. Clair’s.

(only 458 comments so far...)

I think there was a post here from last week that showed the only place that really grew was NYCC and even then both of these two growth centres are a shadow of downtown, which by the way is the only node in the city that is actually generating subway-level demand.

STC hasn't grew? I guess promoters are just spending their money just for the fun of it...

Transit city (SELRT)=short term vision
Subway on Sheppard is a long term vision

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...-special20101229/20101229/?hub=TorontoNewHome
Click on the link for CTV Toronto: Toronto's skyline imagined 50 years in the future

What makes you think that the way SELRT is being built will handle that 50 years down the road? What's the solution if it does warrant its own fully separated ROW? We'll just put the line underground...Sure! At what cost in 50 years? They'll be thinking (rightfully so) that it should have been built that way in the first place.

If you're looking for an accurate comparison, look at the projections for the City of Ottawa's supplementary transit plans. They're looking at doing BRT lanes on Baseline Rd, and in-median LRT along Carling Ave, both pretty comparable suburban arterials:

Baseline BRT (Baseline Stn to Billings Bridge Stn): 7.4km, $90M = $12.16M/km

Carling LRT (Lincoln Fields Stn to Carling Stn): 6.75km, $250M/km = $37.04M/km

Triple the cost at construction time. How do the costs compare over a 25 year period? Until you compare the total costs you haven't found out if something is actually cheaper or not. Buses get replaced more frequently, standard road surfaces need replacement more frequently, smaller capacity vehicles have a higher driver to passenger ratio, and electricity costs can be lower. I would also be interested in knowing what the break downs in those costs estimates are as far as how much is attributed to utility relocation, land, and other items that aren't tied to the choice of mode. The costs that are higher for LRT construction are smooth rails which provide less rolling resistance and a electrical system that provides energy to the system. These costs are incurred because they provide some sort of benefit and without a cost evaluation that measures the savings delivered by those initial upfront costs you are not comparing apples to apples.

Last edited:
At what cost in 50 years? They'll be thinking (rightfully so) that it should have been built that way in the first place.

In the first place? You mean when they arrived in the 1800s and labour was cheap, land was cheap, and they didn't have pesky roads, traffic, and utilities to deal with. Yes, why didn't they have the foresight. I hope if they build the Sheppard line now they have the foresight to make it capable of handling 6 tracks for the future so we don't need to rip things up again later. Two tracks for regular subway service, two for express operations, and two for a crosstown high-speed rail. Once transporters are functional what a waste this infrastructure will be.

What makes you think that the way SELRT is being built will handle that 50 years down the road? What's the solution if it does warrant its own fully separated ROW? We'll just put the line underground...Sure! At what cost in 50 years? They'll be thinking (rightfully so) that it should have been built that way in the first place.

The long/mid/short term aspect of this discussion is important and key -- but also quite subjective. And hasn't there been an assumption in this debate that chosen transit corridors start as low-capacity mixed-traffic and end up as heavy metros, with a possible intermediate stage as traffic-free surface routes?

What if Sheppard East never grew past surface LRT, and instead of gnashing teeth in 30 years over the choice the 'city fathers' made in 2011, they just built more surface LRT (or BRT)? Finch East xRT, Steeles East xRT, Lawrence, etc. Repeat as needed west of Yonge...

The obvious downside is the lack of a long-haul, rapid east-west route. (Actually I think an expanded Sheppard subway is a compromise if this is the aim -- couldn't the eventual cross-city demand justify S-bahn/RER speeds & stop spacing?) The upside is more mixed-traffic bus routes get upgraded to exclusive ROW. Development is fostered, although not on the scale that favours large developers but instead small-to-midsize property owners. Jane Jacobs dug that, and why not?

Remember the key planning argument in favour of the Sheppard stubway was to allow North York Centre to continue to develop. IIRC, the OMB would not approve more growth until transport capacity was increased to the Yonge/Sheppard node. Hence Mel's push for subway...

It seems to me there are various sliding scales we each prefer. Are we building for long-term or short-term or somewhere in the middle? High-capacity or mid-? Relative travel speed. Development potential. Each of these is a trade-off and requires compromises of our vision and who we think needs to be served when, where and how.

I'd say I'm short- to mid-term focused, on average, with long-term being a relative luxury that I compromise on because of the decades-long transit drought. I acknowledge the trade-off in favour of current riders at the expense of riders in mid-century and beyond.

