586     1 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
Metrolinx will compromise by putting the Eglinton line underground between Weston and Don Mills, while still building the remaining plan in median to save money.

That's not really a compromise. That's pretty much exactly what is being proposed now...

I'm willing to bet the tunneled part of Eglinton will be HRT and there will be nothing going from its ends except buses, the Sheppard line will be extended to Agincourt where LRT can continue eastward, the subway will be extended later on to STC, but the bones will be there and it won't be castrated by the streetcar. Oh and the SRT will be a subway.. That sounds about fair?

That's my bet.

I think the likely comprimise is that the Eglinton underground portion continues as LRT, as Ford can claim that the line doesn't travel the surface and thus is a "subway". While Sheppard goes forward as subway from Downsview to STC.

I'm willing to bet the tunneled part of Eglinton will be HRT

Given you never bothered to address the previously raised problems with making Eglinton HRT, let alone all the delays to the schedule due to the change, I'm willing to bet you are wrong. Making Eglinton HRT is not a matter of flipping a switch, waving a wand and saying 'Abracadabra - LRT become HRT'.

Also, working on the theory that right-wing governments are clearly our best hope for transit expansion I am throwing my support behind the Natural Law party in the next federal election.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given you never bothered to address the previously raised problems with making Eglinton HRT, let alone all the delays to the schedule due to the change, I'm willing to bet you are wrong. Making Eglinton HRT is not a matter of flipping a switch, waving a wand and saying 'Abracadabra - LRT become HRT'.

I would agree with that. At this point I think they'll just build the tunnel, and the say "yeah, it's a subway". At this point, it's not worth the delay to convert the plans to be HRT. Just go with it.

I'm just going to quote this because it interests me a great deal.

Also, working on the theory that right-wing governments are clearly our best hope for transit expansion I am throwing my support behind the Natural Law party in the next federal election.

Maybe we should bring Mike Harris back to champion transit expansion, he'd be the perfect spokesman! It would be like Michael Vick being the spokesman for the Humane Society, it's a perfect fit!

I think the likely comprimise is that the Eglinton underground portion continues as LRT, as Ford can claim that the line doesn't travel the surface and thus is a "subway". While Sheppard goes forward as subway from Downsview to STC.

Politically perhaps Eglinton will survive. Nunziata, Stintz, and Parker are all on Ford's exec and I can't see them accepting nothing for their wards and having all the money sent to Scarbrough. Nunziata has been fighting for an Eglinton Line ever since she was first elected mayor of York, and Stintz also supports it.

For the Sheppard Line the most likely fate is year or so of haggling between Metrolinx, Ford, and the TTC. Hudak will then be elected in 2011 and refuse to give any more money to a line that runs through the two safest Liberal seats in the province, and the whole thing will die for another ten years.

I think the likely outcome is that everyone takes this as an opportunity to save some money and not build anything. But then I'm cynical.
Even if there is every intent by all parties to build subway instead of LRT, it will take 4 years or so before we get to the point where we are about to issue construction contracts (which is where we are currently on Shepaprd ... and Eglinton as well, with the contracts for the portals to be tendered early next year, and with huge tender for the Eglinton and Sheppard tunnel segments already tendered.

So what happens in 4 years ... that's a long way down the road. And where does the money come from.

They are crazy if they don't conitnue with Sheppard LRT and at least the tunnelled section fo the Eglinton LRT now. Delaying it will just make it less likely that anything will ever get built.

He's been on the job for 12 hours

35052 to go.

How does Ford reconcile not wasting taxpayers' money with (potential) cancellation fees? Oy.

Last edited:
During the election campaign, the Toronto Environmental Alliance asked each candidate "Will you work to complete the Transit City Light Rail Plan by 2020 as endorsed by the TTC, Toronto City Council and Premier Dalton McGuinty in 2007?"

Yes - 21
Peter Milczyn
Anthony Peruzza
Maria Aguimeri
Frances Nunziata
Sarah Doucette
Gord Perks
Ana Bailao
Mike Layton
Adam Vaughan
Joe Mihevc
John Filion
Kristyn Wong-Tam
Pam McConnell
Mary Fragadakis
Paula Fletcher
Janet Davis
Mary-Margaret McMahon
Shelley Carroll
Michael Thompson
Glen De Baermaker
Ron Moeser

No - 4
Vincent Crisanti
Frank Di Giorgio
Jaye Robinson
Raymond Cho

Didn't Answer - 19
Doug Ford
Doug Holyday
Gloria Lindsay-Luby
Mark Grimes
Giorgio Mammoliti
James Pasternak
Josh Colle
Karen Stintz
Cesar Palacio
Josh Matlow
David Shiner
John Parker
Denzil Minan-Wong
Michelle Berardinetti
Gary Crawford
Mike Del Grande
Norm Kelly
Chin Lee
Paul Ainslie

21 councillors supported transit city, there are a few others in the did not answer who are known supporters (Matlow, Colle) that should give that group an overall majority.

There are several candidates, however, who campaigned on being in favour of Transit City (Milczyn, Nunziata, Thompson, and Stintz) who are now on Ford's executive and abandoning the plan might have been the price they had to pay for the appointment.

Back