573     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
4,200 for the short stubway between Eglinton West and Black Creek? Not surprising at all.

But going from that short stubway to the full crosstown route (be it a subway, or an LRT with near-subway speed) and increasing that number to just 5,400? This is ... very counter-intuitive, to put it mildly.
If I remember correctly from looking in the Eglinton EA document, the highest demand is west of Eglinton West station. It stands to figure that most of those people would take the stubway. But not all, which is why the longer route has 30% more riders than the stubway. But that still is only barely over 5,000. I don't see how this is counter-intuitive. This has been studied to death by people more qualified than both of us.

From posts of SimonP in another thread ...
Your kidding right ... your basing density around the Eglinton line on population from Dupont to 401? What happened to the old 5-minute walking standard?

You folks question years of highly detailed demand modelling, and replace it with a simple analysis of population from Dupont to 401? And yet you question those who do the work professionally?

I'm just shocked at the gall!

Residents south of the 401 most definitely would use the Eglinton Line. Depending on what happens along Finch, a sizable number from Steeles southwards could also utilize Eglinton as their primary east-west RT route. Even at St Clair there might be more incentive to travel counter-flow towards Eglinton than through flow traffic towards the Bloor-Danforth. It stands to reason that one-third to close to one-half of all present day north-of-Bloor N-S bus users would transfer at Eglinton in order to catch a seat on YUS prior to the bottlenecks at St George and Bloor-Yonge.

You keep telling the civic engineers that volunteeringly donate their time to posting here that our figures are insubstantial because we're not under the employ of the biased and corrupt TTC, but tell us, how are their consultants arriving at the figure 5400 ppdph? Where's their chain of evidence, or are you a hypocrite?

Your kidding right ... your basing density around the Eglinton line on population from Dupont to 401? What happened to the old 5-minute walking standard?

You folks question years of highly detailed demand modelling, and replace it with a simple analysis of population from Dupont to 401? And yet you question those who do the work professionally?

I'm just shocked at the gall!

This was not my calculation (SimonP's), but I mostly agree with it. I would set the southern boundary of the Eglinton corridor halfway between Eglinton and St Clair, but the northern boundary even further north (at Finch in the west and at Sheppard in the east).

The 5-minute walking standard is totally irrelevant for the subway ridership calculation. Obviously, the majority of Eglinton subway riders would come from feeder buses; this the case for Bloor as well.

This has been studied to death by people more qualified than both of us.

I believe that they are qualified in math. However, the output of any model depends greatly on the input assumptions. Rules for choosing those assumptions are quite loose.

Fresh Start has a good point here: if you put so much trust in that 5400 ppdph max figure, then you should disclose the details of the modeling.

Even at St Clair there might be more incentive to travel counter-flow towards Eglinton than through flow traffic towards the Bloor-Danforth. It stands to reason that one-third to close to one-half of all present day north-of-Bloor N-S bus users would transfer at Eglinton in order to catch a seat on YUS prior to the bottlenecks at St George and Bloor-Yonge.

I'm pretty sure the densely populated portions of St Clair will continue to use the 512 to get to the YUS. Why would they take a bus, transfer, and transfer again. Same goes for Finch (depending on implementation). The whole 'to get a seat' argument makes no sense either if your trying argue how busy those new transfer points will be.

You keep telling the civic engineers that volunteeringly donate their time to posting here that our figures are insubstantial because we're not under the employ of the biased and corrupt TTC, but tell us, how are their consultants arriving at the figure 5400 ppdph? Where's their chain of evidence, or are you a hypocrite?
Corrupt TTC?

Why the slander?

Well, that discredits anything you have, and ever will say!

BTW, what on earth is a civic engineer? ROTFLMAO!

Go stick the tin foil hat back on.

They'll be busy, but as Eglinton's not downtown transfer points won't be nearly as congested as the B-Y interchange. The counterflow arguments works if you live blocks north of St Clair and require a bus transfer to head south. Also, how is a 6 km long streetcar line comparable to a 30-35 kilometre long crosstown RT route?

I believe that they are qualified in math.
What has math got to do with it? Hopefully they are qualified in other things.

However, the output of any model depends greatly on the input assumptions. Rules for choosing those assumptions are quite loose.
What do you mean loose. Surely whatever is done would make sense, or one wouldn't be able to calibrate it.

Fresh Start has a good point here: if you put so much trust in that 5400 ppdph max figure, then you should disclose the details of the modeling.
Why do you think I have the details of the modelling? However the various models done over the years don't seem to differ significantly ... that's always the best test.

Unless your willing to sit down and do proper transport demand modelling to check various assumptions, I really don't think anyone here should be pulling vastly different demand numbers out of their imagination.

Corrupt TTC?

Why the slander?

Well, that discredits anything you have, and ever will say!

BTW, what on earth is a civic engineer? ROTFLMAO!

Go stick the tin foil hat back on.

It's no secret that the TTC has a bias towards light-rail expansion. So if they tweak the numbers in that mode's favor, then yes they are being corrupt. It's not slanderous to say that.

Oh, and if it wasn't abundantly clear that I meant civil but wrote civic by mistake, perhaps it is you that needs to take stock of your conspiracies.

Last edited:
It's no secret that the TTC has a bias towards light-rail expansion. So if they tweak the numbers in that mode's favor, then yes they are being corrupt.
What? What on earth would that, even if true, have to do with corruption. Do you even know the meaning of the word?

Corrupt (adjective) 1 - influenced by or using bribery or fraudulent activity; 2 - morally depraved

Oh, and if it wasn't abundantly clear that I meant civil but wrote civic my mistake, perhaps it is you that needs to take stock of your conspiracies.
It wasn't clear at all. In all my years as a civil engineer I have never heard that before. So you are saying you have civil engineers who are posting here, saying the TTC numbers are wrong? Who are we talking about here; because as a civil engineer, I haven't seen anything to make me think they could be out by a power of 2.

Last edited:
"corruptness: lack of integrity or honesty; use of a position of trust for dishonest gain"

wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

I wouldn't go as far as suggesting bribery.

"corruptness: lack of integrity or honesty; use of a position of trust for dishonest gain"

wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

I wouldn't go as far as suggesting bribery.
But you have implied it, by using an obscure reference to justify the use of the word corrupt, that differs from any Canadian English definition. One might say that is corrupt! :)

But back the the main question here. What Engineer here is your source for questioning those demand numbers?

Back