In this continuum, I see the lean toward subway-building -- to the point of excluding surface rail in 416 -- as unwilling to short-change future citizens (a completely understandable position) but also inexplicably silent on the experience of contemporary riders who now ride in mixed traffic routes.

On speed and distance travelled, I'd say I've moved to the slower, shorter end of the spectrum -- also a shift from where I used to be. I weigh local travel as heavily as long-distance, and so tolerate the surface stop-spacing of TC.

I'm for more coverage of geographic area (with higher-order transit) compared to building subways fed by surface routes (that would likely be mixed traffic). Once again, not an absolute position but a place on a sliding scale.

On average I'm willing to sacrifice the weather-reliability and capacity of tunnels in favour of the fractional cost and timeliness of surface construction. "Subways are the only way to go" is too doctrinaire for me. (I wish we were building the Red line and settled on BRT or LRT to Vaughan, but politics are how we plan.)

If there weren't political/financial and geographic realities to contend with, my uber-ideal might be a steady build of subways along with rapid construction of exclusive transit lanes -- esp. BRT -- on many, many major arterials in 416 and 905. But my take on the current reality forces a compromise to this vision.

ed d.

Triple the cost at construction time.

Tripling costs doesn't change the fact that BRT cheaper to build... Increasing by the same percentage still leaves it as 66% cheaper.

How do the costs compare over a 25 year period? Until you compare the total costs you haven't found out if something is actually cheaper or not. Buses get replaced more frequently, standard road surfaces need replacement more frequently, smaller capacity vehicles have a higher driver to passenger ratio, and electricity costs can be lower.

Is BRT really going to cost 66% more to operate over a 25 year period compared to LRT? I don't think so... I think you're grasping at straws here.

I would also be interested in knowing what the break downs in those costs estimates are as far as how much is attributed to utility relocation, land, and other items that aren't tied to the choice of mode.

There were breakdowns in that link that I posted there. It's towards the bottom of the document.

The costs that are higher for LRT construction are smooth rails which provide less rolling resistance and a electrical system that provides energy to the system.

Do you really think that 'less rolling resistance' is going to cover a 66% cost differential? Wow, BRT must have a crapload of friction...

These costs are incurred because they provide some sort of benefit and without a cost evaluation that measures the savings delivered by those initial upfront costs you are not comparing apples to apples.

Even if you do want to compare the two, over a 25 year period, the operational savings that LRT has over BRT comes NOWHERE CLOSE to the extra capital they require to build. Especially if you're dealing with under 5,000 pphpd. That's like saying that a Highlander Hybrid gets better fuel economy, and thus saves more on gas, compared to a Hyundai Sonata, therefore it's better. But that completely ignores the fact that the Sonata is $25,000 less to buy. So, in reality, which one is cheaper?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-clair-streetcar-is-off-track/article1859391/

The St. Clair streetcar line is Exhibit A in Mayor Rob Ford’s case against light rail. Building a dedicated lane for the St. Clair car cost tens of millions more than expected and snarled one of the city’s main thoroughfares for years. It was such a fiasco, says Mr. Ford, that Toronto must call an immediate halt to Transit City, former mayor David Miller’s ambitious plan to lace the city with a network of light-rail lines on dedicated paths like St. Clair’s.

(only 458 comments so far...)

I calculated his average trip speed at 14.3km/h. The article says this is 8 minutes faster for the trip, so before before it was 10.9km/h average. Either way, St. Clair wasn't "Transit City 101" as Ford claims it to be. At most, the shelters could be considered "Transit City beta," but that's it.

Someone posted this link in another thread (http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/sheppard_east_lrt/pdf/completion/ea_report_master_part1.pdf), and the last page gives some insight to the stop spacing and proposed speed. Currently the Sheppard bus moves at 17km/h, Sheppard East at 400m stops would move at 22.5km/h (32% speed increase), and at 800m would be 26.5km/h (55% speed increase). To put this into perspective, according to these numbers currently to get from Morningside to Don Mills takes 43 minutes, 400m LRT would take 33 minutes, and 800m would take 28 minutes. While the time savings of 5 minutes might seem insignificant, keep in mind that the trip to Don Mills is only one leg of the trip for most people, and they would need to also transfer to the subway at Don Mills and again at Yonge.

