498     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
So far Eglinton, Finch, and Sheppard paid for without any city money. Time for city council to step up to the plate and pay for the vehicles to replace the streetcars they should have been planning to replace for the last 30-40 years.

So is that the federal stimulus fund in action?

I would guess so. I would also expect to see some Union Station stimulus. With the stimulus funding attached to timelines only projects well into the design phase with quick timelines can qualify. The Dufferin Station project, Kipling, Islington, some Union Station components, and some waterfront components should be able to qualify.

From what I heard, the only applications Toronto made for stimulus money was Transit City and the streetcar order... Now TC is taken care of...

I thought streetcars didn't qualify because it was going to take to long to fill the order. It would be pretty stupid if the city only applied for stimulus funding on items that don't meet the requirements of the stimulus fund. If they did that then they are really suggesting the federal government if bluffing or will back down in its requirements. I'm not sure why that would be necessary... this city has a ton of projects which are at the final phase of community consultation which should be able to go ahead.

I thought streetcars didn't qualify because it was going to take to long to fill the order. It would be pretty stupid if the city only applied for stimulus funding on items that don't meet the requirements of the stimulus fund.

I think there's a big difference between it not qualifying because it doesn't actually qualify or it not qualifying because the federal government is just cold to the idea and/or wants the project to go ahead on their terms (they want to make the big announcement). I suspect it's the latter.

Ugh. The one project I vehemently am against gets funded. Yeah cuz it makes so much sense to make the stub PERMANENT. Your tax dollars at work.

Ugh. The one project I vehemently am against gets funded. Yeah cuz it makes so much sense to make the stub PERMANENT. Your tax dollars at work.

It wouldn't be a permanent stub if people would wake up and realize that the mode of technolgy in the tunnel is far too grandiose for the meagre number of passengers it's serving on a daily basis. LRT and ICTS are the wave of the future, and most North American cities have caught onto that reality. Just look at all the recent additions to Vancouver's metro. I sincerely dobut all that would've been accmplishable were it subways. I'd rather see new subways reserved for areas already densely populated enough to sustain stations every 600-850m apart. Sheppard Avenue simply doesn't fit that criterion, especially east of Victoria Park.

If anything, the failure of the Sheppard Subway stands as a precautionary tale of what could happen to anyone trigger-happy to expand the subway network deeper out into the suburbs in an attempt to stimulate urban growth there.

It wouldn't be a permanent stub if people would wake up and realize that the mode of technolgy in the tunnel is far too grandiose for the meagre number of passengers it's serving on a daily basis. LRT and ICTS are the wave of the future, and most North American cities have caught onto that reality. Just look at all the recent additions to Vancouver's metro. I sincerely dobut all that would've been accmplishable were it subways. I'd rather see new subways reserved for areas already densely populated enough to sustain stations every 600-850m apart. Sheppard Avenue simply doesn't fit that criterion, especially east of Victoria Park.

If anything, the failure of the Sheppard Subway stands as a precautionary tale of what could happen to anyone trigger-happy to expand the subway network deeper out into the suburbs in an attempt to stimulate urban growth there.

How is the Sheppard subway a failure? How many short subway lines have that kind of ridership? (outside of the cores of super-dense cities like Paris) In terms of ridership per KM, it's busier than every LRT line in North America. The Sheppard subway is busier than the Blue Line in Boston but only half as long, and it's busier than the Purple, Pink, and Yellow lines in Chicago. Almost all of those lines actually go through the CBD, unlike Sheppard which is a suburban line that doesn't really connect any big destinations (but it easily could).

Development is booming along Sheppard and will continue to grow. In the early 2000s the TTC actually studied rapid transit expansion in depth (unlike this plan) and recommended extending Sheppard, saying ""if all of the TTC’s base capital needs were to be fully funded, the TTC’s highest priority for rapid transit expansion would be either a northerly extension of the Spadina Subway to York University/Steeles Avenue, or an easterly extension of the Sheppard Subway to Victoria Park, CN/CP or the Scarborough City Centre" These days the TTC's capital needs are being funded but instead we are building tram lines on Sheppard. We should have subway connecting STC, NYCC, and potentially Downsview.

Last edited:
In the early 2000s the TTC actually studied rapid transit expansion in depth (unlike this plan) and recommended extending Sheppard, saying ""if all of the TTC’s base capital needs were to be fully funded, the TTC’s highest priority for rapid transit expansion would be either a northerly extension of the Spadina Subway to York University/Steeles Avenue, or an easterly extension of the Sheppard Subway to Victoria Park, CN/CP or the Scarborough City Centre"

That was the work of lobbyists, not planners.

Lobbyists and logical planning coincided happily along Sheppard.

And anyone that thinks the Agincourt Mall area is not "densely populated enough" has certainly never been there and is relying on google map satellite photos (google map photos of the Agincourt Mall area were taken when the sun was high in the sky, reducing the shadows of all the local highrise and making them much less prominent compared to tower clusters photographed near dawn or dusk). What would be "densely populated enough"? Kowloon?

Back