539     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
The artics on Yonge St have no problems in ThornHILL, Richmond HILL, or on the other side of the moraine in Aurora and Newmarket.

If you are talking about VIVA, yes they will do the job as they are pullers while rest of NA are pushers and that a big different. Pushing an extra 5 ton vs. pulling 5 tons is a lot harder in snow.

NFI, NOVA and NABI are all pushers.

Bullshit, GO stations in the 416 are sparingly used because the type of service is nowhere near what is provided by the TTC. Riders in Toronto don't want peak service only they want a true regional transit service that runs most of the day.
I suspect the extra cost of riding GO on top of your local TTC trip just may have something to do with this.

I don't recall quite as many buses dodging left-turning cars on Rideau - doesn't it tend to have left-turn lanes?

At some spots yes (major intersections mainly), but a lot of the smaller side streets don't. Streets like Dufferin also have turning lanes at major intersections too. It is also has on-street parking, which is what I was trying to relate to (traditional main street, narrow ROW, on-street parking).

Only from 4 pm to 6 pm. The buses don't magically stop at 6 pm. At 6:30 pm, buses move frequently in both directions, often stuck with parking on one side, and turning vehicles on the other.

Extend no on-street parking hours. Problem solved. Also would probably raise more money for the city by having more illegal parking fines, haha.

Originally Posted by Woodbridge_Heights
Bullshit, GO stations in the 416 are sparingly used because the type of service is nowhere near what is provided by the TTC. Riders in Toronto don't want peak service only they want a true regional transit service that runs most of the day.
I suspect the extra cost of riding GO on top of your local TTC trip just may have something to do with this.
My daughter recently moved into a home north of Bloor and west of Dundas and discovered that the GO train and BD subway were equally accessible. The TTC ride required a transfer and 30 minutes to get to her downtown office, GO got her there in 10 minutes with no transfers for about a dollar more per ride. Guess which one she uses when the timing is right? I can't vouch for the times or prices they are what I remember her telling us at a dinner party.

At some spots yes (major intersections mainly), but a lot of the smaller side streets don't. Streets like Dufferin also have turning lanes at major intersections too. It is also has on-street parking, which is what I was trying to relate to (traditional main street, narrow ROW, on-street parking).
I don't use Dufferin that often, and when I have, I haven't noticed much of a problem. It was the Don Mills bus on Pape I was referring to. It doesn't have turning lanes.

Extend no on-street parking hours.
The BIA would have a bird. But even if you did, it still becomes a problem when it ends. Even mid-day it can be a problem with parked cars, and a car or two trying to turn. The current service weaves in and around everything.

If you live near Dundas West (Bloor) or Main (Danforth) stations and you are working right downtownk, then GO beats the subway easily. I'm a 20-minute walk from Danforth Station, and if I happen to be by Union when the GO Train is leaving in rush-hour, it's still a bit faster ride home. And the comfort and space is far better ... it's like riding the gravy train!

If 30 min train ride is too long with one transfer I fear for the city. That has to be a relatively short commute in comparison to others.

I don't use Dufferin that often, and when I have, I haven't noticed much of a problem. It was the Don Mills bus on Pape I was referring to. It doesn't have turning lanes.

I haven't used that bus that often (maybe twice), but my friend lives near Dufferin and Dupont, so I take the Dufferin bus quite a bit. Haven't really noticed any issues either with parked cars on the side.

What annoys me the most with that route is that 3 buses come in a row, and then none for 10-15 mins. I know they're trying to "train" them, but you have to think that running 2 artics instead of 3 regular buses in a row would be more efficient, and would allow them to run at 5 min headways without overloading the route.

I know they're trying to "train" them, but you have to think that running 2 artics instead of 3 regular buses in a row would be more efficient, and would allow them to run at 5 min headways without overloading the route.
I agree. And on routes where they could work, and if they can find some that can go up hills, and will last more than 8 years, sure, we should get some.

All I'm saying is that we shouldn't go now and spend a lot of money to widen Sheppard from 4 lanes to 6 lanes with a bus-lane, rather than LRT.

Lot's of news this norming.

After meeting with McGuinty, Ford didn't say to much.

"We're going to work with the province to implement our plan, our subway plan," said Ford as he emerged from the meeting at Queen's Park

He then went on to say that "vote was never needed to implement it, so one wouldn't be needed to scrap the project" Uh ...what??

The Star's version doesn't seem to reveal as much detail and angles it to be slightly more conflictive (with Transit city): http://www.thestar.com/news/article/902716--ford-tight-lipped-on-transit-after-mcguinty-meeting?bn=1

I agree. And on routes where they could work, and if they can find some that can go up hills, and will last more than 8 years, sure, we should get some.

All I'm saying is that we shouldn't go now and spend a lot of money to widen Sheppard from 4 lanes to 6 lanes with a bus-lane, rather than LRT.

I drive a stretch of Woodroffe every day where they have curbside bus lanes as part of the SW Transitway. They seem to work fine to me, and they were installed for significantly less than what an in-median LRT would cost (they had to widen the road as well, and completely redesign the road to fit under a rail overpass). The majority of Sheppard (especially east of Agincourt) is not that different from Woodroffe.

If you are talking about VIVA, yes they will do the job as they are pullers while rest of NA are pushers and that a big different. Pushing an extra 5 ton vs. pulling 5 tons is a lot harder in snow.

NFI, NOVA and NABI are all pushers.

It will be interesting to see what happens since the new Viva buses are coming from Nova... Anyways, I'm sure if a large order contract were to be up for grabs, they could modify their drivetrains into RWD from FWD. And besides, Orion is overdue for a new articulated bus...

Back