I also question the validity of the average speed numbers of the larger stop spacing. On the Bloor-Danforth line between Keele and Bathurst, I calculated the average stop spacing is almost 700m (675m to be exact) and the average speed to be at 30km/h. The average speed of the Montreal Metro (according to Wikipedia) is 40km/h, and the average stop spacing there is about 900m (922m to be exact). The TTC's model claimed to use signal priority, so theoretically the average speed at stops every 800m should be closer to 35km/h, not 26.5km/h.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make with this is that St. Clair is not LRT, but neither is Sheppard East.

Last edited:
The obvious downside is the lack of a long-haul, rapid east-west route. (Actually I think an expanded Sheppard subway is a compromise if this is the aim -- couldn't the eventual cross-city demand justify S-bahn/RER speeds & stop spacing?)

This is where it bugs me that GO gets let off the hook. Isn't what commuters are really looking for in the Northern part of the city is a crosstown GO service?

We try to shoehorn the TTC into this kind of commuter rail role and it works great during rush hour on weekdays but then bleeds money on evenings and weekends.

Tripling costs doesn't change the fact that BRT cheaper to build.

I'm saying the price of an LRT as quoted is triple the cost of a BRT at construction time.

Is BRT really going to cost 66% more to operate over a 25 year period compared to LRT? I don't think so... I think you're grasping at straws here.

I think the cost of carrying the same number of passengers a well loaded LRT can carry in buses IS more expensive in buses. Why wouldn't we run diesel bus-trains instead of building metros with rail and electricity if making them with tires on asphalt using diesel was cheaper? $37M per km if that entire investment was expended in 25 years would mean $1.48M/y/km. Even if transit closed on Sundays and used only 12 hours per day that is $400/hr/km (or a $266/hr/km difference between LRT and BRT). Once you start throwing ridership at that infrastructure cost at a level where LRT is truly warranted you end up at a position where the vehicle costs, staff costs, maintenance costs, and energy costs are more than the cost of the infrastructure and to carry 300 people requires more energy in a bus, more employee hours, more vehicles, and greater maintenance.

Do you really think that 'less rolling resistance' is going to cover a 66% cost differential? Wow, BRT must have a crapload of friction...

No, the cost difference would be the combination of energy efficiency, energy cost, employment cost, maintenance cost, and vehicle costs per passenger. As ridership goes up the operational costs of BRT go up faster than the operational costs of LRT. LRT costs start higher but at beyond a certain ridership level the LRT costs become cheaper than BRT. The whole point of cost benefit analysis is to look at what ridership that transition occurs.

Even if you do want to compare the two, over a 25 year period, the operational savings that LRT has over BRT comes NOWHERE CLOSE to the extra capital they require to build. Especially if you're dealing with under 5,000 pphpd. That's like saying that a Highlander Hybrid gets better fuel economy, and thus saves more on gas, compared to a Hyundai Sonata, therefore it's better. But that completely ignores the fact that the Sonata is $25,000 less to buy. So, in reality, which one is cheaper?

The affordability is really determined by how far each will take a target number of people and cargo and at what cost. It would come down to how far each can go before needing replacement, the cost of energy, the cost of maintenance, and if one couldn't handle the target load the additional cost of going back and picking up what couldn't be picked up in the first trip. They have shown that for the average person the price difference of only $7000 for a hybrid could not be made up at current gas prices so I would suspect, assuming the Sonata has enough space and doesn't require significantly more maintenance, that the Sonata would be cheaper. However, under some usage conditions it might be possible to create a scenario where it would be more cost advantageous to have the Hylander. That is my point... it isn't cut and dry.

You first determine the expected capacity requirements, the expected energy costs, the expected human resource costs, the infrastructure costs, the vehicle costs, etc, etc, then you run the numbers and see what makes sense. In some cases LRT will be cheaper than the bus equivalent. That is why LRT exists... because in certain conditions the cost benefit analysis shows it is cheaper to use. If a route isn't cheaper to operate an LRT on than it is to run BRT on then that same route makes zero sense as a subway... that is the bottom line.

Last edited:
Contrasting Transit City with Ford's "plan" is just an exercise in political propaganda, and I could say it reveals the Toronto Environmental Alliance to be a joke if its embarrassing utterings during the election campaign hadn't already confirmed that.

The Transit City plan being used in this comparison was first unveiled after Miller's 2006 re-election in March, 2007. Similarly, Ford will (supposedly) release his (supposedly) comprehensive transportation plan as early as next month. Only then can a proper comparison be made.

Right now Ford has no plan. All we have from him is what he released before the election, so the only honest evaluation at this time (though still useless) would be to compare Ford's 2010 campaign map to Miller's from 2006 -- if anyone can actually find one of those.

Back