892     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
TC LRTs are double-ended. They can turn around wherever. I imagine they'll be crossovers every X km or whatever.
They'd have to build an extra crossover point right near Leslie, just for temp usage... to connect up the LRT to the bus.

Perhaps it would make more sense to run BRT until the tunnel is built.

Last edited:
They'd have to build an extra crossover point right near Leslie, just for temp usage... to connect up the LRT to the bus.

Perhaps it would make more sense to run BRT until the tunnel is built.

One way a partial opening could make sense: Allen road to the airport is built and opened first.

See, the Ministry of Transportation says the Eglington Crosstown LRT will be done in 2016. That one they have to build a very long tunnel so.
I stand corrected. Does seem optimistic - but I guess if they really start digging in 2010 they have a chance.

^ Why would it seem optimistic? That's 7.5 years from now till the end of 2016 for a line with only 1/3 of it buried. One would hope that the TTC could do better than that.

^ Why would it seem optimistic? That's 7.5 years from now till the end of 2016 for a line with only 1/3 of it buried. One would hope that the TTC could do better than that.
Construction isn't even currently planned to start until 2010. On a line with complex connections at Eglinton, Eglinton West, Kennedy and Pearson. Using a technology that has yet to be chosen, with many kilometres of tunnel, still waiting to complete the environmental assessment. Look at the Union Station second platform ... they started in 2003, the Environmental assessment was completed in 2005, full funding came in 2005, preliminary construction started in 2006, and heavy construction doesn't start until 2010 - who knows when they will finish. Look at the Pearson train ... funding was provided in 2003, and maybe they will start construction in 2010.

If Eglinton opens in 2016, I'll be suprised. Thrilled, but surprised.

Eglinton, Lawrence East, Leslie buses will be gone; but a few bays would still be needed for 5 Avenue, 61 Avenue North, and 103 Mt Pleasant buses.

Not likely, there will still have to be Lawrence East, Flemington Park, Leaside and Leslie buses routing along Eglinton Avenue East unless they revamp all of these routes to avoid Eglinton.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not likely, there will still have to be Lawrence East, Flemington Park, Leaside and Leslie buses routing along Eglinton Avenue East unless they revamp all of these routes to avoid Eglinton.

They can connect these buses at the LRT station rather than the subway station.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to run some of those buses to Yonge, and use them as local service over the tunneled section of LRT.

However, I heard that the LRT design includes a small bus station at Eglinton / Leslie, which will act as a terminus for those buses.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to run some of those buses to Yonge, and use them as local service over the tunneled section of LRT.

However, I heard that the LRT design includes a small bus station at Eglinton / Leslie, which will act as a terminus for those buses.

You heard right, but perhaps at the wrong location. I've heard Don Mills where the two LRT lines will connect.

Raises good questions about how Transit City will be implemented.

PUBLICATION: The Toronto Star
DATE: 2009.05.21
EDITION: Met
SECTION: Gta
PAGE: GT03
BYLINE: Royson James
SOURCE: Toronto Star
COPYRIGHT: © 2009 Torstar Corporation
WORD COUNT: 556

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questioning the calamity of St. Clair

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last thing Howard Levine said before we parted company at St. Clair West subway station yesterday was, "Don't make me out to be too much of an ogre."

The first thing he said in initiating the tour of the "St. Clair calamity," the streetcar right-of-way now under construction, was this: "If St. Clair is the template for Transit City, Toronto is hurtling towards disaster."

Levine is a retired planner, city councillor, transit buff and incurable activist who lives along the controversial transit route. His claims may be alarmist, but there is much at stake - the $10 billion Transit City plan, bouncing along with far too little public debate and critical scrutiny.

Construction along St. Clair Ave. W. creeps along. Businesses along the construction zone are naturally hurting. The finished portions are not nearly as fetching as anticipated. And when it is completed - from Yonge St. to Jane St. - travellers will save about a minute in commuting time. All for about $100 million.

This would be an old story - except lines along Eglinton, Sheppard, Finch, Jane, Don Mills and elsewhere promise the same technology with a similar approach.

Levine loves streetcars. He helped save them in the 1970s when the TTC planned to mothball them. But the plans for a new St. Clair line were so misguided, Levine says, he insisted on an environmental assessment that would examine details of the proposal. The province said no, but struck a committee to monitor the work. Levine is on the committee, along with ex-mayor John Sewell and resident Margaret Smith, a vocal opponent.

Levine's frustration mounts.

What should have been a win-win for everyone - transit, cycling community, the neighbourhood - satisfies no one. And the reason, Levine says, is a stubborn transit hierarchy. Instead of employing best practices from around the world, where light rail seems to be the mode of the future, the TTC continues to reinvent the wheel.

TTC insisted on a six-inch-high concrete platform in the middle of the street to separate streetcars from cars, though other cities use more flexible and efficient methods. Engineers and designers compounded the problem by installing high centre poles to suspend electrical wires and light the tracks.

To make way for emergency vehicles and the poles, the streetcar bed had to be wider. It's still pinched and dangerous for emergency vehicles. The roads department insisted on two through lanes for traffic, so the wider right-of-way robbed space for a bike lane and sidewalks.

The raised concrete bed - as opposed to bollards or other barriers at grade - must return to street level at intersections to allow cross-traffic; this necessitates constantly ramping up and down, and left and right to align with the centre poles. Engineering, design and maintenance costs rise as a result.

Along the route, Levine points out that finishes to street furniture are often cheap and of a "mean design," not representative of a major city. Transit shelter stops are poorly lit because the original lighting scheme that required the high centre poles was abandoned, though the poles remained. Painted steel rails adorn instead of lower-maintenance stainless steel. Wood bracers are employed where metal would last longer.

Are these the nitpicky preoccupations of a curmudgeon? Or signs of an ossified bureaucracy likely to saddle us with systems that cost more money and reduce service on the streets?

Tough to tell. So we ask.

I also don't understand why the tracks must be raised like that. But I don't think road width is a problem for much of the new lines.

A lot of the issues in the article I find to be subjective opinions about the physical design, so to each his own...

But, lets not forget that the one-minute time saving claims don't take into account how unreliable the mixed-traffic operation was. The $100 million investment doesn't just bring 1 minute faster travel times - it also brings reliability and the ability to throw more cars down the line without them getting stuck in traffic.

Back